Author Topic: "Proving Ground" help  (Read 2494 times)

Offline CT27

"Proving Ground" help
The  mission "Proving Ground" (in the main FS2 campaign) is where you're at first supposed to defend a Fenris from a mock Pegasus attack.

However, a secondary objective is to destroy the Moloch-class corvette Tiamat.  I can never seem to get that particular objective accomplished.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  You don't even have TAG missiles to light her up for the Aquitane.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: "Proving Ground" help
I have never managed to complete that objective myself.  Keeping yourself close to the corvette allows the gunners on the Aquitaine to shoot at it, but its more than that.  Some have said that loading out with EMP missiles give you an advantage against the Tiamat, and even against the Pegasi during the first part of the mission, but I've never tried that tactic.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
If you disable the Tiamat you can take it out later with EMP missiles. Or you used to, I have no idea if it still works.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I remember people saying that it's essentially impossible for the Aquitaine to take it out on less than Medium difficulty, since it just doesn't output enough damage.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yeah, you need to actually increase the difficulty to make the Aquitaine fire fast enough to kill it. :) On Insane it easily cleans its clock. A bit counter-intuitive, but it works like that. Otherwise, you've got those EMP missiles...

Offline CKid

Ok, so I remember killing the Tiamat all the time because that was the only way to get the Order of Galatea. Problem is that it was years ago. Like before SCP and mediavps even existed. So I just ran retail and the Aquitaine smoked the Tiamat 3 times in a row... Something is bugged. (played on medium)
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
I managed to get Tiamat blown up by just staying near it whenever there aren't any fighters or bombers,or the Taurvis are attacking,AI seems to be quite good against them bastards.It was on medium difficulty.Now i am trying to save the Oberon from the bombers,but it ain't very easy.
Crush the NTF-Conflict Zone
One last war, one last hope, one last survival-Final Destination On Delay
Set free from the GTVA-Liberation Wars On Delay

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
The thing that happens here with the Tiamat is that the Aquitaine needs to hit it with it's BGreen to kill it quickly - The Tiamat is positioned to come out of subspace and move out of it's firing arc shortly afterward. Then the Aquitaine can only hit it with it's TerSlash - and as you know that doesn't do enough damage to kill the Tiamat.

You have to be virtually right on top of it when it jumps in for the Aquitaine to kill it on lower difficulties. But yeah, turning up the difficulty lets them gut it.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Yeah, on Insane in build 11198 the Aquitaine kills the Tiamat handily, but Delta is an unstoppable Fenris killing force. Even direct EMP missile strikes don't  dissuade them.

Offline CT27

Stupid question here:  how exactly does increasing the difficulty help kill the Tiamat?

For the record, I was able to get the Tiamat after the Aquitaine left, but I had to use a ton of EMP missiles.

Stupid question here:  how exactly does increasing the difficulty help kill the Tiamat?
Beam weapons, both friendly & hostile, fire more quickly as you increase difficulty.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Does stopping Delta or saving the Fenris net you any bonus objectives? The medal is from destroying the Tiamat, correct?
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Saving the Fenris is the secondary objective, but IIRC you get the medal only for destroying the Tiamat.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Does stopping Delta or saving the Fenris net you any bonus objectives? The medal is from destroying the Tiamat, correct?

It doesn't get you anything, although I think the Fenris actually gets targeted by the Tiamat if it lives long enough.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

These random balance changes that seem to emerge in the SCP really do get alarming at times.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline CT27

On previous playthroughs I would get the medal just for saving the Aquitaine and not destroying the Tiamat.

Wait, I thought you only got the medal if you kept the Aquitaine's HP high enough ???

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Wait, I thought you only got the medal if you kept the Aquitaine's HP high enough ???
That's exactly it:
Code: [Select]
$Formula: ( when
   ( and
      ( has-departed-delay 0 "Aquitaine" )
      ( not
         ( is-event-true-delay
            "Aqutaine 50 Percent"
         )
      )
   )
   ( grant-medal "Order of Galatea" )
)
+Name: Order of Galatea
+Repeat Count: 1
+Interval: 1
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.