Author Topic: Where did the MW4 Mercs model porting threads go?  (Read 2815 times)

Where did the MW4 Mercs model porting threads go?
Hey,

Not a while ago there were some threads where the build 0.304 was used where people, afaik the user thor_c was working on a porting of the models from mw4 mercenaries to mechcommander 2 omnitech.

Are that still an ongoing project or has it been canned. I cannot find the youtube videos anymore aswell.

MW4 Mercenaries is a royalty free game, has been released as open source and such so there should be no problems whatsoever putting those models into MCO, since it is not a commercial project all in all and they did look very promising (higher polycount).

Does anyone have any clue?

Best regards

Ulric Bekker

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Where did the MW4 Mercs model porting threads go?
MW4 Mercenaries[...]has been released as open source
It most certainly has not.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Hello Bekker from Dekker.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

MW4 Mercenaries[...]has been released as open source
It most certainly has not.

FASA Studio's MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries is a 2002 computer game set in the BattleTech universe. Smith and Tinker announced on 09 July 2009 that the MechWarrior 4 series of games and expansions will be made available for free via MekTek, this finally happened on 30 April 2010. However, with development stalling, Smith and Tinker going out of business, and the introduction of MechWarrior Online, MekTek ultimately dropped their license for MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries. Download of the Free Release is now considered illegal.[1]

Ouch, true

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Even when it was available for download, the source code was never open.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline ThorC

Thank you Ulric for taking a positive interest in the ported mw4 models. The project was not "canned', only put on hold because I didn't want certain individuals who harbored a great deal of animosity toward the forming of the MCO team to benefit from it. Another issue was that porting the models attracted the attention of people who normally wouldn't have even cared for this mod(Which is what I set out to do) as well as many others. As far as the legal issue's, I have edited and re textured the mw4 models and have even made quite a few of my own... but I didn't want to stop there. There are many elements of the game that are being pushed to the limit and experimented with. Once again thank you for your interest and patience, meanwhile please enjoy the current version.

Seems quite weird that just the porting of models would attract attention, but then again must be someone with interests like maybe someone from microsoft, smith and tinker, official battletech e.g fasa, piranha games, unseen copyright holders (allthough the mech on display are not losttech at all) or any other hyenas that make crap games and hinder other from making quality and playable material. :)

If not for anything else one would and only should encourage such endeavours since they have commercial potential - the lack of good or just about any battletech games having souch a rich literary background and developed universe, it is a real shame it is getting wasted on MMG like Mechwarrior Online (no story, no background, the one that is painted is vague, shallow and pedantic (hell they even presented strana mechty as a clan wolf homeworld, which it is not, it is Tamar, it is only the planet on which the SA-Khan resides and the Khan council meets) etc.

Allthough even the exodus campaign is not 100% lore friendly but hey, its a free of charge game. Anyways Ive been wanting to ask you what tool did you use to open .mw4 files and export models. Pepkura viewer for the models?

Oh and keep up the good work Thor_C.

Best regards,

Ulric

« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 04:04:57 am by ulric_bekker »

Offline ThorC

There are many programs and emulators that can rip models and game files, as long as you have a hard copy of the game you want to rip them from.