Author Topic: Sudden Random Silly Thought (Beam Cannon Jamming)  (Read 3722 times)

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Sudden Random Silly Thought (Beam Cannon Jamming)
I was reading from other topics about how UEF beam jamming works but interfering with the magnetism of the system and was suddenly curious; What would happen if they waited for the moment the Tev ship was about to fire the beam or was firing...

...and them instead of just disrupting it, reversed the bottle's polarity (I.e. the direction of the magnetic effect)? :pimp:

(PS: Until further notice, I hereby dub this 'The Genji Manoeuvre'.)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 05:09:09 am by T-Man »
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
Re: Sudden Random Silly Thought (Beam Cannon Jamming)
That sounds risky because there's a chance it doesn't even work, so the beam will still fire at its intended target.
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The beam needs a bottle from emitter to target, but that's for confinement - the plasma still has kinetic energy.

Disrupting the bottle can move it or simply prevent the beam from firing (it would just fart plasma), but I don't think you could turn the beam around.

The beam needs a bottle from emitter to target, but that's for confinement - the plasma still has kinetic energy.

Disrupting the bottle can move it or simply prevent the beam from firing (it would just fart plasma), but I don't think you could turn the beam around.

Could you, in theory, direct the beam at another enemy ship?  Or is the deflection too unpredictable to pull that kind of hijinks?

Could you, in theory, direct the beam at another enemy ship?  Or is the deflection too unpredictable to pull that kind of hijinks?

Partly that, but also a question of power. Deflecting the beam at all from a remote location is extremely difficult. You have to fight the emitters local to the beam that are trying to put it on target. I suspect that the UEF is happy with bending them to anywhere-that-isn't-this-volume-of-space.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

Partly that, but also a question of power. Deflecting the beam at all from a remote location is extremely difficult. You have to fight the emitters local to the beam that are trying to put it on target. I suspect that the UEF is happy with bending them to anywhere-that-isn't-this-volume-of-space.

I agree that the amount of energy needed to significantly distort the magnetic field of the cannon would be massive
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Could you create an ultra strong counter bottle?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Even if UEF had the proper equipment to manipulate magnetic bottles of Tev beams, I really doubt that they could pull off a beam deflection based only on "bending" over the magnetic bottle. I think the problem is in energy generation aboard UEF vessels: while Tevs are using extremely-efficient Meson reactors to create a proper magnetic environment for the beam not to "fart plasma" in the first place, the UEF seems to use more conventional reactors. If they would have a beam-grade energy generation capabilities, they would surely be using some more powerful plasma weapons (some huge, fast, stronk "blobs" at least) instead of all that munition-based cannons (I know mass drivers of any kinds, or UX Accelerators are powerful, but those torpedoes are still easy to intercept)
And I think this is why UEF is always going for enemy targeting systems instead of pushing the shots over with brute force: they don't have the brute force needed to do that. So they just use very sophisticated, low-energy EWAR systems in order to negate enemy advantages.

The best way of disrupting enemy beam weapons, except going for targeting systems, would be in my opinion: puncturing a magnetic bottle in a proper place to direct at least some of the energy outside of it, or pushing away from a friendly vessel the end of the bottle, let's say about five degrees. That's not much, but looking at UEF's capships' target profile, that might help push the beam away from vurneable parts of vessel to more armored regions (or into space if it's possible) if it's going too close to the hull.

Or we take a capacitor, store about 1.5x the (momentary) kinetic energy of the plasma in it, and when an enemy warship is powering up it's beam, just in the moment when it's pushing the plasma out of the emitter, we unload that capacitor through a stinger-like magnetic field right into that emitter, attempting to push the plasma back. If the timing is correct and we manage to get an advantage in the term of kinetic force just for a split second, the plasma does not even have a chance to leave the emitter, being pushed back instead. Since beam emitters are very delicate, I suppose the pressure buildup inside it will break something, make an overload ect. And boom - there goes a chunk of enemy warship, and the beam isn't even fired, so we do not need so much energy as deflecting the beam would require.

BTW - in HFH every time I left the Carthage in one piece in order to give the UEF some intel on Tev beams and some Meson reactors ;)
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

I've always thought that beam cannons have safeguards that abort the firing sequence if the magnetic bottle is compromised.  You don't want to fling out massive amounts of plasma a ridiculous velocities if you're not sure where it's going.

Offline -Norbert-

That would make beam-jamming only more effective. A deflected or degraded beam can still cause damage. A beam that is shut off doesn't do any damage for sure.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Actually, you WANT to fling out massive amount of plasma at ridiculous velocities. Better that than keep it INSIDE the ship in an unstable state.

If anything, the safeties would be there to vent the unstable plasma when the conditions for a safe fire are not met. I wouldn't be surprised if beam misfires are part of the reason Tev pilots are trained to give a wide breath to their capships.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I wouldn't be surprised if beam misfires are part of the reason Tev pilots are trained to give a wide breath to their capships.

That and Tev gunners just dont care what is between the muzzle of the gun and the target
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art