Author Topic: "And so it is that ash seeketh embers" - Dark Souls III  (Read 18799 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
"And so it is that ash seeketh embers" - Dark Souls III

The Unkindled will rise,
nameless accursed Undead,
unfit even to be Cinder,
And so it is that ash seekth embers...

From Software is going ahead with closing the book on Dark Souls and the intro to the third and final installment looks suitably foreboding - only two more months :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 03:57:03 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Re: "And so it is that ash seekth embers" - Dark Souls III
thoundth good, i wonder what thort of emberth we'll be theeking
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That was super cool, I really love From's cinematic direction.

Offline 0rph3u5

thoundth good, i wonder what thort of emberth we'll be theeking

It is a call-back to intro of the original Dark Souls - see from 3:20 onwards of this video:

(I didn't have captions on so I only infered the "th" instead of a "s" as a suffix for "seek" in the sentence, I thought it to be a delibate turn into faux old English - I might as well have used quotation marks)

Looking at this again, I noticed a peculiar thing:

There is no mention of the Darksign in the intro, while the other two games refered to it in the intro, though not by name in the case of Dark Souls 2 (Dark Souls, see above; Dark Souls 2, see below)

Now the Unkindled are described as "accursed" which means the Curse is still around but the Darksign is not? - Interesting, interstinig indeed...

Spoiler:
Those Undead with the Darksign are special, as they are the ones who have the opportunity to bring about the Age of Dark and end the cycle which fuels the Age of Fire... (not all Undead have the Darksign but all who have the Darksign are Undead)

From From Software, we have heard that Dark Souls 3 is supposed to be the final installment and bring an end to the cycle (the endings of the first two games, if your chosen undead doesn't linke the fire and becomes a Dark Lord instead of a Lord of Cinder, are considered non-canonical)... so if not by bringing about an Age of Dark, how is the circle going to end?
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

(I didn't have captions on so I only infered the "th" instead of a "s" as a suffix for "seek" in the sentence, I thought it to be a delibate turn into faux old English - I might as well have used quotation marks)

It was just a dumb joke on the fact that 'seeketh' is the Ye Olde Englishe form, while 'seekth' sounds like someone speaking modern English with a lisp.

I don't have a controller to play the Souls games with but I do find the story fascinating; it'll be interesting to see how they wrap it up.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
Re: "And so it is that ash seeketh embers" - Dark Souls III
Apparently DS1 PC is being givenaway at golden joystick, if you don't have it already and you own a gamepad.
EDIT: Apparently the giveaway is already over.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 12:47:02 pm by Kobrar44 »
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline 0rph3u5

Apparently DS1 PC is being givenaway at golden joystick, if you don't have it already and you own a gamepad.

If you got it or are going to get as a pre-order deal, check the steam forums for DS1 - there you can find links to the fixes (FPS lock, Resolution, PvP region lock etc.) in the pinned topics

==================

Offline 0rph3u5

In the Spirit of the Day

==================

Offline 0rph3u5

And the trailer for the first DLC offering is here:

They seemingly took visual cues from the Painted World of Ariamis from Dark Souls 1 for some of scenes, but I might be mistaken because there has been no second "snowy forest"-area in the Dark Souls series (both Frozen Eleum Loyce [Dark Souls II, Crown of Ivory King] and Irithyll of the Boreal Valley [Dark Souls III] are more urban areas).

==================