Author Topic: Checkpoint system makes the mouse not work  (Read 3235 times)

Checkpoint system makes the mouse not work
After playing Darkest Hour (having an AAA beam instantly take out your sensor system entirely is not fun. Kinda makes it impossible to do anything until a support ship gets to you, and you have no idea how long it will be...), I died right near the end. I go to load the checkpoint...which, by the way, is kind of annoying, since it labels the "yes" and "no" as "1" and "2", but is actually selected with the *mouse*...and when I do, my mouse no longer works for controlling my ship. At all. I works perfectly fine when I open up the menus, but otherwise, my ship will not turn and my camera cannot be moved in such a way, either.

I tried restarting the mission and the game, but it's the same problem. And since there's no crashing or (seemingly) actual errors, I don't really know if a log file will help (correct me if I'm wrong, though).

---

Also, I couldn't help but notice that the flak guns on the GTC Aeolus in Mission 2 (with the Ranvir) fire at the "ALL the Dakka" rate, while the flak guns on the Deimos in Darkest Hour seem to fire at the Heavy Flak rate that I remember. Is that intentional?
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Re: Checkpoint system makes the mouse not work
i blame axem

(would not be at all surprised if that one aeolus has standard flak as a measure to teach the player that in BP the knives are out and flak will **** You Up)
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Not sure about the mouse thing, but
Also, I couldn't help but notice that the flak guns on the GTC Aeolus in Mission 2 (with the Ranvir) fire at the "ALL the Dakka" rate, while the flak guns on the Deimos in Darkest Hour seem to fire at the Heavy Flak rate that I remember. Is that intentional?
This makes sense since, as I remember the Aeolus has its default loadout and the Deimos has had its Standard Flak replaced with Heavy Flak. After all, you are supposed to evade the former and  fight the later.

They actually do the 'Heavy Flak' trick in a couple other places, IIRC.

i blame axem

(would not be at all surprised if that one aeolus has standard flak as a measure to teach the player that in BP the knives are out and flak will **** You Up)
They really don't need that; AA beams already **** you up in short order; being bathed in flak just takes it to absurd levels. Like, "Space Superiority Cruiser" levels.
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
After playing Darkest Hour (having an AAA beam instantly take out your sensor system entirely is not fun. Kinda makes it impossible to do anything until a support ship gets to you, and you have no idea how long it will be...), I died right near the end. I go to load the checkpoint...which, by the way, is kind of annoying, since it labels the "yes" and "no" as "1" and "2", but is actually selected with the *mouse*...and when I do, my mouse no longer works for controlling my ship. At all. I works perfectly fine when I open up the menus, but otherwise, my ship will not turn and my camera cannot be moved in such a way, either.
Are you using a 3.7.5 nightly build? Some things related to the mouse cursor and the Lua interface have changed and there needs to be an update to Axem's prompt box script (which is what is used by BP for selecting checkpoints).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Axem

Hi guys, yeah its my bad on this. I thought I had updated the script but I didn't and no one told me it was still broken so...

Yeah, gimme a bit to actually really fix it.

For real.

(Maybe)

Are you using a 3.7.5 nightly build? Some things related to the mouse cursor and the Lua interface have changed and there needs to be an update to Axem's prompt box script (which is what is used by BP for selecting checkpoints).
No, I'm not using a nightly build. Should I be? Would that fix it?
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
No. If you're not using a nightly build, that means there's a bug present even in 3.7.4 related to this (but don't expect a hotfix for it).

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Okay, an update: the problem remains even when playing an individual mission (and a different one) in the tech room; also, it carried over to other campaigns; WiH2 has the same problem now. Age of Aquarius does not have the issue, however. Neither does FS2 Blue.

I found that I AM able to maneuver my ship by using the number pad. Also, when I go to rebind my mouse in the controls, it doesn't register--I move the mouse when binding the control, and nothing happens (whereas before, moving the mouse in one axis would bind the control).

A question: I note that changes I've made to my control bindings do not carry/have not carried over between campaigns. Is that normal?
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Offline Axem

Can you put this file in your BP Complete/data/tables and tell me if it changes any odd behavior?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
A question: I note that changes I've made to my control bindings do not carry/have not carried over between campaigns. Is that normal?
Only if you're using different pilots for each campaign; if you use the same pilot, it should have the same controls (because they're saved in the .PLR file).

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Can you put this file in your BP Complete/data/tables and tell me if it changes any odd behavior?
As far as I can tell, it didn't change anything. Still the same mouse problem, as well as the binding problem.

Only if you're using different pilots for each campaign; if you use the same pilot, it should have the same controls (because they're saved in the .PLR file).
Okay, so the fact that I had/have this problem despite using the same profile means...?
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Okay, so the fact that I had/have this problem despite using the same profile means...?
Oh right, I forgot; for reasons unknown, controls are also stored in every .CSG file. Which (I think) means your keybinds are shared if you set them all before playing any campaigns. :P

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline Axem

Oh, the other thing that comes to mind is check the options/F2 screen to see if the mouse got turned off. The prompt box attempts to turn off the mouse control temporarily while the screen is active. It should be switching it back on when its done, but there may be an instance where it forgets to do that due to some unforeseen circumstance.

Oh, the other thing that comes to mind is check the options/F2 screen to see if the mouse got turned off. The prompt box attempts to turn off the mouse control temporarily while the screen is active. It should be switching it back on when its done, but there may be an instance where it forgets to do that due to some unforeseen circumstance.
Huh, that actually worked. Thanks!
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)