Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous. Is my Laptop enough DANGEROUS??  (Read 3974 times)

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Elite: Dangerous. Is my Laptop enough DANGEROUS??

Will my computer be able to run Elite: Dangerous? Im aiming at purchasing it, but im bit worried it might not work.

EDIT: On the other note, Combat DEMO of the game runs smooth.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 01:33:31 pm by TheHound »
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Re: Elite: Dangerous. Is my Laptop enough DANGEROUS??
there's a combat demo???
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
    • Steam
There is, but only to people who pre-ordered. It happened I have a friend that did, so I just runned it using my laptop.

Well, in my opinion, you could use less-legal means to check it out, before deciding to purchase the game...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Does the combat demo allow you to fight in an asteroid field? Cos that's the real benchmark for this thing.

(Off the top of my head though, I'd say that your CPU maaaay be a little too weak to run busier scenes)
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
    • Steam
Does the combat demo allow you to fight in an asteroid field? Cos that's the real benchmark for this thing.

First scenario is set up in the Ice Asteroid Belt, having you to destroy static gas tanks.

EDIT

About the CPU, i've been told that even if its dual core, it handles 4 threads, so it behaves like 4 core.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Well, if the combat demo works smoothly enough, I'd imagine the game itself would
Sidenote: Friendship Drives, Charging!
Insufficient Friendship Charge. You require additional Friendship! Charge more Friendship.
For Friendship! Friendship has arrived.
You have been promoted to the rank of Friendship pilot!
It seems your efforts to Friendship us have failed pilots. Helm, engage Friendship Drives
"No"

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
FSD / warp to a new system, how long does it take for the sun to stop jittering?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
    • Steam
Have no idea. Combat Demo didn't had jumping between systems.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
    • Steam
To anyone concerned. The actual full game runs nice at mid settings. (haven't tried to raise them up for now), jumping, no jittering as you described it. (So I believe its instant)

Glad to finally purchase the game.

That's rather impressive actually.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
    • Steam
The performance? Im puzzled myself, why my computer, while beeing bellow minimal, runs the game so smoothly in optimal settings..

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Was about to post that it'll run, but might get a bit choppy at times. Just make sure it actually runs on the dedicated GPU than the Intal IGP.

I got it to run acceptably on my parents' home PC, which is running a dual-core Clarkdale i3 something - probably i3-540 but I can't remember exactly - with 4 GB system RAM and a GeForce 8800GT (512 MB VRAM), of all things. Amazingly enough, the game ran at full 1080p resolution and gave frame rates between smooth and borderline playable - it remained stable and I could play it, but I wouldn't have wanted to attempt docking on stations without flight assist with how choppy the frame rate could occasionally get.

On my own PC, I'm running an i5-2500K clocked at 4.5 GHz, and have ran the game with three GPUs so far (Gigabyte GTX 660Ti, Asus GTX680, and Asus GTX970). All of them have delivered quite nice performance.

Interestingly, for me supercruise in Open Play is where I see the most performance issues, rather than the asteroid thickets or combat with multiple ships. :nervous:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

So is E:D worth buying? I've loved the combat demo but I regularly hear that the main game is kind of devoid of content, and £40 is a lot to pay for it.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So is E:D worth buying? I've loved the combat demo but I regularly hear that the main game is kind of devoid of content, and £40 is a lot to pay for it.

It's getting there, though. E:D, at its core, is definitely a "find your own fun" game that doesn't do much in the way of directed gameplay experience. However, the changes that came in 1.2 (the "Wings" update) make the game a bit more dynamic, now the ongoign storyline of the game has actual visible effects on gameplay through community goals. When the 1.3 update (aka "Powerplay") hits and factions get meaningful mechanics behind them (as well as making PvP finally something that you might actually want to do), it's going to be even better.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns