Author Topic: What would you like to see in a 'Freespace 1 Blue'?  (Read 16480 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: What would you like to see in a 'Freespace 1 Blue'?
FS1 capship battles are not "fine". An Orion is incapable of destroying anything at all except by ramming. Capships in FS1 have absolutely no gameplay presence except as big setpieces to get blown up by bombs or the Lucifer.

Play this. Remove the Stilletos from the Athenas in the last mission, cheat away the Nephilim wings as well as the Fenrirs and then watch the Galatea broadside away at the Demon. (note: the SD Demon is doing some sub-optimal maneuvering if the bombers are out of the picture). Polish will be added in a new release

(yes it will take a while but it looks well enough, and it has presence)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline CT27

I can't find anything about this "Another Great War" people have mentioned on the FS Wiki.  Where can I download it and what is different about it than FS1?

Offline 0rph3u5

I can't find anything about this "Another Great War" people have mentioned on the FS Wiki.  Where can I download it and what is different about it than FS1?

SF_Junky made it a while back but the links are all dead ends now... I think I have a beta/release without patches on my backup drive - PM me if you like (but I am not responsible if it doesn't work)

It is more in the style of FS2 and was supposed to plant some seeds for SF_Junky's post-Capella campaigns (Stormfornt)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

The fact that you can't even download it any more is, I think, a good case for a new remaster of FS1.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Railguns. Freaking railguns or some other anti-capital weapons for all races. I hate capship battles in FS1

I think giant laser cannons would be best, personally. Railguns don't have the right feel for FS1, but if those enormous turrets on the Orion actually fired big flashy WW2-style blasts they'd be a lot more interesting.

Videos, there's some really cool clips buried in there, just have to skim through and find them (unless you don't mind the wait):

Offline 0rph3u5

The fact that you can't even download it any more is, I think, a good case for a new remaster of FS1.

Well, this one is still there ... I am just not certain if the version I have is safe to release to the general population without SF_Junky's consent - it might turn out to be an inferior version or something similiar that would reflect badly on the original creator; to me it is a matter of respect to have it signed off by the person that actually did all the work

==================

Offline Kie99

I haven't played it - I can't play Freespace without beam weapons involved any more - and haven't tested to see if it works but the download at the bottom seems to work

http://sectorgame.com/fsfiles/?dir=uploads/Projects%20-%20Campaigns%20-%20TCs/Campaigns/SCP%20Campaigns

You may need the Storm Front files as well judging by the original thread.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

If you see Freespace 1 from the view of FreeSpace 2... Shivans in FreeSpace 1 needs Beam Weaponary and Flaks, next to different locations for its missions, because of all the Node-, and Date Inconsistencies.
AFAIK AGW does not feature this completely like it was mentioned during FreeSpace 2's "The Great Hunt". I remember that a "Clash of the Titan"-Mission with a beamed weaponized Tantalus was only in a downloadable single mission.

Also it should take much more missions to have even a shield system. And the first weapons, like the Avenger, should be much weaker.

But if you see FreeSpace 2 from the view of FreeSpace 1, like you usually do, because FreeSpace 1 was the first one. FreeSpace 2 makes much more mistakes and is the real game that have all the errors and inconsistencies, that were never fixed ;)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 01:56:00 am by Deepstar »
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Yes, well... Freeespace 2 was well-written, Freespace 1 really wasn't. Therefore more people will base their headcannon on the better written one.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

If you see Freespace 1 from the view of FreeSpace 2... Shivans in FreeSpace 1 needs Beam Weaponary and Flaks, next to different locations for its missions, because of all the Node-, and Date Inconsistencies.

No you don't; play BP.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
Yes, well... Freeespace 2 was well-written, Freespace 1 really wasn't. Therefore more people will base their headcannon on the better written one.

FS1 was written... good but not great, I give it a 7/10, FS2 I would give a 9.5/10. I would actually like to change the story to FS1 more than anything else, it should introduce plot points drawn on in later games:
-Give the GTI a part in the story, and give hints of a possible future rebellion
-Show or give hints to the existence of the Sathanas and the larger shivan fleet
-Possible reference to Knossos portals
Stuff

Offline Lorric

Off the top of my head I remember The Big Bang got turned into a pretty lengthy mission, and the Taranis got upgraded to a Lilith and had a mission or two prior to dealing with it where it just came in and wrecked everything. Shivans had beams and allies had flak. But the Lilith was the most memorable, it made chipping away at the boulder much more satisfying the way it was built up to and more of a challenge with a Lilith instead of a mere Cain. There was certainly plenty more. Missions varied from mildly tweaked to greatly reworked and even the occasional original one. Shivan capital ships having beams and allies not but having flak worked surprisingly well. Iirc the missions on average were more lengthy than their FS1 counterparts.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
-Show or give hints to the existence of the Sathanas and the larger shivan fleet
Neither of these would make sense in the context of the FS1 timeframe.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever

Why? :confused:
Stuff

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

How, exactly, would you make reference to either of those things while still having them be unknown when FS2 rolled around?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever

How, exactly, would you make reference to either of those things while still having them be unknown when FS2 rolled around?

Personally, for the Sathanas, I would add some subtle hints in the ancient monologues of ships far larger than the lucifer, (or ones that can destroy stars).
But I will grant you the knossos portal could be left out

Fs1 and fs2's stories were more disconnected than I would have liked; it seemed to me  :v: was making things up as they went along, rather than having a story planned out in advance. Hence why we see no sign of the Sathanas in FS1, and no sign of the lucifer in FS2
Stuff

Personally, for the Sathanas, I would add some subtle hints in the ancient monologues of ships far larger than the lucifer, (or ones that can destroy stars).
But I will grant you the knossos portal could be left out

Would the Ancients have seen the Sathanas? I always believed that they were developed after the Ancients were destroyed (the Lucifer could have been an early test prototype).

Fs1 and fs2's stories were more disconnected than I would have liked; it seemed to me  :v: was making things up as they went along, rather than having a story planned out in advance. Hence why we see no sign of the Sathanas in FS1, and no sign of the lucifer in FS2

Like many "first" games, FS1 was a complete storyline that could have stood alone. Therefore, to continue the storyline, you would have to add something that wasn't there before. Also, FS1 did end with Alpha 1 saying that the Shivans would be back.

It's strongly implied that the nebula in FS2 was an Ancient system that met with the same fate as Capella.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
It's strongly implied that the nebula in FS2 was an Ancient system that met with the same fate as Capella.

By the fans.

In terms of the actual game there's no time or space to connect the two events because it kind of ends.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

You're right, it's not explicitly stated in the text. You have to actually think to see all the clues.