Author Topic: Freespace/Blue Planet Illustrations  (Read 74614 times)

Re: Freespace/Blue Planet Illustrations
Let's say it's something that *should* be there.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
texture-replace SexP in Fred
Sadly there is no such thing AFAIK. :( You can turn off individual glowpoint banks but not specific glowmaps, only for the entire ship.

There is texture substitution in FRED...I'm not sure it's SEXP controlled but I'm pretty sure it's in the ships editor.

The texture replacement is the only thing for that though. You can turn off individual glow maps via scripting (some death roll script did that once), but there's no SEXP for that. FRED doesn't seem to accept variables in the texture replacement either - the only thing you can do is replace 1 ship#noglowmaps with one that has them on to get that effect - something that's horrible difficult and off-scope for this here.

BTW, is there any chance of seeing this in-game one day? ;7

Sadly there is no such thing AFAIK. :( You can turn off individual glowpoint banks but not specific glowmaps, only for the entire ship.

There is texture substitution in FRED...I'm not sure it's SEXP controlled but I'm pretty sure it's in the ships editor.
As far as I know, there is no way to replace a texture during the mission itself, be it through SEXP or LUA.

So I'm thinking the best way is just to attach the glows to the armor itself by putting them on pieces of transparent geometry slightly offset from the hull. That or ditch the idea altogether, it's kind of a gimmick anyway.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.

As far as I know, there is no way to replace a texture during the mission itself, be it through SEXP or LUA.

Hmmmm.... makes you wonder why. I mean if it were an issue with engine not being able to load-in textures after the initial loading of a mission, then SEXPs like ship-create wouldn't work... Or maybe ship-create and similar are such edge cases...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

One of the great mysteries of the FSO engine. Probably ask on their board about it? I only know that alternating stuff- such as fading maps in - would require new shaders... which don't exist. You can- atleast could- disable individual maps though.

--------------------------

Soooo..... is there a chance of seeing this in-game one day? ;7

The ship or the texture-replace sexp?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Hmmmm.... makes you wonder why. I mean if it were an issue with engine not being able to load-in textures after the initial loading of a mission, then SEXPs like ship-create wouldn't work... Or maybe ship-create and similar are such edge cases...

When the mission is loaded, and the ship-create sexp is found, the game will pre-load the data (including textures) for the ship class used by that sexp.

However, this is not a restriction, just an optimization.  If the data were not pre-loaded, there would be a slight pause when the ship is created.

The ship or the texture-replace sexp?

The ship. :) (Texture replacement would be nice too but is unlikely to happen)

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
We could just have the ship with these armor plates, but not destructible ones. Just make them a region of the vessel that reduces damage taken if hit (not sure if possible in FSO, though?) so you'd need to target other sections in order for a quick kill.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Make one with and one without - rationalize it as the one without armor plates being the "export"-variant or something

When the mission is loaded, and the ship-create sexp is found, the game will pre-load the data (including textures) for the ship class used by that sexp.

However, this is not a restriction, just an optimization.  If the data were not pre-loaded, there would be a slight pause when the ship is created.

The things you learn when you but ask.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

OPFOR Fighter

:yes: is this more an athmospherical fighter with the vertical fin?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
It feels somewhat aquatic to me.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

It's what happened when I tried to combine a YF-23 and a Portuguese man o'war. Still in the early stages, it needs a little more weirdness.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Can it have cthulu face?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

No cthulu face because already too many cthulu in space.

Nice nice. So I'd guess it's some sort of air and underwater vehicle?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Or naboo royalty  ;7
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png