Author Topic: 5 reasons to play the new Wings of Dawn! GET HYPE  (Read 3867 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
5 reasons to play the new Wings of Dawn! GET HYPE
Wings of Dawn is HLP's first all-original IP! And it's about to hit YOUR FACE with a standalone, free, no-fiddling-required release!

What's Wings of Dawn? Wings of Dawn is the hybrid space baby of anime and Star Control, set in a universe where fractious humanity is just beginning to confront titanic alien powers, built on systems-driven gameplay designed to give players a lot of toys and a lot of power.

I don't really like anime but it doesn't really matter because Wings of Dawn is a technical tour de force and a real kick to the ass of FreeSpace modding in general. Axem and Spoon have been holed up in their cabal making arcane impossible things out of the guts of FreeSpace. In Wings of Dawn you'll get:

• Striking presentation! No more dots of light filling up the load screen. Wings unfold from a heraldic shield. The custom HUD is full of unique, mission-specific gauges. The mainhall is fully modeled and bits light up when you mouse over them. There are entire menu elements that didn't exist in core FS2, like a full-screen reading view for fiction, a diary, and more. Even the difficulty levels have been renamed.
  • Rich gameplay systems. Anyone who played the original Wings of Dawn release already got to see the carefully crafted damage model, with specific weapons excelling against specific targets, and the diverse range of enemy behaviors, with each species full of its own tricks and weaknesses to learn. But it's been five years and there's a lot more happening now - although if anything it's cleaner to pick up. LUA wizardry makes it easy to dogfight in a crevasse between three asteroids while dodging VLS missiles from a nearby ship and timing command-detonated mines. There are a ton of quality-of-life touches, including a beginner-friendly control scheme and an option to revert to FS classic with a single button!
  • Bafflingly seamless narrative. This is what really struck me! YOU CAN WANDER AROUND YOUR BASE SHIP AND TALK TO PEOPLE. It's not a 3D space, more like a choose-your-own-adventure, but you can decide to move between places, ask characters prying questions about their personal lives, read the news, eat breakfast, and so on. The Sorcerers Supreme may have gone TOO FAR. I don't want to overhype this like some Star Citizen bull**** but it really is very very cool. So instead of leaping from mission to debrief to CB to brief, you get downtime to see what's up and get to know people.
  • Really creative missions! You will do stuff you haven't done before, except in the tutorial, which is dull right now. Fix that tutorial, Spoon! he fixed it it's cool now. I don't want to talk about this too much because it'll spoil the fun but I will say that it's all cleanly taught, low-stress, and fun to repeat. And it will repeatedly expand your idea of what's possible in FSO. Particularly cool is the fact that 'walk around the ship' segments can cut right to space, so you might hear a character say 'we're jumping!' and get an external shot of the ship warping.
  • A killer look! I am a sucker for campaigns, like Diaspora, that manage to make their models look tactile. Wings of Dawn has a lot of sharp, colorful, interesting ships. Generous FXAA helps, sure, but the models also play to the colorful anime aesthetic, occasionally looking almost handdrawn. Your cockpit will actually get cracked and start fuzzing with errors as you take damage!

Of all the projects still active on HLP I think that WoD (and JaD, but hey, it's not like they don't sleep together) is the one most concerned with the player's fun. In a campaign like BP you can ask a question like 'can I go do that?' and the answer is probably 'no you fool and MEDITATE ON THE HORROR OF WAR!!' Wings of Dawn is happy to say 'yeah, sure!'

The upcoming WoD episode is short, sharp, consumable, and fun. It installs fast, runs fast, and plays fast. I really encourage you to check it out.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 06:25:09 pm by General Battuta »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: 5 reasons to play the new Wings of Dawn! GET HYPE
I am a horrible human being and have still not played WoD.  Don't be like Mongoose.  Play WoD.

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
I know I am fickle, but the first thing I always wonder about a campaign:  Is it voice acted (yes, I'm spoiled, now I don't care)?

I will still probably check this out.
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline CKid

RELEASE DATE! WHERE'S THE RELEASE DATE! I'VE BEEN HYPE'D SINCE THE BEGINNING OF MARCH! GOING TO DIE OF HYPE-ATTACK!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:22:44 pm by CKid »
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I am a horrible human being and have still not played WoD.  Don't be like Mongoose.  Play WoD.

It's not too late, because the new WoD is not the old WoD! You can still be HYPE.
Learn from mistake. HYPE for new WoD! Play new WoD!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter

Ditto.  But with this standalone release I may no longer have an excuse.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
3. Bafflingly seamless narrative. This is what really struck me! YOU CAN WANDER AROUND YOUR BASE SHIP AND TALK TO PEOPLE. It's not a 3D space, more like a choose-your-own-adventure, but you can decide to move between places, ask characters prying questions about their personal lives, read the news, eat breakfast, and so on. The Sorcerers Supreme may have gone TOO FAR. I don't want to overhype this like some Star Citizen bull**** but it really is very very cool. So instead of leaping from mission to debrief to CB to brief, you get downtime to see what's up and get to know people.

...Is my dream of a romance visual novel in the Freespace engine coming to life?!
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline Luis Dias

HYPE HYPE HYPE HY

Offline Veers

I think this explains everything...
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
wanna play it. now.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Gah, there's no way it can ever live up to this kind of hype!
(but I'm happy you guys are looking forward to it  :D)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 10:00:19 am by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

GET PSYCHED

Offline Luis Dias

Gah, there's no way it can ever live up to this kind of hype!
(but I'm happy you guys are looking forward to it  :D)

OK GUYS ITS OFFICIAL, HYPE IS OVER GET BACK TO YOUR LI

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
OK, I'm not a fan of anime, but you talked me into it - downloading from moddb now.

And sorta psyched for the new standalone!
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
I demand more space elf Moeblobs!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 12:55:52 am by AtomicClucker »
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Elf moeblobs are unlikely to be thing.  A Winged Cyrvan named Jibril, on the other hand, she is very likely to be a thing.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

A Winged Cyrvan named Jibril, on the other hand, she is very likely to be a thing.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
H-here I go...
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them