Author Topic: Valve **** it up again.  (Read 8720 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: Valve **** it up again.
Bloody ****, valve.
You are drowning in cash, hire some nerds for minimal wages that will at least filter drivel such as this.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
They actually retracted that one after Jim Sterling (Thank god for him) made a video about it.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Couldn't care less.

Vote with your wallet.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Luis Dias

I say greenlight it and then make a copy of it with rednecks and homophobes!

ahah, no I am not defending it, merely because it's such a crappy game.

Offline rance

The weird thing is that the group that made it seem semi-legitimate. They're doing voice acting according to their Facebook page, but also claim to hack COD 4 in steam reviews.

I think Greenlight is a neat idea but it shouldn't be so automatic. People vote for what they want, then a select few get put though. That'd filter out this filth and it's not like Value couldn't afford it. This QA would probably assure them more sales in the long run. But unfortunately, since Value gets a cut of each sale, they almost have no reason to not let everything though.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I read this after arriving to the end of talk on "cutting down the feedback-loop" ... funny coincidene

But Valve really needs to get its Greenlight-House in order
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Seriously? They actually Greenlit a game called Kill The Faggot?

Wait, was this game actually released for purchase or was it still being 'voted' on when it was pulled from steam? I can't imagine any sane Valve employee person would let this slide, but I would be much less surprised if it slipped through the cracks of some automated tool. After all, people had to whine directly to Gabe to get Hatred put back on greenlight and this game isn't better.

I think Greenlight is a neat idea but it shouldn't be so automatic. People vote for what they want, then a select few get put though. That'd filter out this filth and it's not like Value couldn't afford it. This QA would probably assure them more sales in the long run.

That is how greenlight works. Developers pay $100 to put their game on greenlight, people vote for it, Valve emails the developer "hey we noticed your game is popular, let's work to put it up for sale on stream", dialog happens between Valve and the developer, and the game is put up for sale.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 05:37:29 pm by Polpolion »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Well according to the article a reviewer had downloaded the game to play it so it was available.

"These people that think if you are even remotely homophobic, you are 'hateful' and a 'bigot,' and do everything they can to destroy you in every vicious way possible," Herman wrote. "So I decided to go down a path that most developers are afraid to go down: to piss these people off by making the most overly offensive game possible to these idiots to prove a point."

Exactly what point did he think he was proving? Cause it looks suspiciously like he proved that if you smell smoke, it's cause there's a fire.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 08:43:39 pm by karajorma »

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Well according to the article a reviewer had downloaded the game to play it so it was available.

Apparently not via steam, insofar as links to 3rd party downloads go. The link is shown in the video. The article repeatedly states that the game was still in greenlight but given lines like "launched for public consumption", "Greenlight still failed to stop a game from launching" and the confusion here about what greenlight actually is I'm really not sure what to believe.

Exactly what point did he think he was proving? Cause it looks suspiciously like he proved that if you smell smoke, it's cause there's a fire.

Yeah, no matter how I think about it things just come back around to this guy being stupid. I realize the irony in both of us being completely convinced that the other is an idiot, but I really can't see how whatever point he's talking about relating well to his views. Aside from "lol i trol u! social experiment!", I guess.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Showed this to my gay friend
He laughed, said he'd probably play it for ****s and giggles. Actually, his real remark was "Hell yes I'd play it"
Makes me wonder why people are so in a bundle about it. The proper response to a game like this is "It's a ****ty game you'd really only play because you had literally nothing better to do with your money"

The incorrect response, is get all in a huff and fuff about it since *that's precisely what people who make these kinds of games aim for*

I also dislike it when people always refer to words as the "F Word" or the "N Word". You're writing an article, just say "faggot" instead of "pejorative f-word"
"No"

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
That said, Steam have every right to say "We don't want a game called Kill The Faggot associated with us, get it the **** off our site." Especially given that it broke their terms and conditions.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Can't argue with that kara! If something breaks the ToS, that's pretty well checkmate in any legal sense
"No"

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network

I think his point was: this is what an actually offensive game looks like. In contrast with certain people complaining about lack of gay romance options in games and other trivial things.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I think his point was: this is what an actually offensive game looks like. In contrast with certain people complaining about lack of gay romance options in games and other trivial things.

And he failed, epically so. Hatred is a game that is offensive. Everything in it is designed to court controversy, but it still looks like there's going to be an actual game with actual graphics design and actual gameplay at the end of it. In this case, we have a crudely made ...thing... that on technical/artistic quality alone has no place on Steam.

In terms of offensiveness, this is like that 12-year-old kid running around the schoolyard asking everyone whether their parents know they're gay and feeling mighty clever about himself.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I think I see 666maslo666's point though.

But yeah, a truly homophobic game is always going to be of this kind of **** standard cause no one serious is going to touch it with a 10' bargepole.

Offline Luis Dias

If anything, it establishes in my head that what we need is more information and less calls for censorship. It's a stupid game that reminds me of an old 90s game of Beavis and Butthead where we would spit from a rooftop of a high building into the sidewalk and try to catch the people underneath.

I'm not saying it should be greenlit or any of that thing. It's a terrible game and has terrible taste, I'm all for a store the size of Steam have some standards.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Here's what the developer had to say in a Eurogamer interview:
"I decided to release it on Greenlight to see people's reactions," Herman said. "The reason behind this particular game is because of how tired I am of people being overly sensitive and how easily offended people are by every little thing, especially with LGBT issues.

"I didn't make this game to attack LGBT people personally, and no I don't hate gays and think they should be treated fairly, but I made this game just to piss off those people that are way too overly sensitive, which includes straight people," he added. "These people that think if you are even remotely homophobic, you are 'hateful' and a 'bigot', and do everything they can to destroy you in every vicious way possible."

As such, Herman sought to troll the internet be releasing this. "I decided to go down a path that most developers are afraid to go down: to piss these people off by making the most overly offensive game possible to these idiots to prove a point. The point being that a crappy made video game would offend people so much. I mean so offended that people will waste all their time posting on forums, Reddit, etc of how disgusted they are, offended, how much everyone involved in the game should die, and even getting into large debates over it."

Naturally, that's what happened and Herman couldn't have been more pleased. "Successfully trolled the entire LGBT community," he wrote on Twitter. "Thank you media for spreading this troll game around. You did exactly what we were hoping :)"

I don't know, still sounds like a pretty pointless and idiotic thing to do to me. We all know that reddit, twitter etc are really great at building outrage, so why prove it once more?

At the end of the day, provocative art pieces (and this pretty much is one) should make me think about me and my reactions (or society's reaction). But this thing makes me think more about how much of an idiot the developer is.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 06:27:50 am by The E »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Heh, so we can toss this in the bucket with the next game to come out:  "The Draw Mohammed Game!"  -- as drawing Mohammed just to prove you can and piss off Muslims is equally stupid.

how tired I am of people being overly sensitive and how easily offended people are by every little thing,

I understand this man! The amount of people that stand up for themselves these days is unbearable!