Author Topic: SPJ and Gamergate.  (Read 1656 times)

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Before the Mods crucify me, just going to bring up an interesting (and potentially important) event.

Less about harassment, ****lords, and GG shenanigans, more from the Ethics in Games Journalism (har har).

So the SPJ: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_of_Professional_Journalists

It's holding a bit of an interesting talk on the wake, the effects, and the overall results that Gamergate created for the Journalism world. I consider this of important note because a number of professional outsiders took note of the spat, and will have dedicated live-stream discussing it on August. Overall, GamerGate was a result of serious misreading on the part of Games Journalists and the infamous "Gamers are Dead" articles several months back. Despite attempts on the parts of the SPJ and other GamerGate support, most Anti-GamerGate critics simply turned down or refused to talk. Not to hide my own biases, but given Anti-GamerGate's crazy train from Randi Harper and Alexander Leigh attacking Anne Rice, or the fact that our favorite Anita isn't stupid enough to engage in a more meritorious debate that requires relying off of old and biased techniques, we're having an outside party give this "mess" a proper look.

AGG will most likely accuse this of being a pro-GamerGate event, but given their lack of participation or desire to comment... not going to lie it will be GamerGate's chance to talk ethics.

To say I'm "pro" GamerGate is simply not enough, it's good enough to say that I'm pro-GamerGate because Anti-GamerGate has literally hung itself and made a bridge of corpses - and the not too surprising lack of their voice from this event, is telling of the sad state of their predicament. AGG is so thoroughly out of touch with reality, I can safely say that at the end of the day, they've done more damage to swing things in favor of GamerGate than any harassment campaign could succeed.

In this context though, I think it's high time the journalists who had a hand in creating the mess get a proper retrospective. They are not above scrutiny, and many of the GamerGaters have been more than will to place themselves under scrutiny.

Oliver Campbell's Youtube Streams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxJDw3zLDNg and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnZryFnwjDk
Airplay Link: http://spjairplay.com/

Note: Corrected date of event. Note+: Somehow my links were eaten, bad Firefox.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 02:41:46 pm by AtomicClucker »
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
We've been down this road before, with nothing to show for it except for forum drama.

Give me a single reason to not lock this thread.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Actually, I'd prefer if you could come up with four or five, because just one isn't going to cut it on a topic like this.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
We begin with a subject that requires careful handling, so let us make no effort to hide our personal biases and be careful to be as insulting as possible to the other side. That'll end well.

attacking Anne Rice,

You know, leaving aside any feminist issues, Anne Rice is a massive target simply because if you throw something at her odds are it's gonna stick. Armand to Edward is a pretty straight line, and some of her professional choices outright scream a terrible arrogance and lack of perspective.

Actually, I'd prefer if you could come up with four or five, because just one isn't going to cut it on a topic like this.

Beam us up, Mister Scott.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm still trying to figure out which side is "anti" to what.

Offline qwadtep

As I understand it, the GG side is against the backroom dealings that dominate gaming journalism, while the AGG side is against sexism. Unfortunately, as the case at the center of all of it has to do with a woman's allegedly sleeping with journalists in return for favorable reporting, the two end up in conflict at the expense of the actual issue at hand. Go figure.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
AtomicClucker, this thread will be locked if you have not provided a compelling reason for the moderation staff to suffer this thread to live by tomorrow morning.

I was serious.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I admire the mods patience. GG, aGG, their respective "leaders" and groupies, and all things related to either of them are a waste of disk space - which is saying something, considering that disk space is now essentially an infinite resource.

(Mongoose:  Cole's notes - both "sides" are basically anti-reasonable discussion, nuance, behaviour, etc.  There.  I explained the idiocy for you.)

Consign it all to the trash heap and let's focus on something actually worth our time.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Deadline elapsed, no reasons given.  Locked.