Author Topic: 3ds max free mechwarrior modeling tutoria  (Read 1876 times)

Offline mikeva1

3ds max free mechwarrior modeling tutoria
http://tutorial-z.com/mechwarrior-modeling-tutorial-daishi-low-poly-model-chapter-1/

chapter 1 of 6. I looks like it is a pretty good one. It DOES NOT tell noobies how to use 3ds max so get hold of some tutorials if you are a noobie like me.

Re: 3ds max free mechwarrior modeling tutoria
BTW, I go all the way back to 3D Studio R4 for DOS, and I've never used background images like that after the very first project I built.

My workflow has always been to get good high res images and take them into Illustrator (or some other vector graphics program) and trace everything as paths. I then import the paths into MAX, scale and position appropriately, and freeze them. Can't interact with them at that point but can clearly see what you need with minimal clutter and very high accuracy assuming you started with high-res source images. Your mileage may vary, but if you have Illustrator give that workflow a spin and see if you don't like it better.

That tutorial is a good find. If you have any questions about how to model things in MAX I can help. Can't help with making them work in MCO as I've never done that.

Also, anyone can get a fully licensed copy of MAX now with the student licenses they offer, they're not strict about it the main factor is you're agreeing to not make money with it. If you're going to make money, you should buy a full commercial license always.

Offline mikeva1

I think that the tutorial gives a good feel for how to make a model - even if the deal with the 2 pictures is not something experienced users would need. I am pretty good at being able to take those 2 pictures and visualize exactly what each part will look like. My problem is that I have no real knowledge of 3Ds Max other then a few very basic video tutorials. Plus I have very little idea of what MCO needs in the way of pictures. I am digging into MCO and a couple of other games trying to figure them out without any great progress.
   I have not heard of Illustrator before so I am a bit lost.

The advantage you have is that you only need to know a tiny fraction of what MAX can do. For the model, you ONLY need the editable mesh tools, that's it. Figure out how to create a box, select it, convert it to editable mesh. A panel will pop up with all the tools and controls you need including the toggles between vertex/edge/face/element/object mode. Once you do that, read everything about the editable mesh tools.

Super important are Cut, Slice, Divide, Turn and Extrude. Learn about snaps and how to toggle them on and off on the fly, it's also important. Turning edges is super important. Very easy to do, the important thing is knowing why and that long thin polys are bad bad and how to turn edges to fix that and keep your geometry nice and clean as you build it. Besides actually moving geometry around, those tools are 90% of what you use adding detail to a primitive object. Also learn how to clone AND create geometry from scratch, creating vertices and making your own faces. Being able to do that makes a lot of adding detail to stuff much easier.

Once you have the model, you'll have to learn how MCO animates the mechs and what animations you need, etc. But for just making stuff, see above.

Majority of what you need for modeling is here: Editable Mesh Surface. There are links from there to each of the individual rollouts, you'll need to go to those to see the indivual functions.