Author Topic: Hello there  (Read 2170 times)

Hi,

I'm joining the forum in order to support Linux community of FS2_Open with particular interest in Star Wars: Original Trilogy Mod

I do not possess modelling skills, but I've provided some help by testing new builds with latest Ubuntu releases and mesa git (oibaf ppa)
I've mantained an Ubuntu FS2_Open + SW OT mod How-To and filed some bugs for nouveau gallium drivers in GNU/Linux, related to normal maps artifacts and shaders causing  massive screen artifacts with some specific SW OT models on Nvidia NV4x family of chipsets with nouveau.
NOTE: There are no artifacts with NV5x and later, also no artifacts with NV4x when using SW rendering, just with NV4x chipsets and accelerated HW rendering

I'm also interested in building & testing of PCS2 in GNU/Linux and follow the evolution of PCS2 roadmap, as I see it also as a tool to capture apitraces .trace files for debugging purposes.
One thing I've noticed is that latest PCS 2.03 and 2.1 do not show the DDS maps, i.e solid object is shown without shaders.

I'm going to open new topics in appropriate forum sections to investigate the SW OT Models having artifacts and PCS2 capabilities.
Nice to meet you

Mauro

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
:welcome:

(close enough to a turbolaser which is more appropriate than a beam given your interest in the SW:OT mod :))

Good to see another Linux person around; and testing is a supremely useful skill to have around!

One thing I've noticed is that latest PCS 2.03 and 2.1 do not show the DDS maps, i.e solid object is shown without shaders.

There's a quirk in PCS2 where it doesn''t load textures unless the Texture Paths in the Options->Preference have a trailing slash. See if that helps you (I know this issue annoyed me for years until Axem enlightened me!)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

I'm not really sure if FSO should bother fixing nouveau-specific bugs...
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
no artifacts with NV4x when using SW rendering
...What version of FSO are you using, that software rendering still works?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

There's a quirk in PCS2 where it doesn''t load textures unless the Texture Paths in the Options->Preference have a trailing slash. See if that helps you (I know this issue annoyed me for years until Axem enlightened me!)

That did the trick
Thanks a lot niffiwan!

I've seen you contributed patches to PCS2, I have a trivial one here: https://github.com/maurossi/PCS2/commit/a411534be632c3e40bd5bce8e46acbcb72504914
but it is to be applied after pulling cmake changes by asarium.

I'm not really sure if FSO should bother fixing nouveau-specific bugs...

Hi Phantom Hoover,

my idea is to investigate what are the peculiarities of some specific SW OT models,
mainly to understand the problem, private messages to model's makers should suffice for this.

I'm sure that the problem is a nouveau limitation in nv30 driver component, because windows executable with same HW is not affected.

...What version of FSO are you using, that software rendering still works?

Hi AdmiralRalwood,

I forced rendering in mesa by using the following command line,
but it was just to verify HW rendering issues by reaching tech-room/ships,
the game is not usable in this way on NV4x chipsets, missions do not start.

Code: [Select]
NV30_SWTNL=1 /home/utente/Games/freespace2/fs2_open_3.7.2 -mod Star_Wars_beta4,MediaVPs_2014 -fps

In case I see some problem affecting different GPU drivers, as a real example normal maps not working when switching from fs2_open_3.7.2 to 3.7.4_RC2,
could someone please point me on how to report the problem (3.7.4RC2 thread or Mantis or filing an issue on github)?
Thanks in advance

Mauro

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
could someone please point me on how to report the problem (3.7.4RC2 thread or Mantis or filing an issue on github)?

A github issue is probably the preferred way of reporting issues at the moment.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...