Author Topic: Do away with the 2D HUD for 3D?  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Do away with the 2D HUD for 3D?
Just a thought... partly because I read about the slowness of penguin's (I think it was his) OpenGL port in 2D, and partly because of the fact the I have Elsa 3D glasses, and the depth positioning of the HUD in FS2 is crap.

Basically, the idea would be to have the existing 2D HUD display/render not as 2D objects, but as textures on a 3D plane. A true 3D radar map would then be possible, I'd think.

I also believe that the code for something like this already exists, because the 3D display of a targeted ship in the lower-left corner is, well, 3D! :)

It's not a very important change to make, of course, but it just may be something that would actually make things easier in the long run, as well as open up new doors of possibilities.

Any thoughts?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Re: Do away with the 2D HUD for 3D?
Originally posted by sandwich
Just a thought... partly because I read about the slowness of penguin's (I think it was his) OpenGL port in 2D, and partly because of the fact the I have Elsa 3D glasses, and the depth positioning of the HUD in FS2 is crap.

Basically, the idea would be to have the existing 2D HUD display/render not as 2D objects, but as textures on a 3D plane. A true 3D radar map would then be possible, I'd think.

I also believe that the code for something like this already exists, because the 3D display of a targeted ship in the lower-left corner is, well, 3D! :)

It's not a very important change to make, of course, but it just may be something that would actually make things easier in the long run, as well as open up new doors of possibilities.

Any thoughts?

I dunno..... I don't really see it as a major benefit, to be honest.  A true virtual cockpit could be neat - but then again, that coulkd hurt the gameplay by blocking visiblity(?)

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
Re: Do away with the 2D HUD for 3D?
Originally posted by sandwich
Most of the slowness is due to my own OpenGL ignorance :blah:  But I think I know how to fix it now.

Maybe this week I'll address tweaking the OpenGL/Linux port, since I have some time on my hands for a change...
your source code slave

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Re: Re: Do away with the 2D HUD for 3D?
Originally posted by penguin
Most of the slowness is due to my own OpenGL ignorance :blah:  But I think I know how to fix it now.

Maybe this week I'll address tweaking the OpenGL/Linux port, since I have some time on my hands for a change...

Ok, well it was just a thought. :)

While I'm asking, would anyone know where to change the Z-buffer setting for the HUD, to fix the 3D glasses problem?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill