Author Topic: Unhandled exception at 0x690782F2 (atioglxx.dll)  (Read 1493 times)

Offline dantrav

Unhandled exception at 0x690782F2 (atioglxx.dll)
HI All,

I recently upgraded my card to a R9 390 and ever since i get the following errors when trying to start Any version of FS2 Open on any campaign. I cam from a HD7950 but my computer was dormant aftter the HD795- failed for a bout 3 months.

Unhandled exception at 0x690782F2 (atioglxx.dll) in fs2_open_3_7_3_AVX_20151121_71cf169.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x001A4000.

Oddly enough Diaspora (which is located in a different directory) appears to work great. I am planning on blowing away my FSO install and starting over next, but wanted to confirm there was not a quick and easy fix first.

Overall Specs (in case something else is relative to this problem)

Windows 10
i73820
8GB ram

Thanks for any pointers.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Unhandled exception at 0x690782F2 (atioglxx.dll)
I'd reinstall your graphics drivers.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline dantrav

Hi Thanks for the advice. I tried that and unfortunately no joy. I was then going to try reinstalling Freespace and FSO but it appears that my original disks won't install on Windows 10... I did some research and apparently that is common.

Do you have any additional advice?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
When you say "no versions of FSO" run, which versions have you tried? Have you gone back as far as 3.6.14 or 3.6.16? (those versions are approximately the same as the Diaspora version)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline dantrav

Hi Guys,

I figured it out. It looks like an ATIOGLxx.dll file was in the launch directory from a previous install. I removed that file and it started working great. I guess (not knowing the full workings of the application) that if it see's the file there it takes that file otherwise looks elsewhere, and the one i had in the directory would likely not work with the new card.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
FSO should work just fine with the latest AMD drivers; there should be no reason to use an older version for FSO these days, so the file is safe to delete.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.