Author Topic: Let's Play Steel Panthers 3: Campaign Generator Madness!  (Read 10307 times)

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Re: Let's Play Steel Panthers 3: Campaign Generator Madness!
How does resupply/rearm work in this game? Are we just without forward observers now? Can we salvage and repair lost FIST-Vs?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
How does resupply/rearm work in this game? Are we just without forward observers now? Can we salvage and repair lost FIST-Vs?

At the end of the battle, based on your performance, you are given a certain number of points to repair and upgrade your stuff. Mechanically it's less expensive than ordering it new so it's likely that some of it involves dragging damaged vehicles in for repair.

We have been tasked with a spoiling attack against a North Korean counteroffensive. We are expected to be heavily outnumbered, but our task is to advance into the attack, punch a hole, and force them to reorganize to keep us out of their rear areas.

We have air support available. It's a diverse group. Two South Korean F-4E's with 1000lb bombs, two Italian Tornadoes with napalm, and a single A-6E Intruder with dozens of 500lb bombs. Medium bombers in close air support are like that. Just be thankful this isn't Main Battle Tank, where you can literally get B-52 close air support.

After the experience before the campaign, I deploy most of our vehicles in the center, and one company of panzergrenadiers to size the objectives which are well to the north. The more open terrain there also favors our ATGM-armed vehicles against enemy tanks, and our better fire-direction. Air support has been directed to make preliminary strikes as much for recon as for possibly hitting enemy vehicles. (In MBT and World At War, this is actually a thing you can do; MBT in particular encourages the use of US Predator drones for air recon.) One company of panzergrenadiers under The E supports the center, one (with only a single platoon of Marders) will seize objectives. The other will be south and commence a flanking movement when applicable.

Lepanto's team of ten AH-64A Apaches will scout and provide support as needed. Their mobility and firepower are really the reason I feel safe putting unsupported mech infantry on my flanks, because there are few problems in the world that cannot be solved with nearly a dozen Apaches.

The AI fakes me out again. They damaged the two naplam-armed Tornadoes. Welp. Lepanto, it's on you.

He does not disappoint. Much of the early work, though, has to go to finding and killing enemy anti-air, in this case SA-7 MANPADS teams. Otherwise the Apaches keep having to evade missile snapshots; not hugely dangerous individually, but annoying and 30 6 percent chances starts making the Law of Averages' slapping hand itch.

However, they've not faked us out as much as you'd think. We're actually perfectly positioned to shove Bradleys and Marders into their flank. Scotty's company is close enough they actually engage in this turn.

There are trucks and BTR-50Ps mixed in the North Korean force. The AI treates these as "soft vehicles"; they immediately dump cargo and attempt to retreat to deny us kills. This gets a number of them shot by the Apaches reaction-fire. Then the MLRS comes in; not ideal, but it does decently.

We're ceding the center objective to vehicles. MLRS is targeted on it, though, so they're not getting off easily. There's also entrenched panzergrenadiers and their AT weapons. After the MLRS lands, The E's company will move in.

They sent a couple of companies of tanks to stop the Bradleys. Scotty and Popolion's companies stopped them, and then the Apaches swarmed in, getting behind them so their 30mm autocannon and 70mm folding-fin rockets can penetrate. What had been eighteen tanks rapidly becomes three.

The aircraft are doing amazing work. Many enemy units are retreating, but the panzergrenadiers, most of them, in the center are overrun by enemy APCs and IFVs. They do not go down without a fight, however. SP3 has a mechanic called "assault" regarding how infantry interact with vehicles in their hex or the adjacent hex. Infantry can fire their weapons (all of them) at a vehicle, and do damage or not do damage, as the case may be. They can also "assault" the vehicle. This represent infantry attempting a close-range attack, if not a literal swarm attack with grenades then attempting to rush in close and fire their rockets from thirty feet out. Assaults are conducted as a series of attacks, starting from a maximum hit chance and decreasing by half each time until the final one at 2%. Base hit chance is judged by the weapon used and whether the infantry is attacking by surprise; either literally as they have just been revealed by assaulting or the vehicle did not have line of sight to the infantry and the infantry is assaulting as immediate reaction fire to them occupying an adjacent hex.

Surprise assault by concealed infantry is frankly the most terrifying thing that can happen to your vehicles. The hit percentages are high, they get multiple tries at you for the cost of only one attack, and it's one of the few things besides bombing and heavy artillery shells that can push a vehicle crew's morale to the breaking point. (It's not fun for the infantry either and generates a lot of suppression for them too unless they completely destroy the vehicles, but not quite as much.) The Panzergrenadiers holding the center conducted more than a dozen assaults against BMP-2s and BTR-60s, destroying seventeen vehicles, before being overrun.

Then the MLRS fires and annihilates the North Korean vehicles that just did it, and The E's company of Panzergrenadiers sweep in.

Polpolion's group took a single hit (lucky bastard, they literally had a 2% hit chance and golden BB'd a Bradley with it) that knocked out a vehicle but beyond that things are mostly going well.

We've pushed in one flank, but the other one, well...take a look. That's a lot T-54/55 variants.

The Panzergrenadiers deal with the last of the APC/IFVs, but the tanks will be harder to crack. That said, StarSlayer's and Popolion's companies of Bradleys have discovered that the T-54/Type 59/T-55's side armor are not proof against Bushmaster fire at short range, while the smaller Rh202 20mm cannon of the aren't able to stop the tanks, the MILAN 3s of The E's Marders deal well enough with the leakers.

Also, they're advancing into a pre-sighted artillery killzone, and the MLRS are having a field day. The North Koreans have taken massive losses, but they keep coming; StarSlayer's and Polpolion's companies are even throwing coaxial MG fire at them now.

Scotty's company has commenced a right hook for the North Korean objective area, but are still firing into the remaining enemy tanks.

All over but the shouting, now. The tanks are all dead. The Apaches move in to clean up with cannon and rockets, and then the Bradleys move through to make sure.

One of Scotty's Bradley platoons finds a lone T-54B that had fled far distant.

Scotty himself drives over to dispatch the straggler.

We win. The battle is not even close; the North Koreans are completely wiped out. About half the Bradleys and MLRS made veteran off this, as did some of the Apaches. Upgrades this time include finishing upgrading the Panzergrenadiers' rides, and Scotty's command section and one of his platoons are now equipped with M1A2s.

o7 to the Panzergrenadiers of Company E (not to be confused with The E's company). You held the line.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Huzzah Echo Company Panzergrenadiers!

DPRK, prepare yourselves for surprise Bushmaster spanking
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth

Deep breaths. Deep breaths.

As I left my chopper to the ground crew and headed back toward barracks, I took a detour through the old path over the rice fields. Leaving the clamor of men and machines behind, I let the brisk evening air wash over me.

Little eye-of-the-storm moments like these came all too rarely. I was going to savor this precious alone time rather than get wasted with my pilots, thank you very much.

It had all moved so fast, none of it seemed real. Back in '91, we all thought it was over. Now that the Evil Empire had fallen, we'd just be policing the world and taking out the occasional trumped-up dictator. But then came the nuclear tests. The war. Getting shipped out with a forward observer unit, thanks to rear-echelon shenanigans. Posted to the patchwork combat command "Hard Light". Butterflies in my stomach before our first round with the Russkies. That fireball right next to us, when a Hind sniped one of my FIST-Vs because I'd put us in bad cover and I'd tell myself that I wouldn't make those mistakes again but I knew I would and I'd replay that scene again over and over and...

No. Bad thoughts. Steer train of thought back on course.

Walking alone with my thoughts was getting me nowhere. I remembered StarSlayer had said he'd buy a round for The E and his men after their gutsy assault on the NK armor. Heading back toward the base, I asked the first MP I saw where the other unit commanders were eating. I had enough cash on me for a night on the town.

We'd won. And tonight, I wanted to feel like we had.

-----------------------

Probably not the best RP ever, but I'd like to get something going here. Constructive criticism is welcomed, despite the pain it causes my ego.

So yeah, we're doing pretty good so far. How smart is this game's AI; i.e. can you exploit it to death, or do you still need hard work and luck to win?
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
**** yeah, got myself a proper goddamn tank to shoot dirty commies with.  Wohoo 1st Platoon and HHP.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
So yeah, we're doing pretty good so far. How smart is this game's AI; i.e. can you exploit it to death, or do you still need hard work and luck to win?

It has exploitable quirks and units, but unless you turn the points to max and delibrately abuse them (neither of which I've done) it's hard to completely break it. If the Russians had managed to sortie their aircraft, we would have been hurting a lot more, and they came relatively close to forcing us to give ground once already. Anyone who has experience with Russian rocket artillery knows that the moment a Grad or Uragan battery fires hilarity is going to ensue. (They didn't have any, the time we faced them, fortunately.) The T-80s were dumb and showed us their sides, or they might have tanked StarSlayer's TOW-2 hits until doomsday.

We usually get off more shots and use artillery better than the AI, but the stars can align on terrain, mission, or opponent's unit types at any time if you're not careful. The first real test we're likely to face is either an attack mission in urban terrain, or a defend mission anywhere. So far we've had meeting engagements and "delay" missions, which are the little brother of a real defense mission.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 10:40:41 pm by NGTM-1R »

A Feddie Story

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
We've pushed in one flank, but the other one, well...take a look. That's a lot T-54/55 variants.

brb reinstalling WGRD

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
brb reinstalling WGRD
you should play with the #BP WaRD crew some time
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
The North Korean counteroffensive continues. We have been diverted to a city just north of Kaesong, where two companies of Belgian mechanized infantry are guarding the northward supply route. A major attack is expected, so in addition to the Belgians we've been allocated significant air support; two flights of Belgian Mirage 5s with naplam and a half-dozen A-6Es from the Nimitz strike group with heavy iron bombs and napalm.

Unfortunately snarls in the underdeveloped North Korean road network mean we'll probably be arriving after the attack develops, and from two directions. The Panzergrenadiers will arrive from the south, where the terrain is fairly open, and advance to contact. They'll be supported by Lepanto's helicopters.

Our armor, including Scotty's shiny new tanks, will arrive from the west, and relieve the Belgian AIFV-Bs protecting the city.

****ING AIREDALES. I did say friendly fire could happen, so guess what? It did!

All four of the Mirages were damaged by SAMs or ground fire making their runs, but escaped alive. We also lost an Intruder; he got clipped by 12.7mm DsHK fire while making his run and crashed in no man's land; no 'chutes. Still, they gave us a pretty good idea of what's coming. Look at all that red on the minimap.

To be continued tomorrow morning!

A Feddie Story

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
This is back, yaaay!  :D

Our own air support can't tell the difference between North Koreans and NATO forces, booo!  :nono:
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I'm going to briefly summarize this, primarily because the battle ended a lot faster than I expected so I only got one more screenshot.

The Panzergrenadiers took the south flank, using the rougher patches of terrain to their advantage to better conceal their vehicles, and actually did quite well for themselves; they annihilated several companies of BTR-mounted infantry, and at the end a company of SU-100s had been diverted to try and deal with them. The SU-100s couldn't actually see the Marders I think; they were mainly firing at the Avenger air defense vehicles accompanying them.

The center wasn't nearly as good. Sheer volume of fire from BMPs and Sagger-armed BRDMs destroyed several Bradleys in Popolion's and Scotty's companies after they slotted in alongside the Belgians, at the cost of most of the BMPs. The Belgian AIFV-Bs also took several losses. This left little to engage the remaining BTR infantry carriers as they closed, though Popolion's FIST-V vehicle distingushed themselves by managing to knock out a pair of BTR-60s at close range. The BTRs actually overran one of Scotty's Bradley platoons, but fortunately their KPVT 14.5mm machineguns weren't able to harm the Bradleys, and Scotty's command section with its two M1A2s destroyed the overrunning vehicles.

Lepanto's helos essentially frozen the south-center enemy forces in place with reaction fire, so StarSlayer's company didn't face nearly the same level of pressure. The A-6Es made up for their earlier behavior a lot, but two of them were shot down, both by AAMG fire rather than missiles.

Then rather abruptly, with BTRs all up in Scotty's grille and the first T-54/Type 59s starting to enter sight, the North Koreans broke. While looking at the post-battle screen it's easy to see why (they'd lost over 1500 men, 42 tanks, and over a hundred APCs), in terms of remaining combat assets they were still in decent shape for armor. The answer, I think, comes from the A-6Es and Mirage 5s; many of their units had their paths to advance blocked or were caught in areas lit up by napalm, causing them to retreat. Their artillery support was also gone; for some reason those North Korean forces we've encountered prefer the deployment of heavy mortars to tube artillery or rocket vehicles, a minor mercy.

Sum total: two turns of actual combat.

A Feddie Story

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Not sure if I'm disappointed. If those IFVs gave us that much trouble I'd hate to think of what all that armor would've done if they pressed the attack. Thank god for napalm, I guess.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Scotty's company is now completely outfitted with Abrams. StarSlayer's company has a single platoon still in Bradleys, but the command platoon and two of the others are in Abrams. Only Polpolion's company is still entirely in Bradleys.

Our task this time is centered on securing a portion of the local road net, such as it is, that is expected to be important to future battles. As the battle lines are fluid at this time, with a major shifting of opposing units in progress, we do not know who exactly is opposing us. Both Russian and Chinese units are close enough to be threats. Air support, aside from Lepanto's helicopters, is not available; all strike assets have been tasked to interdiction.

Our objectives are to secure the route to the north-west, so once again the objective hexes are layed out a little goofy, making possible enemy deployment unpredictable. In light of this I'm going to undertake a somewhat novel deployment: Scotty's company of tanks will take the North, supported by a company of Panzergrenadiers.

The E will lead two companies of Panzergrenadiers in the center, with Lepanto's helicopters to scout and support as needed. (also pictured: me not having loaded the infantry of one Panzergrenadier company into their APCs yet)

Finally Popolion's and StarSlayer's companies will take the south, where there's a good hill overlooking our objectives.

(As an experiment, I tried deploying this way twice and watching enemy deployments; they were radically different. Hmm.)

Lepanto's helicopters report Russian vehicles, formation weighted to the north. There is a yawning gap in the center and south, where artillery is deployed unscreened by other units. An SA-13 mobile SAM battery is keeping the helos off the northern force for the moment, but artillery has been tasked to deal with it.

In the meantime one of the AH-64 teams is sent south and annihilates an unprotected battery of SO-122 Gvozdikas. The others are sniped at from a distance, but are protected from close-range 70mm rocket attacks by the umbrella of SAMs.

Scotty's company spots T-80BVs. Call for fire!

The MLRS wipe them out, but BMP-2s advance fearlessly.

The MLRS are doing well today in general, having already counterbattery'd most of the enemy SPGs to death, though they only got one of the SAM vehicles.

Lepanto's helicopters make use of a hill to screen themselves against the SAMs and finish off some more of the enemy SPGs.

Popolion and StarSlayer's companies advance to flank the enemy, StarSlayer's Abrams annihilating the few BMP-2s they run across.

Meanwhile to the north Scotty's company trades fire with a company of T-64BVs. The first few rounds of HEAT against the T-64s are stopped by ERA, so the M1A2s switch to Sabot and promptly start destroying things. MLRS finishes whatever survived, but another company of tanks, T-62MVs, and several companies of BMP-2s replace them.

SAM threat annihilated, Lepanto's helicopters swarm in to attack the remaining enemy artillery and anything else that might be handy. In the process they're bushwhacked by Gremlin MANPADS team, and one of the helos takes a hit; it survives with some damage. In return, they destroy the remaining SPGs, swarm over a company of T-64s and annihilate it, and pick off some straggling BMPs.

StarSlayer's and Polpolion's companies crash into the enemy flank, engaging dismounted infantry who've lost their vehicles and destroying them.

Even with the backing of all available MLRS, the north end simply has too many enemy vehicles for Scotty's tanks to handle alone though they've filled the small gully and stream with BMP and T-62 wrecks. Return fire destroys one of the Avenger HMMWVs assigned to provide AA defense to them, but bounces ineffectually off the frontal armor of the tanks. Fortunately, the Panzergrenadiers pick up the slack, but there are still a good couple of companies worth of vehicles left and the helicopters are held at bay by MANPADS teams. They instead find a battalion of 122mm towed guns and eliminate it.

StarSlayer's Abrams swat aside a few BMP-2 stragglers as they press forward towards the objective, with StarSlayer's command tank in the lead. Polpolion's Bradleys line up at the edge of the creek, engaging stunned enemy infantry before they can react.

StarSlayer's command tank shrugs off an RPG hit as it arrives at the objective, spraying machinegun fire from the coaxial, commander's and loader's machine guns into a mob of Russian infantry, while the second tank in the command section destroys a couple of MT/LB mortar carriers.

The infantry attempt to flee, but Polpolion's Bradleys get them.

Meanwhile, Scotty's company advances, eliminating the last two enemy tanks and a couple of BMP stragglers who managed to survive the rain of MILANs from the Panzergrenadiers. The last few enemy infantry, cut off and surrounded, surrender or are destroyed in place.

At the loss of a single HMMWV and two men, we have destroyed 173 each of enemy APCs and AFVs, and inflicted 2328 casualities. I thought, in fact, that we'd gotten everyone...

...but there was apparently one unit of motor-riflemen still alive at the end. Whoops!

A Feddie Story

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Another day in the Army. (Can't find anything like this with an Abrams, alas.)

A Feddie Story

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

Hello Pact, we would like to take your roads and blow up your stuff

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I just bothered to check if Team Yankee was on Amazon for cheap since my original paperback went AWOL.  Bam, on Kindle Sold!

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I just bothered to check if Team Yankee was on Amazon for cheap since my original paperback went AWOL.  Bam, on Kindle Sold!

Irony: one of the major slowdown causes for this is I've been reading Team Yankee myself.

A Feddie Story

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
An Italian composite unit formed from elements of the 132nd Armored Brigade Ariete (consisting of a battalion of C-1 Ariete tanks, two companies of mechanized infantry, and some tube artillery and SAMs) has been assigned to follow up our previous success by breaking through Chinese lines. Meanwhile we'll be relieved and assigned to follow-up with the breakthrough if the Italians are successful quick, or to support them as they complete it.

The Chinese are entrenched on a series of bare hills, though there's some buildings in the center. Air support aside from our helicopters is unavailable. Lepanto will be moving in early to offer support to the Italians if enemy anti-air allows, and our artillery is moving into position to offer supporting fire to the Italians within a couple turns.

Lepanto's helicopters report significant entrenched light armor and a smattering of Type 80-I tanks, but little to stay the Arietes.

Then I am promptly forced to eat those words as an undetected platoon of Type 85-IIIs kills five Arietes before being smacked around.

And then we find the mines. There are several ways to deal with Mines in SP3, or other obstacles. Engineers can clear them, slowly, as can engineering tanks. Regular infantry can also clear them, even more slowly. You can go over top them with airmobile infantry in helos. You can dig them out with tube artillery, which is usually pretty quick, but struggles to get the last few out. Also you can just ignore them, which generally is a bad plan and costs you a lot of troops for dense fields like these.

I have precious little tube arty at the moment but I'm going to use it. I'll also try MLRS cluster munitions, but I have no idea if that actually works. (Preliminary observation suggests it doesn't, really.)

The Italians locate a small gap in the mines, big enough for a tank platoon to cross, and start shoving tanks through. They take some losses from tanks that wandered a bit too far, and the relatively light Arietes also are hit by enemy tank fire and lose a few to 125mm shells from Type 85-IIIs, but they do well and our MLRS supporting fire does well.

Enemy counterbattery forces the diversion of some of Lepanto's helos to deal with it. In the process, one Apache is brought down by small arms fire from the crew of one of the 122mm howitzer batteries.

The Arietes move in to seize their objectives, but enemy tank fire is taking a pretty heavy toll vs. their lighter armor. The Italian infantry, mounted in M113s, have little chance of safety and are held back. Fortunately, the Abrams arrive, with Scotty's company in the lead.

The Italians are bogging down. At close range their Arietes are too easily penetrated by Type 85-III fire and they've lost almost a company of tanks. Scotty's and StarSlayer's companies move in to support them, while Polpolion moves south towards where Italian tube artillery has hopefully put a hole in the mines protecting the Chinese position. Panzergrenadiers are in close support.

Enemy counterbattery is starting to become a real problem, forcing the MLRS to be retasked.

Scotty's command crests the ridge. "Target tank, twelve o'clock, range three hundred!" Shortly thereafter, the last Type 85s on this flank are dealt with.

The remaining Arietes are sent to chase the enemy artillery rather than continue their push against the entrenched Chinese. StarSlayer's company moves into their place, engaging entrenched armor and enemy bunkers.

The E's Marder 1A3s struggle to dig out enemy entrenched infantry with their autocannons while Polpolion's tanks put their machineguns to full use, but the sheer amount of enemy infantry holds them back for now.

One of StarSlayer's platoons has the unique experience of a short-range engagement with concealed enemy anti-tank guns. It's WW2 all over again!

Polpolion's company risks a crossing of the much-depleted minefield. One M1A2 is disabled by a mine, and the lead platoon is assailed by much-depleted enemy infantry, with hand grenades and RPGs bouncing off the tanks. A second group of 100mm T-12 AT guns adds to the fun. Some of Lepanto's helicopters try to provide suppressing fire, but are damaged by small arms, forcing their retreat. In the end though, the Abrams prove too well-armored to stop, retaliating with coaxial machineguns and canister rounds.

The Marder 1A3s following up have some brief excitement when a Chinese APC engages them with 25mm cannon, but quickly destroy it. That is the last effective resistance.

As you can see, the Italians took it on the chin making the breakthrough, losing over twenty tanks. If the Abrams had lead our losses would have probably been lesser, but perhaps not. Our MLRS units also took surprising losses. The Chinese suffered heavily in return, primarily due to length of contact rather than any specific shock on the field.

Several promotions ensue; most of Scotty's company has been uprated to Veteran, and Lepanto's helicopters are swiftly proving to be a key component of the force; their efforts digging out entrenched infantry were vital, and despite the damage they took, only one was lost. Several of them have been upgraded to elite.

A Feddie Story