Author Topic: FreeSpace Blue: No Blue Beams  (Read 2968 times)

FreeSpace Blue: No Blue Beams
Heya

I am using the latest nightly build (AVX fc62668) on the Freespace Blue Planet FSOInstaller thingy (which I ran this morning at 1100GMT), and have started the FS blue campaign.

One of the first things I noticed was that capital ships now have their AAA beams renamed from "Beam Turret" to "AAA Beam" which is really neat! However, on closer inspection it appears that these AAA beam turrets fire the bogstandard blob, significantly reducing the difficulty of the missions.

Re: FreeSpace Blue: No Blue Beams
And a log!

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I'd help if you precised which capship in which mission. Turret weapons may be overridden on a per-mission basis, when the names of the turrets are defined globally in the ship table.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Can you check the mission file in question to see if the ships have had their load outs altered from table default? It's possible that V swapped out the beams for blobs.

Yeah, bp has renamed turrets based on usual loadouts but :v: sometimes swapped beams for blobs. There are quite a few Rakshasas in the campaign with swapped in blobs instead of SReds or Leviathan/Aeolus cruisers with their flak and AAAs replaced by something more player-friendly.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

I'd help if you precised which capship in which mission. Turret weapons may be overridden on a per-mission basis, when the names of the turrets are defined globally in the ship table.

The SC Behemoth (The Rakshasa in A Lion at The Door) doesn't appear to have an SAAA beam, whilst both the original .fs2 file from Data and the BP .fs2file from the Blue VP mention that it have. The NTC Glorious doesn't seem eager to fire AAA weaponry at me either, even though it should have them.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Can you confirm that those ships fired beams in retail?

Offline Kolgena

I can confirm that SC Behemoth is supposed to fire AAA beams at you.

I can confirm that SC Behemoth is supposed to fire AAA beams at you.

Command even specifically mentions that you ought to watch out for the anti-fighter beams on those craft (this is the third and fourth mission of the campaign)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
If the mission file says it should have an AAA beam I wonder why it's not firing.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Did the beam-free-all go away or something?

Weren't AA beams exempt from that anyway? The ships in Finest Hour always used theirs.

If the mission file says it should have an AAA beam I wonder why it's not firing.

They are firing. However, it's either blobs in the case of the SC Behemoth (Rakshasa) and the NTC Glorious (Fenris). In the case of the NTC Impervious (Leviathan) it's a combination of blob turrets and flak cannons. All these craft are supposed to have AAA cannons and the missions specifically mentions them. It's defintely definitely not something that should be happening, and it makes these missions considerably easier then they ought to be.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Glorious and Impervious are properly firing their beams for me

What build are you using Mars?

The Fenris and Levithan which normally have a bunch of blob guns on their engines have all of the blob turrets renamed into AA beams. They still work as normal.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Aren't those normally AAA beams on a Leviathan?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Fenris has 2 AA beams on the engines (ventral pair IIRC), while Leviathan has 4 according to tables.
If they're blobs then they were changed into blobs in mission to nerf the cruisers antifighter defenses.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Hmm, AAA beams seem to have returned after I fully reinstalled my entire FS2 installation and created a new pilot file under 372 before switching to the nightly builds. As I didn't do this in any scientific way I can't exactly tell you what fixed the problem, but everything seems to work now.