Author Topic: Star Control 2 Reboot?  (Read 2139 times)

Re: Star Control 2 Reboot?
I'm actually quite optimistic for SC Reboot! The original will definitely be very very hard to top, but,

Quote from: the article
In addition, many members of the former Civ V team that worked on the art, terrain, character models, ship modeling, sound effects, 3D engine and systems have been brought onboard. In addition, Chris Bucholz of Cracked.com will do the writing for the game.

Bucholz is strong writer.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I'm always a bit sad when people try to recreate lightning-strike games. Just accept that SC2 is darn near perfect and spend your energy on something new, because you're not going to top the original.

I saw a lot of people say the same thing when they rebooted XCOM.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Maybe just think of it as "Star Control 4", taking the best parts of SC2 and making something new.

And oddly enough I didn't care for the new Xcom.
Tried to get into it, but it kept pissing me off.  The pod-based enemy system in particular totally changes the feel of the game from a real breathing world, to just a game with a series of challenges.  Some of the special missions I encountered didn't make a whole lot of sense either.  Like pacifying an area after a VIP extraction.

Maybe will try to get into it again sometime, but it's not high on my list.

I have conversely enjoyed x-com influenced games like Shadowrun and Halfway.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface

Tried to get into it, but it kept pissing me off.  The pod-based enemy system in particular totally changes the feel of the game from a real breathing world, to just a game with a series of challenges.  Some of the special missions I encountered didn't make a whole lot of sense either.  Like pacifying an area after a VIP extraction.

Which I can understand for people that grew up with those old games in particular, but for people (like me) who never have and never will play the old x-com, nuxcom is pretty damn great, and I'm very much waiting for nuxcom2.

If someone's is trying to bring another old gem - that I and the vast majority of gamers will never play - to modern standards, more power to them.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 01:05:24 am by MatthTheGeek »
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Which I can understand for people that grew up with those old games in particular, but for people (like me) who never have and never will play the old x-com, nuxcom is pretty damn great, and I'm very much waiting for nuxcom2.

If someone's is trying to bring another old gem - that I and the vast majority of gamers will never play - to modern standards, more power to them.

Yeah.  I don't want them to not do it, I just can't see how they can top it.  Hopefully will be great.  Likewise don't have a problem with people liking the new Xcom, just didn't resonate with me.

Same with Master of Orion. Someone is remaking that and is even using the first, better game, to draw artistic inspiration from.  But since nearly every 4X game copies Master of Orion 2, which I didn't care for at all (but most people seem to prefer), I can't see myself being super interested in any potential Master of Orion reboot either.

I do find it pretty interesting that so many companies are going back to the 90s to do reboots.  Even more interesting is that a lot of these new projects seem to be born out of the collapse of that major publisher I can't recall the name of. Maybe the way to get new installments of your old favourite game is to have the publisher which is hording that IP to go down in flames and auctioned-off piecemeal. :P

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Sometimes, just bringing to the table a modern UI and streamlined gameplay is enough to "top it" for a lot of people.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
That, and modern graphics. What looked OK on a square-ish, 1024 pixel wide CRT often looks much less OK on a modern widescreen monitor. This is part of why I despise "retro" games that use pixel graphics (the other part is that inevitably, such graphics are very lazily done). I still play old games sometimes, but I definitely appreciate good looking graphics and proper HD support.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Sometimes, just bringing to the table a modern UI and streamlined gameplay is enough to "top it" for a lot of people.
Star control 2 would benefit greatly from some kind of quest log.
The game requires you to either have an iron memory or to make notes.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Well I've listened to some podcasts with that Brad Wardell and I liked the things he's said about Star Control so my hopes are a bit higher for the game.