Author Topic: Cast for Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy (unfortunately, merely hypothetical)  (Read 8786 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Cast for Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy (unfortunately, merely hypothetical)
So I've been re-reading the Thrawn trilogy for the umpteenth time recently, but unlike previous readings, I've had certain ideas come to mind regarding who I think would be the best actors in each role. I'd like to share those ideas, as well as find out from you who you think would be good. So without further ado:

• Grand Admiral Thrawn: Wayne Pygram (his speech mannerisms in his role as Scorpius in Farscape seems to be exactly like what Zahn describes Thrawn's speech as - calm, cool, and modulated tones)
    Good examples start around 1:35
  • Jedi Master Joruus C'baoth: ideally, Ian McKellen, although I doubt he'll still be around if they ever get to making it. No idea who'd be a good alternative. Needs to be able to do both regal and crazy, often at the same time. :)
  • Talon Karrde: Ethan Hawke
  • Mara Jade: Difficult one - perhaps Emily Blunt, although it would really be nice to find someone with naturally red hair (good as she is in the role, I can't get over Emilia Clarke's eyebrows when she's playing Daenerys Targaryen).

Take it from there, HLP. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Re: Cast for Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy (unfortunately, merely hypothetical)
How about Milla Jojovich for Mara Jade?
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I think Scarlett Johansson for Mara Jade
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Koalas for Ysalamiri

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

Seconded. Be good to see her with a more complex script, and I think she could actually handle it.

Pelleaon...we need someone with a British accent and respectful but earnest questioning of Thrawn's actions. Anthony Howell?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Luis Dias

Joe Pesci as Zahn.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

Seconded. Be good to see her with a more complex script, and I think she could actually handle it.

Pelleaon...we need someone with a British accent and respectful but earnest questioning of Thrawn's actions. Anthony Howell?

Literally anyone who has ever played Dr. Watson well, because Thrawn is Sherlock Holmes in Space.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Literally anyone who has ever played Dr. Watson well, because Thrawn is Sherlock Holmes in Space.

That got me thinking Benedict Cumberbatch for Thrawn, I mean come on highly intellectual, analytical and decisive character playing the game both short and long term at the same time and will do what he thinks is needed to achieve his goals with morals a factor but not the end all of his thinking.
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Thrawn isn't Sherlock though; he's a man of more refinement and tact, and he's capable of a fatherly aspect at times that Sherlock simply lacks. I can't see Cumberbatch pulling that last one off.

A Feddie Story

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Thrawn isn't Sherlock though; he's a man of more refinement and tact, and he's capable of a fatherly aspect at times that Sherlock simply lacks. I can't see Cumberbatch pulling that last one off.

I wouldnt go as far as to say Thrawn is fatherly, A mentor certainly, though from one piece of acting on British TV that springs to mind he can certainly do approachable.

Apart from anything else Cumberbatch looks too young to play Thrawn.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Marc Strong could pull off the blue.  Gary Oldman would be a good Pelleaon.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 07:30:07 pm by StarSlayer »
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
How fun would Oldman as Karrde be though?

And since we'd need to recast the leads, I think Jennifer Lawrence could definitely become Leia.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 09:50:17 pm by Mr. Vega »
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
How fun would Oldman as Karrde be though?

I like the way you think. :)

And since we'd need to recast the leads, I think Jennifer Lawrence could definitely become Leia.

Oh yeah, the original cast would need to be recast. Bummer, I hate that kind of stuff. Ok, well I've posted about this before (or perhaps tweeted?), but Guy Pearce can definitely do Han Solo... just check out his performance in Lockout.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
Peter Serafinowicz as Thrawn.  And not just his voice, either.

Viggo Mortensen as Talon Kaarde.  Good and evil in one neat package.  I really miss this guy as a non-hero!
Barring him, I'd love to see Treat Williams do another antihero role, this is close!

Sean Bean as Pellaeon--with or without beard?

Nathan Fillion as Han Solo?  Anyone?
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.

With beard. Also, this is genius for so many reasons. (An actor known for dying, as the Imperial officer who essentially became Supreme Commander Imperial Forces because he was the last officer of the pre-Endor generation left.)

A Feddie Story

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
I know right??  Update:  Clancy Brown as Jorus C'Baoth.
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Peter Serafinowicz as Thrawn.  And not just his voice, either.

Too young IMO, but perhaps in 10 years....

Viggo Mortensen as Talon Kaarde.  Good and evil in one neat package.  I really miss this guy as a non-hero!
Barring him, I'd love to see Treat Williams do another antihero role, this is close!

Ahh! This I like!

Had Bean been less well-known, perhaps, but I feel like he's too famous for this role... needs to be someone less recognizable IMO. Also, Pellaeon doesn't die, so no. :p

Nathan Fillion as Han Solo?  Anyone?

Depends on the tone of the movie. If the director wants to combine the comedic relief of Binks/Threepio with the roughness of Han Solo, then perhaps the Firefly-esque Fillion could pull it off. Definitely not the Castle Fillion though - too immature.

Clancy Brown as Jorus C'Baoth.

Possibly, but he might potentially be too typecast for the role - C'baoth isn't supposed to be a rankled and rogue US military general, and that's all I personally see when I see Brown's face... :p

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
what's the obsession with too young? I mean yes Thrawn is an older guy but 1) he is an alien and following on from that 2) it will take a good makeup job so that the actor dosnt look like a blued up human anyway and aging effects should be well within the makeup department's abilities

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
Iain Glen as Pelleaon. (Perhaps even Daniel Craig, but I think he is too typecast as Bond now)

Peter Dinklage for R2D2

For me, I think Michael Fassbender must play Thrawn.

For a re-cast... how about Hugh Jackman as Han?

I think someone slightly older would be needed to play Mara Jade, so how about Nicole Kidman?
I do not feel... I think!