Author Topic: X-Wing Alliance is available on GOG... And it now works with XWAUP!  (Read 4523 times)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
X-Wing Alliance is available on GOG... And it now works with XWAUP!
I've been wanting to own this for a while, and now I do! Even better, as of today, it works with the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project's work! Check it out:

http://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_xwing_alliance

http://www.xwaupgrade.com/

EDIT: HNNNG! GOG now has Rebellion!

http://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_rebellion
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: X-Wing Alliance is available on GOG... And it now works with XWAUP!
Thanks for that.  :yes:

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
ROUGE SQUADRON, WHERE IS OUR COVER?!

http://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_rogue_squadron_3d

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Bit late there and XWAUP says that it doesn't actually work yet, sorry, but-

EDIT: HNNNG! GOG now has Rebellion!

http://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_rebellion

-holy ****!

"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Hmmm... that's a bit disappointing to hear, NGTM-1R: it was a big happy announcement last night, if you read the headline on XWAUP. No matter, I have to assume it will be fixed soon. :)

As per Rebellion, I fired it up and it worked perfectly well during a quick test. It's already updated to version 1.0.1 - any other utilities should be at the Rebellion fan site:

http://swrebellion.com/

...Speaking of which, traffic must be really slow over there, as there's no GOG announcement on their site. Perhaps if someone here is a member, they should let them know?

This was also a great "ethical" purchase, as I'd been itching to play this game for a long, long time. So, of course, one does what one must on abandonware sites when there's no other reasonable means to get a game. Now, however, there's absolutely no reason to do that, and the price is right, man. It's hard to beat $6.00 for a game that will last for many, many hours, especially if the galaxy size is huge. Furthermore, less work and less disk space are needed to make it work. Go buy it!

As per more detailed testing, I'll have to see if battles work any better than with the previous install of the game I had. In any sense, I can't imagine performance being worse.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
You coulda just asked Thaeris... I have the original game I would have sold it. lol.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Hehe... thanks for the offer.

I've actually held off on starting XWA, for a few reasons. It seems like some individuals involved with XWAUP may have actually worked with GOG to get the current version in place, and the software is thus patched using some of their methodology. However, this may take a little while to be fully understood by the rest of those working on maintaining the game at XWAUP. Thus, I am hesitant to try patching until it is better understood. And second, manual patching to get proper screen resolutions, etc., looks miserable indeed. It'll get done sooner or later, but between the immediate labor and needing to learn a new sim, I think t can wait a bit.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Anyone here play Rogue Squadron?  I played it with a friend on the N64 a long time ago.  Playing it again is cool.  Added all these games to my wishlist.  :nod:  Huge backlog of games, huge backlog in the wishlist, no time.  :nono:  At least with the older older games (from the 3DFX era that haven't been upgraded like FS has) I can not bother worrying about the Intel graphics being used instead of nVidia despite my setting otherwise (dumb GFX card).

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Rogue Squadron was a blast, so long as you understand going in that it's arcadey and not a full-fledged space sim.  I still have a retail CD copy; playing with a legit joystick is soooo much better than a derpy N64 controller.  Even given its age, the sequel for the GameCube remains one of the prettiest games I've ever played.  I think the third one added some ground-based bull**** and wasn't nearly as good.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I've never been able to get Rogue Squadron to install correctly on Win 7 64 bit.  Apparently 7 does not like the 16 bit installer, and although I have tried a workaround I found here, it just can't get it to work.  After the splash screens the screen goes black at what should be the menu screen, but I can hear the background music.  But I still have it installed on my XP partition, so at least I can play it there.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Darksaber has released a new version of his Craft Pack which is now compatible with the GOG version of XWA :)
http://www.xwaupgrade.com/

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
There are a good collection of missions and campaigns available for XWA, that community did...

- X-Wing classic Total Conversion
- Tie-Fighter classic Total Conversion.

- Ashgard Family Campaign
- Dark Cat Pirates
- Talon Squadron Unexpected Partnerships

And many more....  :p

As well there are some tools and fixes to repair fonts problems and change resolutions, even for 16:9 and triple screen.  :cool: