Author Topic: [Solved]A Problem  (Read 2507 times)

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
When I try running retail, it gives me this:
=============================

Attention!

Please configure your system in the Launcher before running FS2.

The Launcher will now be started!

And:
Error

Freespace2/Fred2 cannot be run from a drive root directory!

============================

The problem is, it ran fine till now.

I can open Launcher, FRED and FSO just fine.

As for the launcher part of the warning, it doesn't open it, and even if I configure it (again) it still gives the same thing.

Running the game from shortcut, FreeSpace 2.exe and the launcher, it always gives the same result.

I did search around the net a bit, and quite a few people that got the game from steam have the problem, and I got it from GOG a long time ago, and I was using it till now.

Does anyone know how I could fix it?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 05:15:36 pm by wardog300k »
Crush the NTF-Conflict Zone
One last war, one last hope, one last survival-Final Destination On Delay
Set free from the GTVA-Liberation Wars On Delay

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
It sounds like retail can't find the registry entries it needs. I think if you run the retail launcher as administrator and start FSO from it, it'll add the registry entries. If that doesn't work, have a look to see if these exist in the registry:

Code: (http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Getting_started_with_FreeSpace_2#Registry) [Select]
Default location is: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Volition -> Freespace2
On 64 bit Windows: HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Classes -> VirtualStore -> MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Wow6432Node -> Volition -> Freespace2
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
Instead of launching FSO from retail launcher, I launched retail from FSO launcher, and it sortied itself up.

Thanks for helping me! Now I can watch the glorious destroyer battles I made today!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Any reason you're using FS2 Retail instead of FSO itself?  You can always decide not to run it with the MediaVPs or other enhancements.  FSO has many optimizations and fixes for bugs that are still present in retail.

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
I'm using retail instead of FSO cause FSO crashes a lot, while retail runs smoothly.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hmm.  Odd.  Although, maybe that could be due to an older graphics card.  You could try using FSO with the -noglsl option, or posting a debug log if that didn't fix it.  Of course, retail still works.

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
I'm pretty sure it is due to the older graphics card, as I have the Intel 82945G Express Chipset Family.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
OK, definitely for the Intel cards, use the -noglsl option, and the crashes should go away. :yes:

For the wxLauncher, that's under Advanced Settings > scroll down to the 'Troubleshoot' section > Disable GLSL (shader) support.

For Launcher 5.5g (Launcher.exe), that's under Features > select 'List type' 'Troubleshoot' > scroll in the 'Flags' section down to Disable GLSL (shader) support.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 08:45:22 am by jr2 »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
OK, definitely for the Intel cards, use the -noglsl option, and the crashes should go away. :yes:

Actually, no. The 945G is a really bad GPU, and there is no guarantee that it supports everything even the fixed function renderer needs these days. As a result, we really can't support it; Not to mention that newer mods, with more detailed models and textures will never run well on that hardware. If FS retail runs well enough for him, then he should use FS Retail and switch to FSO if and when he gets better hardware.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
I used -noglsl and entire system crashed few seconds after the main menu loaded. I tried it twice and both times the same thing happened.

If FS retail runs well enough for him, then he should use FS Retail and switch to FSO if and when he gets better hardware.

Retail does run at 30 FPS, with huge battles it can drop to 15, never had it below. I'm collecting money to buy a completely new PC, as this one is all integrated and I cannot upgrade it much. But, with the slow money getting and huge prices, I doubt I will buy a new one before 2018.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam

Actually, no. The 945G is a really bad GPU, and there is no guarantee that it supports everything even the fixed function renderer needs these days. As a result, we really can't support it; Not to mention that newer mods, with more detailed models and textures will never run well on that hardware. If FS retail runs well enough for him, then he should use FS Retail and switch to FSO if and when he gets better hardware.

True; however, those mods wouldn't run on retail regardless, I would think (are there exceptions?)

I remember running FSO 3.6.7 or 3.6.9 on a GeForce 5200 and I believe possibly even an integrated GeForce 4000 -- is the 945 even worse than that?  :eek:   Hmm... Answered my own quesstion:  the MX4000 is a year newer and perhaps more capable than the 845.  Both are extremely ancient.

IIRC, FSO 3.6.9 still had support for DirectX.  But as The_E said, it might not be worth setting up (I would, but I like that kind of thing).

If you need help building a budget PC, I'm sure there are a lot of people here who know where you can get the parts pretty cheap.