Author Topic: Change in Sunglare  (Read 2450 times)

Change in Sunglare
Hey all.

Just wanted to question why the music was changed on one of the most gripping scenes from this series.

Indus before the sun before rescue.

Old:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5DNYXG5Qw0

Chills. Every time. From the opening. To the point where the Fedayeen shows up, to the point where they drop the "we were sent for her." This is masterfully laid out. Masterfully done. The tones literally grab you by your chest and rip your soul into the game to experience the full torrent of turmoil.

New:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q__JDrmEglQ

This is the epitome of "meh"

Piano is weak.  I can see why it was done, in order to make sound-room for the voice acting, and this is totally me armchair quarterbacking what I have seen [otherwise] as immaculate, masterfully done for this decade long labor of love.

The change to this scene left my feeling let down.

You can select from 5 tracks in Sunglare on techroom replays if you want to. The old track is one of the choices.

EDIT: Only for the credits cutscene though, the track that plays at the begging of the mission can't be changed that way(but you can always mod it out and replace it with the old track).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:41:26 am by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Just wanted to question why the music was changed on one of the most gripping scenes from this series.
[...]
I can see why it was done, in order to make sound-room for the voice acting
Seems like you answered your own question.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
The strings never quite matched the desperation following "Delenda Est", they build to much tension anticipation ... back when we did not know that WiH would continue with Laporte it was a dead give-away that she would go on and not die
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 06:05:38 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Darius

I agree Aqua Vitae is the superior song.

However the one that it was changed to is nice because it doesn't have any copyright baggage.

C'mon, man, you know that BP has a ton of copyright baggage anyway. Why compromise some of the best scenes in the entire campaign for the sake of half measures?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Has Anyone Other then me replaced Sunglare.ogg with the FS1/FSport menu Theme? It works amazingly well.  Just the right amount of emotion at the right time, Much sadder then the other two options.

But maybe that's just me.

-DefCynodont119
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

I honestly think the new track works much better. Aqua Vitae is a tad too heroic. The choral stuff in the new track is perfect for the Masyaf's rescue. I wouldn't say the piano is 'meh', it has a great sense of trepidation which fits the atmosphere of Sunglare better than Vitae's 'mounting heroism' did.

Offline -Norbert-

Has Anyone Other then me replaced Sunglare.ogg with the FS1/FSport menu Theme? It works amazingly well.  Just the right amount of emotion at the right time, Much sadder then the other two options.

But maybe that's just me.

-DefCynodont119
I didn't do that, but I replaced the music in Lucifer with "planetkillers". The point where the male voice starts even matches up with the explosion of the Orion pretty well, almost like the mission was made with that music originally.
I like the sad music with the very fitting title more for this scene than the serene and peaceful music it has by default.