Author Topic: FreeSpace Port 3.5 + FSPort Media VPs Release!  (Read 109062 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
FreeSpace Port 3.5 + FSPort Media VPs Release!
Freespace Port 3.5 + FSPort Media VPs Release

In honor of Groundhog Day, we are proud to bring you yet another release of the FreeSpace Port: version 3.5.  This latest and greatest version offers full support for the MediaVPs 2014 while retaining the reverse compatibility that this mod is famous (and infamous) for.

We are also proud to offer the latest DIRECTOR'S CUT update of Silent Threat: Reborn!  Check out the thread for more details!

Here's all the spiffy new stuff available in this version of the Port:
  • Campaigns now use mjn.mixael's enhanced main halls when the optional main hall pack is present
  • The medal screen now features mjn.mixael's rerendered FS1 medals, instead of copies of the FS2 medal images
  • Added updated versions of Dan Wentz's remixed FS1 music tracks
  • Compatibility updates for MediaVPs 2014
  • Translation support for German, French, Polish, and Spanish, using the original FS1 language packs
  • Re-added the "big blast" Faustus and the GTS Centaur#Charon, with associated mission updates including support in sm2-07a
  • The background in sm3-10a is now based on actual astronomical data from 2335-03-30 22:01:16 UTC
  • Miscellaneous bugfixes

As always FSPort remains retail compatible but optimized for Freespace Open.  If you use FSO, we recommend a recent build such as 3.7.2 RC5.  (Please note that some features, such as the enhanced main halls, will not appear when playing earlier versions.)

It is strongly recommended to use the FreeSpace Open Installer to download and install the Port, due to the number of possible mod configurations.  But if you would like to manually download the files, you can find them listed below.

(Note, the translation packs are not provided through the installer, because of the possibility of conflicts if the user selects "Complete Installation".  Those will need to be downloaded manually for the time being.)

Core Downloads

Place all the contents of these zipped files into 'freespace2/fsport'

Root - FeralHosting
VP SHA-1: 7597bf067b9918fcc76e99dea6e513a80c4a4f44
Missions - FeralHosting
VP SHA-1: 2fa36179379de3667afc48b16e51d0088e9908b7
Sparky - FeralHosting
VP SHA-1: e01f88500250d1cea93499ba0aeeab041fa48d27

NOTE: The VPs containing original FS1 media have been removed.  Work is in progress to provide a way to copy those resources from an existing FS1 installation.  For community-created enhancements, such as MjnMixael's remastered FS1 cutscenes or Dan Wentz's remastered music, see below.

Optional Downloads

The FSPort Media VP makes everything pretty, and the music VP contains the remixed version of the FS1 soundtrack that Dan Wentz provided specially for HLP. Both are optional, but highly recommended!
Place all the contents of these zipped files into 'freespace2/fsport-mediavps' (or 'freespace2/fsport-mediavps_2014' if using the 2014 add-on)

FSPort-MediaVPs 3.6.12 - FeralHosting
VP SHA-1: 29cc5d93cf18061711d45eaadd45696ad37853e6
Launcher info for FSPort MVPs 3.6.12 - Mod.ini Launcher Image Small Launcher Image

FSPort-MediaVPs 2014 Patch Add-On - FeralHosting
VP SHA-1: a2bb5c6146e0919d4f8775fb385422ed5b8546af
Launcher info for FSPort MVPs 2014 - Mod.ini Launcher Image Small Launcher Image

FSPort-MediaVPs Music (Dan Wentz's Remixed FS1 Music) - FeralHosting
VP SHA-1: 6f242f117c5ebb6aa3dfa93268569ca6b1d14138
MjnMixael's Cutscenes - HLP (separate thread)

These are the hi-res Command Brief Anims rendered by Mjn.Mixael. They are big, but they are awesome. Highly recommended!

Tango_hi1_fs1 - FeralHosting
VP SHA-1: af09cc710841d717dcdfd7ecc517d8247022682c
Tango_hi2_fs1 - FeralHosting
VP SHA-1: c1cc35a3ae1c64266c35605fc036322148167c8d
Tango_hi3_fs1 - FeralHosting
VP SHA-1: 348394c9a0461dcf4df10fea993a2cf9429a2239
Tango_hi4_fs1 - FeralHosting
VP SHA-1: d68db62670eb3cb5082bb6ee078942768436483b
Tango_hi5_fs1 - FeralHosting
VP SHA-1: 8eb6d7ecc9eb94667b87a5121b42b55557fd723b

These are the main hall packs rendered by Mjn.Mixael.  Like the CBAnims, they are big but awesome. Recommended, but be advised they are a work in progress!
Place all the contents of these zipped files into 'freespace2/fsport-mediavps' (or 'freespace2/fsport-mediavps_2014' if using the 2014 add-on)

Bastion A - FeralHosting
VP SHA-1: cda902ae87b2d09a4372aebac49d62e6291bc452
Bastion B - FeralHosting
VP SHA-1: d77a073ffc7e6ad3de91b1db65cadfc7f476c656
Galatea A - FeralHosting
VP SHA-1: 6bf82a9dbe9cfea85b7190fa9b2decc27267d473
Galatea B - FeralHosting
VP SHA-1: 2f709456354fd7e406ce85f161da6af6808eb299
Krios - FeralHosting
VP SHA-1: c40768bf5ad8502246521e6b42cc78c02675c747
Soyakaze - FeralHosting
VP SHA-1: 3edf61e714026dcf6873d62c3028668ed8d29846

These are the translation packs, for our multilingual fans.

French:
Text - FeralHosting
Cutscenes - FeralHosting
Voice - FeralHosting

German:
Text - FeralHosting
Cutscenes - FeralHosting
Voice - FeralHosting

Polish:
Text - FeralHosting
Cutscenes - FeralHosting
Voice - FeralHosting

Spanish:
Text - FeralHosting

Credits

Big, big thanks to everyone who contributed to this, including Galemp, Goober5000, Yarn, Mjn.Mixael, Cobra, Tarvis, Thaeris, VasudanAdmiral, IceyJones, Admiral Nelson, Hellstryker, Flaming Sword, Aardwolf, Dark, DTP, the SCP Team, the whole FreeSpace Community and especially Volition, for starting it all.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 09:43:11 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: FreeSpace Port 3.5 + FSPort Media VPs Release!
I literally must have just caught this as you posted it. Looking forward to seeing how it all looks now you've updated it! :D

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
Sweet.  Finally the update I've been waiting for.  (Still no new Apollo though :( )
And ST:R too.  Plus cutscenes for that?  Yes, please.

Edit: well crap I crashed when the repulse arrived.  not sure if it's you guys or if it's the radar icons I've been working on.  Does the regular executable generate a log or just the debug build?
(FSO exited with a status of 255)

Transient error
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 07:15:54 am by BirdofPrey »
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline max6_29

Hello,

I tested the translation pack (french) for fsport 3.5 and only voice and cutscenes work. No text is translated in the game (briefing, debriefing or playing). If someone have an solution, i will apreciate it ;)

Thank you

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I believe it is necessary to set your language in the FreeSpace 2 registry.  I'm not sure how to do this, but it has been discussed on HLP so you might be able to search for it.

Yarn handled the translation packs, so he should be able to provide a better answer when he sees your question.

Offline max6_29

I put my language in the registry and it's OK. thank you!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Great to hear it!

And I'm glad to hear that someone tried out a language pack so quickly.  It is a positive sign for our popularity among foreign language gamers. :)

Offline CT27

Just to be sure, if I want the remastered music:

I SHOULDN"T download the "warble" pack, but rather just download the thing under 'optional downloads' and place that in 'fsport-mediavps'?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Small thing, but you should have included 182x80 mod.ini images for wxLauncher users. wxL is pretty bad at image scaling.. so including a 182x80 image makes it look just that much more presentable.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Congratulations on the release!  :pimp:

Yet again, you people are still my heroes! Keeping this old game alive and all...

One thing caught my eye though:

Code: [Select]
Isn't this a bit counter-productive? Why change the folder name if the only thing that has changed in fsport-mediavps is one single table file? I have already used the unofficial 2014 patch table file with the older 3.4 FSport + fsport -mediavps combination succesfully with numerous FSPort campaign mods. I changed the mod.ini file in all of my FSport campaign mods to the following:

[multimod]
secondarylist = fsport-mediavps,fsport,MediaVPs_2014;

So far I have encountered 100% backwards compatibility with mods like:

- Aftermath 2.1
- Awakenings
- Bem Cavalgar
- Cardinal Spear
- Destiny of Peace
- Frontlines 2334
- Shrouding the light
- Silen Threat: Reborn 1.3
- Tango
- The Crucible

So why the proposed folder name change for fsport-mediaVPs? Wouldn't that break all my mod.ini loading orders? Or is this folder name change foreshadowing a future fsport-mediaVPs release that will differ from the old version as much as MediaVPs_2014 differed from MediaVPs_3612 and thus breaking the backwards compatibility by some degree?

Don't get me wrong. This proposed folder name change for fsport-mediaVPs is not going to wreck my installation since I can re-tweak mod.ini files again, but I'm just asking this because I'm curious  :)

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
I totally wondered if this was a prank in my head because of groundhog day!  Yes!  I love FS1 a little too much.

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
I can't get the new mainhalls to work.  I used the installer to update the fsport and fsportmvps and am using the latest nightly.  I was playing through the FS1 main campaign and installed the upgrade.  Do I need to restart the campaign to get the new mainhalls to work?
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
The mainhalls are separate files,  did they get downloaded
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline Macfie

Nevermind I figured out the problem.  The mainhalls won't work with the nightly builds only with 3.7.2RC5 because the nightly builds are 3.7.1 builds.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Nevermind I figured out the problem.  The mainhalls won't work with the nightly builds only with 3.7.2RC5 because the nightly builds are 3.7.1 builds.
Yes; despite the fact that the most recent Nightly builds are actually newer than 3.7.2 RC5, they technically have a lower version number; rather than going through the trouble to specify the exact revision number with which the feature became available in the version comment, it's a lot more convenient to just specify that they should be using at least 3.7.2 (especially when 3.7.2 Final should be just around the corner, and Nightly builds will start being 3.7.3).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Macfie

So if you revised the line to ;;FSO 3.7.1;; +Substitute Main Hall: Krios, it would work with the latest nightly.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Just to be sure, if I want the remastered music:

I SHOULDN"T download the "warble" pack, but rather just download the thing under 'optional downloads' and place that in 'fsport-mediavps'?

You can download both packs.  The Installer puts the remixed music pack in the fsport-mediavps folder, and anything there will override its counterpart in the fsport folder.

Small thing, but you should have included 182x80 mod.ini images for wxLauncher users. wxL is pretty bad at image scaling.. so including a 182x80 image makes it look just that much more presentable.

Good catch; I will do so.

Code: [Select]
Isn't this a bit counter-productive? Why change the folder name if the only thing that has changed in fsport-mediavps is one single table file?

Because it's not possible to use the same folder to work with both MVPs 3.6.12 and MVPs 2014.  If you use 2014 you must include the file; if you use 3.6.12 you must not include the file.  So we use two folders to deal with the two mod configurations.

As for why we didn't just include the file and be done with it, well, we're all about compatibility here at the FSPort.  Most FSPort campaigns still have mod.ini files which point to 3.6.12; those would all be broken if we forced the upgrade, and then we'd have to deal with the inevitable technical support requests. :p  Additionally, there might be situations where you would want to run one FSPort-based mod using 3.6.12 and one using 2014 (one example I can think of is troubleshooting a mod error).  Having two folders retains that possibility.

I changed the mod.ini file in all of my FSport campaign mods to the following:

[multimod]
secondarylist = fsport-mediavps,fsport,MediaVPs_2014;

It looks like you've removed the primarylist line and merged it into secondarylist.  That can lead to unintended results.  For example you might find that low-poly models show up in unexpected places.

So if you revised the line to ;;FSO 3.7.1;; +Substitute Main Hall: Krios, it would work with the latest nightly.

It would, but if you were to try a nightly from a few months ago (which is still 3.7.1) you'd end up with a bunch of mod errors.  So hack the data files at your own risk. :)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Posted to Facebook and Reddit
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Posted to Facebook and Reddit

Your Facebook description of it is gold. :yes:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline CT27

Just to be sure:

If I want to use both the 2012 and 2014 VPs, then I'll need to create both 'freespace2/fsport-mediavps'  'freespace2/fsport-mediavps_2014'  of those folders correct?

I also presume I would then put the 3.6.12 VPs link (under "Optional Downloads" in the OP) into the 'freespace2/fsport-mediavps' folder and the 2014 VPs add on in the 'freespace2/fsport-mediavps_2014' folder?

Finally, which of those two folders would I put the FS1 remastered music download (the third link under "Optional Downloads") into?