Author Topic: How does it end??  (Read 7978 times)

Given the big spaces between releases, I appreciate the team doling out small bits of lore and facts to keep fans engaged.

In particular, I enjoyed the strengths and weaknesses of both the cosmic horror Shivans and Vishnans, and how the GTVA and UEF have different views about how to "win". Which at this point seems likely to be some kind of middle ground between force and determining the "role" of humanity in the future of the cosmos.

The Vishnans, while powerful with both their ability to influence minds, and their technology, have hit, according to tech logs, a point of maximum efficiency and power.

The Shivans go to great pains to avoid "intelligence" as we understand, while still having long term goals and plans. Their weapons and tactics are adaptive, and resources seemingly infinite, but they can still be disrupted. However painful losing Earth was, I don't think the Shivans ever "expected" to lose a scouting fleeting. And while the Shivans were focused on destroying Capella, the fact that their fleet was held back and trapped there I don't believe was part of their plan. They can absorb these losses yes, but the very fact they can lose means there are, quantumly, universes in which they fail to achieve their goals.

However badly the GTVA is outgunned, the fact that Shivans still have goals and limitations to me means they can be frustrated and stymied.

Shivans are, as we know from Freespace, still dependent on subspace to access human and Vasudan systems. Other wise, at sub light speeds, it would take millions of years to hunt down and exterminate each colony of life they deemed "unworthy". What kind of advancement would a human, or human-vasudan culture achieve with that kind of time?

These are mostly just musings, and not a prophetic declaration of where the story will go. But a universe with two races with godlike delusions of designs for the "lesser" races of the galaxy must be communicated with a language of violence.

Shivans and Vishnans aren't enemies you can "simply" defeat, perhaps if their ultimate goals include some positives, they can even be reasoned with to an extent.

But simply cowering and waiting for them to conduct their likely harmful plans unopposed is unacceptable, the stakes are too high for there not to be resistance. And that resistance I believe is what is going to form the core of BP3. A declaration that the UEF/GTVA is too valuable to their plans to wipe out wholesale (either as killers or builders), too frustratingly resistant to their influence to directly control.

Please, I'm dying, call 911 and tell them I need 10 CCs of Act 4, stat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i3zrzyLOCw

I swear, I played WiH 5 years ago and there are still neurons in my head permanently dedicated to remembering its awesomeness :).

WAIT I FIGURED IT OUT! SHAMBALA IS THE HUMAN INSTRUMENTALITY PROJECT FROM EVANGELION

Offline MikeRoz

WAIT I FIGURED IT OUT! SHAMBALA IS THE HUMAN INSTRUMENTALITY PROJECT FROM EVANGELION
The Shivans and the Vishnans each only count as one Angel. There are at least ten more to go.

Good luck, pilot.
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

If this ends with a Giant Naked Laporte, I'm out of here.

Offline rance

If this ends with a Giant Naked Laporte, I'm out of here.

It'd be a happy ending for Simms

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
... play act 3?

Maybe my grandchildren will
Potato!

Just finished playing BP "Complete" for the first time. I thought complete meant it was a finished thing, not something with another cliffhanger at the end :'(

I think the waiting here is gonna be harder than waiting on Game of Thrones every year. Goddamnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Which does raise the question, what will they call it when they do release the finished campaign? BP super complete?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It'll still be BP Complete - all the released Blue Planet content in one package!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Yeah, but what will we call it to differentiate it from the current BP Complete?

Although... past experience says we'll probably just call it "the new BP Complete" because we're lazy like that.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

I suppose you guys could go with the Street Fighter style of naming conventions. Blue Planet Complete PLUS, BP Turbo, Ultra Blue Planet etc. :lol:

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Super Blue Planet Complete Turbo HD Remix
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Seriously though, I expect either "BP Complete Ver.2" or perhaps take cues from the MediaVP team and go with "BP Complete 2019" or something like that.
Hopefully my year estimate is conservative.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It's gonna be called Blue Planet forever

Blue Planet Ultimate Ricardo edition :pimp:

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Blue Planet Complete Electric Boogaloo.

Have you forgotten that Axem is part of the team?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Luis Dias

Yeah I think you should all defer to Axem for code name and official name attribution.

Eh. I didn't forget.