Author Topic: HLP Newsletter - May 2015  (Read 3450 times)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
HLP Newsletter - May 2015
Due to our fearless leader being otherwise engaged, the May Newsletter has been cancelled completed overtime & over-budget by MjnMixael and myself, enjoy!

(oh and yeah, could a kind admin please move this to the announcements board as I don't have the permissions to post there)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
Re: HLP Newsletter - May 2015
What do you mean it's May already?
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Indeed, May newsletter is posted in May :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

I told you guys that sequestrating Axem would have side effects. You can't just kidnap someone, have him FRED missions for you and write a full newsletter!

Anyway, excellent interview, glad we got more insight into Mister Subspace Strikes - makes me want to do a modding dive during the upcoming week-end.
Not much in the campaign area, but oh gods how much stuff happened code-wise. As a github user myself, I can now see basically everything the SCP does, which is neat :P

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
That reminds me, I need to get back to the work I was doing.
Also learn more art since my monkey brain never learned to code.
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Nice job, sorryto hear about the budget problems...

Reminde me what I've to do to get in the newsletter with Of Shivans and Men? - I'm currently very pressed for time and can't actuallly develop a strategy to promote myself (and the appearent lack of interest is affecting my drive to finish)....

ps. Greetings from the last day of re:publica 2015 in wonderful Berlin :)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Hmm... trying something for the interview formatting... pardon any temporary oddness.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Posted to Facebook and Reddir
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ok, after much hair-pulling, I think I've gotten something I like. Newsletter-posters, pay attention:

There's a new text field when you're posting a newsletter, called "Interview". Use that for interviews. Format interviews as a big unordered list. The site will style the even list items in one style and color, and the odd list items in another style and color. Because of the even/odd styling, the only requirement for using this new Interviews content field is that you never have consecutive list items belonging to the same person.

Do this:
  • Person A: blah blah
  • Person B: Foo
  • Person A: Bar
  • Person B: Baz.

DON'T do this:
  • Person A: blah blah
  • Person B: Foo
  • Person B: And BTW, yadda
  • Person A: Bar
  • Person B: Baz.

Enjoy! Bug reports to me OFC. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Nice!
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Axem

A hearty thanks to niffiwan and mjn for pulling this off. :) I was moving to a new place and I've only started to recently have time again to do fun things. (And thank you Sandwich for that, makes reading interviews a lot better!)

Reminde me what I've to do to get in the newsletter with Of Shivans and Men? - I'm currently very pressed for time and can't actuallly develop a strategy to promote myself (and the appearent lack of interest is affecting my drive to finish)....

Give some good meaty posts about the work you're doing. I did see you did post some in-campaign quotes, but I suppose that's just barely under the bar for a mention. I think things like background fluff, your experiences, screenshots or showing off gameplay with videos makes it a whole lot more likely to get a mention. We really try to mention any progress but it can be hard when its a very short post.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.