Author Topic: 1.5x compression speed bug?  (Read 2020 times)

1.5x compression speed bug?
3.7.4 RC2, though this was in prior versions of FS2.

Intermittent bug, I have no idea what triggers this, possibly since I have a multiprocessor CPU but that shouldn't matter since I assume most people have one. Basically, if you crank time compression up to X4 or higher, and then drop it down to X1, the game still runs at a significantly higher speed. Before anyone asks, yes I was SURE it was reading X1 and the game engine still ran super fast. Weapons and enemy fighters move at  a blistering pace, far more than the relatively "normal" speed of combat, the only thing that seems to fix it is quitting the game completely and trying again. It carries over between missions and quitting to menu.

Has anyone ever run into this before? And is there an FPS limiter for the FS Open engine?

Re: 1.5x compression speed bug?
FPS should be limited to 120 by default. The only way to disable it should be by using the -no_fps_capping flag.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Messing with some options, set processor affinity to config value seems to be working. But I have no idea beyond that.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
FPS should be limited to 120 by default. The only way to disable it should be by using the -no_fps_capping flag.
Which you shouldn't do, by the way; it ****s things up and we don't officially support its use.

It carries over between missions and quitting to menu.
If you change missions without changing time compression, does it still run faster than normal?

Because time compression gets set to the same value regardless of whether or not it was set to anything else.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Yeah, it's still running fast. Last mission it was working fight "Love the Treason" and the next it was 1920s talkie speed.

The frustrating thing is it isn't CTD so I can't generate an error log. Last time I played with FPS on it showed it was capped at 50.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
The frustrating thing is it isn't CTD so I can't generate an error log.
Debug logs are generated every time a debug build is run, not just whenever it crashes. That being said, the effect being described doesn't seem physically possible; set_time_compression(1.0f) multiplies that 1.0f by 65536.0f, converts to a "fix" (an integer type) and then assigns the result to Game_time_compression. The starting value of Game_time_compression is 65536. I cannot imagine how this bug could be happening unless your computer either doesn't know how to multiply floating point numbers or doesn't know how to convert them to integers, in which case I'd expect there to be far more drastic effects than "time compression doesn't set right".
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 01:36:15 pm by AdmiralRalwood »
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Well, to start with, the debug log if you please.

Well, to start with, the debug log if you please.

Not sure how to do one of those table things, but here's the debug file.

Got the error reproducable on Vassago's Dirge during the mission where you have to use the Lemnos to shield an Aeolus from the Vassago and a bunch of fighers. The mission plays SO FAST even at X1 speed, it's not possible to complete it.

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 12:21:22 am by manwiththemachinegun »