Author Topic: Rabbit ate my joystick cord...time for a new setup!  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Venicius

• Be gone, ruffian!
    • Minecraft
Rabbit ate my joystick cord...time for a new setup!
I'm thinking of getting my first stick/throttle setup but I know there are limitations on FSO for multiple controllers.  This is what I'm considering getting:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879337003

Or maybe an older Saitek X45?

Does anybody here use these for freespace?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 05:44:50 pm by Venicius »

Re: Rabbit ate my joystick cord...time for a new setup!
i'd look into how rabbit-resistant the cord on any replacement is
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
That thrustmaster isn't meant to be very good.

My first hotas is the x52 which I have now. I didn't mind voiding the warranty so I did the magnet mod and tension spring mod and it is great! :)
I do not feel... I think!

Offline AV8R

I have that exact HOTAS setup and it has served me well for the past year and a half. It works using digital positioning and signaling so it does not require calibration (everything self-zeroes at boot up). The buttons have a nice click response, are well-positioned and both the throttle and the joystick operate smoothly and without binding. The joystick itself can be physically adjusted for tightness with a knob under the joystick base. The two pieces (throttle and joystick) can be separated but the cable connecting them cannot be disconnected.

This only niggle I have with the setup is the positioning of the button just above the trigger (right side front of joystick). It's easy to accidently press it during heavy joystick movement. I have mine programmed to choose my primary weapon so during combat I would constantly have to reselect my primary weapon because I kept accidently pushing that button. I "cured" the problem my inserting a small piece of cardboard under the button so it requires a little more push effort to activate - problem solved.

For the price, it's a great deal and works very well. I say go for it.   :yes:

Offline Venicius

• Be gone, ruffian!
    • Minecraft
What program do you use to get fso to see it as one device? ppjoy/vjoy?

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Venicius

• Be gone, ruffian!
    • Minecraft
Oh, cool. I ended up getting an almost new X52 off of ebay today so that will be very helpful! Thanks!

Offline AV8R

I know you already made your choice but the Thrustmaster uses a single USB cable to connect to a PC, so FreeSpace sees all axis as a single unit - no other software is necessary. Just set your axis, buttons and go. Makes for easy setup.

Have fun with the X52, also a good choice.

Offline Venicius

• Be gone, ruffian!
    • Minecraft
I actually got it set up rather decently without any extra software...no mode selection though. I'll figure out what to do about that later though.  I'm loving the throttle!

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
I highly recommend doing the magnet mod and the tension spring mod. They are VERY easy and VERY cheap to perform and you will love the X52 more for it.

However, like I said in my earlier post, the magnet mod will void the warranty!

Magnet mod is this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JGZSx7UaVU

Tension spring mod... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TewzmOoysDw

Edit:- With the tension spring mod, I only needed 1 piece to do it! :)

I do not feel... I think!