Author Topic: Cannot recommend this Joystick enough for this game  (Read 11781 times)

Offline eisberg

Cannot recommend this Joystick enough for this game
So I got the Thrustmaster T16000M joystick recently.  Oh my...... This joystick is fantastic for its price range.  Back when Freespace 1 and 2 were new I was using the Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro joystick, which uses light sensors instead of mechanical sensors.  That joystick was very precise and made Freespace 1 and 2 very fun to play.   Fast forward to the last couple of years where I have been trying to play this game again and couldn't play with a joystick to save my life, any joystick I bought was horrible and I couldn't afford the more expensive joysticks.  I always returned a joystick after buying it when it didn't work to well for this game.  Then just a few days ago I bought this Thrustmaster T16000M joystick, which is $50, and it uses Magnetic sensors, which has proven to be just as precise even not more than the Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro joystick I had.

Now I am having a whole lot of fun with this game again, and I feel like I am in 1999 again.  I tried so many $80 or below joysticks over the years and none of them compare to this T16000M joystick.  I really wish I can afford the more expensive Joystick from Thrustmaster that uses the same Magnet technologies as this one does, would be great to be able to play with a HOTAS as well.

Anyways, I am now on he 8th mission in Freespace 1, playing with the Open Source version.  I bought FS1 and 2 on GoG, even though I still have the disks for both of them.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Re: Cannot recommend this Joystick enough for this game
Thanks for the info!  Do you mind listing the ones you tried and didn't like? 

I am still using my Sidewinder Force Feedback 2, but I know it isn't going to last forever, so I have been keeping an eye out for potential replacements.  The T16000M was already high on my list.  I can't afford a high-end HOTAS, either, but I am interested in the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline eisberg

The Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X is the last one I tried, and it wasn't nearly as good as the Sidewinder, and the T16000M is still far better.
I also tried Mad Catz FLY5, Mad Catz V.1 Stick, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, Saitek Cyborg 3D, Saitek St290, Saitek X45.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I've had my eye on the T16000M for a while, it's good to get another opinion on it.  I'll have to treat myself sometime soon ;)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline deathspeed

• Steam
The Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X is the last one I tried, and it wasn't nearly as good as the Sidewinder, and the T16000M is still far better.
I also tried Mad Catz FLY5, Mad Catz V.1 Stick, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, Saitek Cyborg 3D, Saitek St290, Saitek X45.

Thanks for the followup info! 

Maybe we need to have a Stickied thread that folks update with their recommendations like yours here so the community stays updated with Joysticks? It would be helpful no? Would include problems, how they were solved and all that.

All the Best,
Jadehawk
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline deathspeed

• Steam
Maybe we need to have a Stickied thread that folks update with their recommendations like yours here so the community stays updated with Joysticks? It would be helpful no? Would include problems, how they were solved and all that.

All the Best,
Jadehawk

I made a similar suggestion for a Joystick board.  :) 

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I haven't tried it with Freespace yet but I've been pretty happy with the T-16000m for Elite. Very precise stick, nearly as good as using a mouse for fine control. I did have to RTM my first one when the trigger started to give out after 6 months or so, but the replacement has held up fine (and I've learned not to squeeze so hard. :))

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I still have my beloved Sidewinder 3D Pro w/adapter for my Descenting, and I've been getting by with a Saitek Cyborg Evo for most other things, but I may need to give this a look-see.  Of course then I look at the likes of the X-52 and start drooling. :p

I have had the X52 for a long time and cannot recommend enough if this Joystick :)
I love everything about it and it works well with Il-2, Mechwarrior, Freespace 2 and other games. In fact, I never had much trouble with it at all. I have had it in storage for 3 years now and got it out...but it's not working well as it used to be. I think it's due to me not having the dedicated software installed ( I need to find the CD) so I can fine tune it once again.

All the best,
Jadehawk

Offline Davros

I think people playing without a forcefeedback joystick are missing a hell of a lot

I think people playing without a forcefeedback joystick are missing a hell of a lot

There aren't any being sold in retail anymore, AFAIK.

Offline pSimon

I'd give the Saitek X52 a B-, mostly due to the shonky drivers.

The best stability I managed meant it only crashed *occasionally*... invariably when a lot was happening. (Try flying when your joystick's reset its zero to hard right and see how you manage!)

Got a Warthog at Xmas, with a couple of MFDs... makes everything else feel like a toy. Very good, but the price is a tad eye-watering. The only thing I miss on it is a twist to roll.

Offline -Norbert-

The best Joystick I ever had was a Thrustmaster F16 FLCS (which I got almost 20 years ago), but that was still an old serial plug, so I can't use it anymore... if it even works.

But with the T160000 I'm also quite pleased. It took a bit of getting used to the way the spring is set up in the middle, but now I'm very happy with it.
And the thing you put your thumb on can easily taken off and replaced with a version for left-handed people with is a nice plus if you are left-handed (which I am not, but still worth mentioning).

In it's price-class it's certainly among, if not the best one available.

My previous Logitech Force 3D Pro was really nice... as long as it worked properly, which wasn't very long. One and a half years without a hitch and then half a year with problems, but still more or less acceptable and then unplayable. And going by reviews I was among the luckier ones with that life-span.
As great as their mouses might be, in term of Joysticks Logitech seems to suck.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
The best Joystick I ever had was a Thrustmaster F16 FLCS (which I got almost 20 years ago), but that was still an old serial plug, so I can't use it anymore... if it even works.

Uncertain if you could manage to get it working (you would need drivers for the joystick) but, it is quite possible (and not very expensive) to get a serial port on a modern computer (the same way it's possible to get a 3.5" floppy drive working on a modern laptop or desktop with no floppy support).

Before you ask, yes, they have those for the old 15-pin Gameports and parallel ports too.

EDIT: This search might have better results for the Gameports (searching USB to Gameport instead of USB + DB15).

All good information! Keep it going folks! I dig this stuff! :)

All the best,
Jadehawk

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
I have had the X52 for a long time and cannot recommend enough if this Joystick :)
I love everything about it and it works well with Il-2, Mechwarrior, Freespace 2 and other games. In fact, I never had much trouble with it at all. I have had it in storage for 3 years now and got it out...but it's not working well as it used to be. I think it's due to me not having the dedicated software installed ( I need to find the CD) so I can fine tune it once again.

All the best,
Jadehawk

I have this hotas as well and it has made my FS2 experience so much more immersive. You can download the drivers from the Saitek website.

Also, if you do the magnet mod and the spring mod to the joystick, then the performance is greatly improved as it becomes a lot more precise and the centering spring becomes stiffer. Be warned though, if you do mod the joystick then you will void the warranty (I didn't care about this). I paid about £80 for mine a couple of years ago!
I do not feel... I think!

Mod...Didn't know you could Mod it....but since I bought it long time ago, I'm sure the warranty has expired by now :) Gotta find that mod! 

All the best,
Jadehawk

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
I do not feel... I think!

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I recently had to retire my X52, as the stick-twist has developed a massive right-hand yaw.  I initially compensated by using the deadzone controls, but the yaw just got bigger and bigger, to the point where the twist was useless.  Fortunately, I had a Cyborg EVO sitting around that I had picked up at a Value Village for $7.99 some time ago.  It appears to be working properly for me, so it just took a bit of transition time to get accustomed to it.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!