Author Topic: Tie Fighter?  (Read 3550 times)

One of my favorite games besides the FS series was Tie Fighter.  This may have been discussed before but, is there a way to possibly port that whole thing over to this engine? Have there been any efforts to re-create that great game as well?  Maybe there's a project already that's been done that I'm unaware of? 

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
There is a total conversion mod by the name of Fate of the Galaxy that is set in the Star Wars universe.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Additionally, someone was working on a project to parse TIE Fighter missions and at least partially convert them (automatically) into .fs2 missions to be used with FSO; I don't recall if anything was ever released from that, though.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
That was me, and I haven't released anything yet.  I can convert the 1st battle 1st mission to FSO format and it's playable, but not all the ships have the correct orders yet. I'll get back to this one day :)  (I need to find a good balance between automatically converting everything & requiring a FREDer to tweak/update the missions)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Would be sweet to play the original game on this new engine!  I wish I knew enough to help.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
(I need to find a good balance between automatically converting everything & requiring a FREDer to tweak/update the missions)

Eh?  Tweaking/updating is probably going to be required regardless, but I don't think you'd gain anything by requiring any sort of manual conversion.  Convert everything automatically and then the FREDder can adjust it as needed.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I wasn't thinking of requiring manual conversion, it was more about how to translate all the TIE fighter orders into FSO orders, where there's a lot of TIE fighter orders with no direct equivalent in FSO (e.g. attack ship class X, and there's more than 5 wings of that ship class in the mission, and anyway FSO processes ai-chase goals in order, which could result in ships attacking targets WAAAAAY over there rather than the ships closest to them).  I mean, it's possible to script the TIE fighter order behaviours so should I make the conversion call scripts, or should I instead expect a FREDer to use other events & orders to recreate the overall effect of the TIE fighter orders? (or I could try to implement all the TIE orders in the FSO AI...)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Hmm.  My first impression is that it shouldn't be hard to implement "Attack Ship Class X" in FSO; it would probably be similar to ai-chase or ai-chase-any except with a filter.  The ai-chase-any already filters by IFF anyway.

How many TIE orders would need to be implemented?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
* niffiwan fires up TFW

There's around 40 orders, with some duplicates, and others which are implemented in FSO.  On the other hand, the "attack target" order has several parameters without a direct equivalent in FSO, like ship type, ship category & ship orders. I'd need to run some more analysis on all the missions to figure out exactly which orders are used across the entire 13 battles.
----
----

Offline -Norbert-

That sounds like something that'd be incredibly useful (or at least more intuitive and easier to use) outside of a TIE fighter conversion too.

For example it oculd be used to tell interceptors to target a specific bomber class over another, by giving attack orders against all present bomber types, but with different priorities.

And should the comm menu ever be overworked, such an option as "attack my target's class" would make a fine addition too.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I took a look at the code.  Adding an "attack ship class" order would be a little annoying, since there are several layers of code that the goal passes through and it would be necessary to modify all of them.  But it is really not a terribly complex problem.  I'll code it up (in a few days) and submit a PR.

Could you not just script that?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

They're working on a tool that'll translate the mission from TIE's format into FSO's format. Somewhat moot if somebody has to go in and hand roll every instance of "attack ship class."
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class

They're working on a tool that'll translate the mission from TIE's format into FSO's format. Somewhat moot if somebody has to go in and hand roll every instance of "attack ship class."

Except that you wouldn't have to hand roll everything with a script. It's a bit touch & go as to whether it's easier to do in a script or in FSO itself, off hand I'd say that the scripting is easier upfront, but harder to maintain. And as Norbert pointed out, this is a feature that could be more generally useful to FREDers for any campaign.
----
----

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ok, ai-chase-ship-class has been implemented in PR #939.  The vast majority of the work went into the infrastructure as opposed to the goal behavior proper.

I've tested the goal in a sample mission with a bunch of cargo containers; it works splendidly.  I still need to test it in FRED (due to encountering the OpenGL bug) and I'll need someone to take a look at the Lua hook.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
After rebasing on latest master and fixing a few bugs, I've been able to test it on FRED.  The only remaining untested aspect is getting and setting orders via Lua.  Here are some builds:
http://staff.hard-light.net/goober5000/temp/ai_chase_ship_class.7z