Author Topic: Star Wars Tie Fighter: 1994 vs 1995 vs 1998?  (Read 3043 times)

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Star Wars Tie Fighter: 1994 vs 1995 vs 1998?
So I just bought Tie fighter on GOG. I was interested to discover that there are three versions of the game: the original 1994 version, the updated 1995 version, and the further updated 1998 version.

Now I have to decide which version to use...

According to what I've read online...

1994 version: VERY old graphics, no voice acting.
1995 version: Adds voice acting, more cutscenes, and moderately better graphics.
1998 version: Even better graphics, and... different soundtrack?

What surprised me is that a lot of Tie Fighter vets insist on the 1995 version instead of the newer 1998 version. The only reason I've heard that they prefer it is the soundtrack (often referred to as iMuse); apparently the 1998 soundtrack was such a letdown that they would rather put up with older graphics.

So, to the Tie Fighter vets of HLP: which version would you recommend, and why?

Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Re: Star Wars Tie Fighter: 1994 vs 1995 vs 1998?
Haven't tried any of the non 5inch floppy versions, however, TIE Fighter's original soundtrack is the bee's knees.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Haven't tried any of the non 5inch floppy versions, however, TIE Fighter's original soundtrack is the bee's knees.

Incidentally, I'm familiar with the basics of MIDI files, and the 1994 & 1995 versions run on DOSBox. I started up the 1995 version and watched the intro video: opening crawl with crummy 8-bit imitation of John Williams. Then I dug around in the DOSBox options and turned on Gravis Ultrasound emulation... holy cow the IMPROVEMENT! :eek2: Now it sounds like a particularly Warhammery take on John Williams, which given that this is Tie Fighter makes perfect sense.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Also, the 1998 version's "better" graphics really just look worse these days, plus the area transition cutscenes (like entering the simulator) are just not as good. It has better joystick support, but DOSBox's mapping capabilities at least partially counter that. Everyone recommends the 1995 version for a reason, and iMuse is just one part of that (but probably still a big part; it's a cool system).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Sphynx

You can also do the 1998 version with the "Tie Fighter Reconstructed" mod which restores higher quality voice acting with a remastered version of the iMuse soundtrack. The soundtrack is not dynamic, but it has the amazing music that made TIE Fighter so memorable.
What we perceive is more a reflection of ourselves than of our environment.

The music in Tie Fighter really sets the atmosphere to the game. There was nothing better than hearing the theme when your Star Destroyer arrives.
Too many ideas.....not enough FREDing time!

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Interesting, thanks everyone! It looks like I'm going to be using the 1995 version. So far I've just been playing with the simulators to get the hang of the game; it looks a lot harder than Freespace.