Author Topic: GOG's summer sale: Free System Shock 2!  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
GOG's summer sale: Free System Shock 2!
Feel like all I do recently is make GOG topics, but their annual summer sale is up and running, with all of the requisite wallet-clutching that implies.  This time around they've added a bit of a Steam-esque XP system that can earn you free games for buying stuff and doing simple tasks around the site.  Plus for the first 48 hours, if you sign in via the Galaxy client, you can score a free copy of System Shock 2.  I already owned it myself, so if for whatever reason you want the game but don't want Galaxy, just PM me for the spare key.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Re: GOG's summer sale: Free System Shock 2!
Tempted to add that star wars "blaster pack" to the backlog of games to probably never actually play...

I'd actually play rouge squadron I'm sure.  But that wouldn't be new.  That's the game that wore out my N64 controller.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
My spoils:
Freespace 2
Strike Suit Zero: Director's Cut
Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis
Grim Fandango Remastered
Loom
The Dig
Outlaws + A Handful of Missions
Wings of Prey Special Edition

Thus unlocking all three free games, for once they were all stuff that more or less interested me.

I already have the Freespace 2 CDs but I bought it since I'm lazy and installing freespace open is a bit less convoluted with the GOG.com installer.

I was always curious about Strike Suit Zero, and I tried the demo of Wings of Prey some time ago and liked the arcade-y approach, Grim Fandango I bought quite obviously because running the original CD on win7 tends to be a nightmare, Outlaws because I wanted to try it and the others are all games that at the time I couldn't have legally.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 06:33:32 pm by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Thanks for the heads-up on Wings of Prey!  After I checked my Steam library to make sure I didn't already have it, I got it here.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I bought most of the Star Wars pack (cut out the RTS/railed shooters) and the Metro Redux games.  I think that should have got me all the freebies, but I didn't really pay attention.  When I first looked at what they were they didn't really interest me much.  Almost got FS1/2 at that price also for ease of install, but then reminded myself that would be a literal waste of money.  I have the CDs, and haven't even played either game in years.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'd picked up one or two random things earlier, but I think I went a bit hog-wild with my final overall purchase:

Shattered Steel
IL-2 Sturmokiv: 1946
Bloodrayne 1+2
Blood: One Unit Whole Blood
Alone in the Dark 1+2+3
Zork Anthology
Machinarium
Samorost 2
Carmageddon 1+2
The Dig
Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb
Star Trek: Starfleet Academy
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault

That should tide me over for the next 10 sales or so. :D

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I didn't see some of those in there.  Might go back and look at MoH.  Never played it, supposed to be one of the best shooters (of its time at least).  Wasn't that the one on Gamecube though?  Was it ported to PC, or am I remembering wrong?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I didn't see some of those in there.  Might go back and look at MoH.  Never played it, supposed to be one of the best shooters (of its time at least).  Wasn't that the one on Gamecube though?  Was it ported to PC, or am I remembering wrong?
Well, you could always look it up.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I got plenty of stuff as well. I still have my original SS2 copy installed but it doesn't seem to work properly on Windows 8.1. Hopefully the GOG release fixes this. I'll certainly want to check out Vampire Bloodlines (anything remotely like Deus Ex is a must play for me) and Dreamfall Chapters (have held off on it until the full game was done).

MOHAA was an excellent game for its time, but it has largely been copied and refined by many other games like the COD series.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I got plenty of stuff as well. I still have my original SS2 copy installed but it doesn't seem to work properly on Windows 8.1. Hopefully the GOG release fixes this. I'll certainly want to check out Vampire Bloodlines (anything remotely like Deus Ex is a must play for me) and Dreamfall Chapters (have held off on it until the full game was done).

MOHAA was an excellent game for its time, but it has largely been copied and refined by many other games like the COD series.

GOG is usually pretty good about making older games work with modern Windows OSes.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Even with an original SS2 install disc, making it run on modern operating systems has been fairly trivial for years. NewDark just made it even more trivial.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
and Dreamfall Chapters (have held off on it until the full game was done).
I got the freebie copy of Chapters, but is the original Dreamfall something worth playing?  I've seen nothing but lavish praise heaped on The Longest Journey, but reaction to Dreamfall seems far more mixed, so I've held off on it up to this point.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
and Dreamfall Chapters (have held off on it until the full game was done).
I got the freebie copy of Chapters, but is the original Dreamfall something worth playing?  I've seen nothing but lavish praise heaped on The Longest Journey, but reaction to Dreamfall seems far more mixed, so I've held off on it up to this point.
They are very plot-heavy games so worthy or not you must play the original Dreamfall anyway, I have the whole saga on gog.com thanks to the freebie but I haven't had the time to play beyond The Longest Journey, and sincerely I'm a bit scared to.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 08:42:17 am by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Dreamfall has some great moments, but the story has too many subplots that are underdeveloped and don't fit together well, with lots of things unexplained by the end (more than even FS2). You play as Zoe for most of the game; April's personality is completely different from the first game (with little justification given for it), and the third character is an afterthought who barely gets any play time. It's still fairly good overall and as said earlier, is worth playing just to see the continuation of the story.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Dreamfall feels, in many ways, like a prologue to Chapters. It's a good game, but it ends in a way that leaves much to be desired. Chapters just pick up right where it left off. Also, it was a rather bone-headed move on part of the devs to include combat and stealth sections into the game (although the former are, in most cases, avoidable). The bad reviews it gets are often due to that.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Dreamfall feels, in many ways, like a prologue to Chapters. It's a good game, but it ends in a way that leaves much to be desired. Chapters just pick up right where it left off. Also, it was a rather bone-headed move on part of the devs to include combat and stealth sections into the game (although the former are, in most cases, avoidable). The bad reviews it gets are often due to that.

They probably had to, it was the time when Lucasarts introduced that stupid keyboard-only control system and Broken Sword became a pseudo-platformer.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 07:47:53 pm by Det. Bullock »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, they learned from their mistakes, at least. :) Chapters have no combat and minimum (and rather forgiving) stealth sequences. They do get annoying, but less than in Dreamfall. You even get an achievement if you fail enough times. :)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Yes, stealth sequences (as well as quicktime events) were a fad in many adventure games around that time. I don't have a problem with that in itself, but these parts are usually poorly designed and lack any of the depth of actual stealth games. The only adventure game I've seen with a good minigame was Mission Critical, which had a space RTS game in it.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, there was the original Dune, which turned into an RTS in the later part of the game. :) But I agree, "action-y" elements are hard to do right in an adventure game. They often feel clumsy and usually present a frustrating change to what is otherwise a slow-paced, largely cerebral game. I prefer stealth and such being done with clever puzzles, like in classic adventurers.