Author Topic: Interplay IP being sold (including Freespace)  (Read 31256 times)

Offline Zeether

Interplay IP being sold (including Freespace)
https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2016/09/07/870242/10165014/en/Interplay-Announces-Sale-of-Significant-IP-Portfolio-Wedbush-Securities-as-Strategic-Advisor.html

"Leading video game software developer" is a bit hypocritical...but it seems they're closing up shop and the IPs are going up for sale. Descent and Freespace are on the block.

I'd assume Deep Silver/Volition would be snapping up FS, and I'd love to see Descent go to Revival Studios (the guys making Overload) so then maybe they can make Overload a new Descent.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: Interplay IP being sold (including Freespace)
I hope they make Johnny gat an admiral..
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline ChaosUnlimited

• old games new people bring it.
PC Specs
AMD-FX 6100 six core 3.3Ghz
EVGA 660 SC 2Gb gddr5
16Gb RAM 1600Mhz
750W PSU
total cost $580

Offline Annorax

• Wistful General
    • Steam
Last time the Freespace IP sold, it went for $5000. This sounds like we might be able to email the guy who's handling this & possibly Kickstart an effort to buy the rights & make a canon FS3 right here.

Hell, if I were to flip certain collectibles I've had in my possession since I was 13, I could generate that kind of cash and just make an offer. If the rights were to end up with someone here, the things the SCP crew and the campaign designers here could do would be almost unlimited. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 05:18:55 pm by Annorax »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Oh no.. not this again.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline ChaosUnlimited

would be really interesting to see a canon  freespace 3 game with updated graphics (this game even with all the overhauls still looks really dated)

PC Specs
EVGA 660 SC 2Gb gddr5
16Gb RAM 1600Mhz
750W PSU
total cost $580

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I don't believe the FS community at large is interested in making a "Canon FS3", as it would mean that all of the well-created campaigns and projects would suddenly become non-cannon.  Worse, if some individual decided to buy the rights for themselves and create (or fund) their own sequel, it could sour everyone on the franchise.

The only reason I could see acquiring the rights as a good thing, is to prevent someone worse from getting their hands on it, like that Derek Smart guy, or perhaps to sell brand new copies of the original game.  :)
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Annorax

• Wistful General
    • Steam
I don't believe the FS community at large is interested in making a "Canon FS3", as it would mean that all of the well-created campaigns and projects would suddenly become non-cannon.  Worse, if some individual decided to buy the rights for themselves and create (or fund) their own sequel, it could sour everyone on the franchise.

The only reason I could see acquiring the rights as a good thing, is to prevent someone worse from getting their hands on it, like that Derek Smart guy, or perhaps to sell brand new copies of the original game.  :)

If they're willing to accept the 2-3k I could drum up, I could at least make sure that current projects here would never run into problems with rightsholders, and Derek Smart could be told to get ****ed anytime he wants to make another run at us. Getting cuts of the Steam and GOG sales would be really nice as well, since most of that would be able to be funneled into things like paid voice talent for campaigns.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
would be really interesting to see a canon  freespace 3 game with updated graphics (this game even with all the overhauls still looks really dated)

You're kidding, right? Name me one game other than Elite or Star Citizen that could possibly look better than FSO right now. The only thing that might look "dated" is the the nebula environment. A "canon freespace 3 game with updated graphics" really wouldn't look much different than what we have now. Blue Planet is probably the closest thing FS3 would come to right now in both story and fidelity.

Those of us that have been with the game since it came out don't really want FreeSpace 3 anymore, especially with Blue Planet for the continued story. Any FreeSpace game not made by Volition wouldn't be the same, and it would throw out everything the community has created, much like Disney's wiping of the EU for Star Wars.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'm not at all interested I buying the licence to FS in order to make FS3.

Buying it in order to remove any restrictions on the SCP on the other hand.....
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline ChaosUnlimited

You're kidding, right? Name me one game other than Elite or Star Citizen that could possibly look better than FSO right now. The only thing that might look "dated" is the the nebula environment. A "canon freespace 3 game with updated graphics" really wouldn't look much different than what we have now. Blue Planet is probably the closest thing FS3 would come to right now in both story and fidelity.

Those of us that have been with the game since it came out don't really want FreeSpace 3 anymore, especially with Blue Planet for the continued story. Any FreeSpace game not made by Volition wouldn't be the same, and it would throw out everything the community has created, much like Disney's wiping of the EU for Star Wars.

besides those games i can use plently that look better but they arn't space games and don't really apply. 

this game's graphics are dated they look like 2009 to me at 1080p. though to be honest i think the thing that throws me off the most is not having a cockpit i hate the view for this game. (the story makes up for it though) also until we get an updated graphics api (vulkan or  dx12 or even opengl 4) though i hope vulkan is getting worked on seeing it in play with doom was awesome.  the game's graphics will always be dated the older api's can't do what the newer ones can (most of the time). also i just used freespace 3 as a example if someone from this community bought the rights they could make all the mods cannon, the ones that are possible to be cannon anyhow. getting rid of the restrictions another good reason, would most likely be the main reason why someone would be the rights at this point.    sorry about my English while it is my main language i have issues with it still.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 06:49:36 pm by ChaosUnlimited »
PC Specs
EVGA 660 SC 2Gb gddr5
16Gb RAM 1600Mhz
750W PSU
total cost $580

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
You don't NEED super-awesome-high-definition-Vulcan graphics. That is one thing I'll never understand... the need for the bleeding-edge graphics when what is there is just fine, especially when it's a constant work-in-progress. Plus, there's actually a reason why DirectX was dropped in the first place. It's not happening.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I'm not at all interested I buying the licence to FS in order to make FS3.

Buying it in order to remove any restrictions on the SCP on the other hand.....
Very much this.

this game's graphics are dated they look like 2009 to me at 1080p. though to be honest i think the thing that throws me off the most is not having a cockpit i hate the view for this game. (the story makes up for it though)
You know you can add cockpits, right?

also until we get an updated graphics api (vulkan or  dx12 or even opengl 4) though i hope vulkan is getting worked on seeing it in play with doom was awesome.  the game's graphics will always be dated the older api's can't do what the newer ones can (most of the time).
You clearly have no idea how graphics programming works.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline ChaosUnlimited

You don't NEED super-awesome-high-definition-Vulcan graphics. That is one thing I'll never understand... the need for the bleeding-edge graphics when what is there is just fine, especially when it's a constant work-in-progress. Plus, there's actually a reason why DirectX was dropped in the first place. It's not happening.

i know dx was dropped  for a reason i put in dx12 as an example heck i even put in opengl 4 which is not as new. and i was just saying that the graphics will look outdated without them(mostly) also i said the thing that throws me off the most is havning no cockpit view or a decent 3rd person view (though 3rd person i wouldn't want anyhow)

its hard for me to explain my reason's but its not just the api's that make the game look outdated. its also all the low poly models and low res texures.
i think pbr was recently put in but again i don't think many people have made use of it yet.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 07:05:01 pm by ChaosUnlimited »
PC Specs
EVGA 660 SC 2Gb gddr5
16Gb RAM 1600Mhz
750W PSU
total cost $580

Offline ChaosUnlimited

also until we get an updated graphics api (vulkan or  dx12 or even openly 4) though i hope vulkan is getting worked on seeing it in play with doom was awesome.  the game's graphics will always be dated the older api's can't do what the newer ones can (most of the time).
You clearly have no idea how graphics programming works.
[/quote]

no but i hopefully will have an idea sometime next year as my classes will  be touching upon them. but i do know that its better to go with newer api than forcing an older one to do what the newer one does(i most likely worded this wrong).

also where are these cockpit you say i can add i haven't found any. would make playing much better.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 07:04:25 pm by ChaosUnlimited »
PC Specs
EVGA 660 SC 2Gb gddr5
16Gb RAM 1600Mhz
750W PSU
total cost $580

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
i know dx was dropped again it was put in as an example. and i was just saying that the graphics will look outdated without them (mostly) also i said the thing that throws me off the most is havning no cockpit view or a decent 3rd person view (though 3rd person i wouldn't want anyhow)

As Ralwood stated, there are mods for (generic) cockpit views with gauges.

its hard for me to explain my reason's but its not just the api's that make the game look outdated. its also all the low poly models and low res texures.
i think pbr was recently put in but again i don't think many people have made use of it yet.

PBR was very recently put in, so recently that there's only a couple of ships that use them. Also, "all" the low-poly models? We don't want something that only people with super-1337 computers can run satisfactorily. There's more to creating game art than greebling the **** out of a too-thick cable. You obviously haven't played Blue Planet or Diaspora. Go ahead and say they're all low-poly then.

Offline ChaosUnlimited

PBR was very recently put in, so recently that there's only a couple of ships that use them. Also, "all" the low-poly models? We don't want something that only people with super-1337 computers can run satisfactorily. There's more to creating game art than greebling the **** out of a too-thick cable. You obviously haven't played Blue Planet or Diaspora. Go ahead and say they're all low-poly then.

ok i think your taking my high poly models to a little extreme u only need a beast if you want Star citizen style high poly which is really really high i think like 400k polys for one of the big ships. i mean what we have now is extremely low poly where people with $20 to $60 graphics card can run no prob. (i have tested with a gts 430 runs like a charm)

look at my specs in my sig nothing to brag about cost next to nothing for this type of rig with OLD hardware (atleast older than 3-5years anyhow might be wrong at the 5 year mark though)

also i think your getting way to defensive over really nothing i love the game just think the graphics could use more work i wish i could help in that department but i don't enjoy making textures or 3d models. and i'm just learning how to program and its really hard so i woudn't be helpful in that department either.

also i have played blue planet was awesome one of the best mods there is but yes some ships (when i played) where still low poly not extremly low but noticeable.

didn't really enjoy diaspara so can't say i gave it a second look.

also unless it was done this engine/game still runs in 32-bit which is why most of these ships get low poly or textures not because people need beast machines. (i know linux CAN build it in 64-bit but windows can't (unless u want to use cmake build last i heard)

wow i used also a lot would still love a link to the cockpit mods as i still can't seems to find them.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 07:23:37 pm by ChaosUnlimited »
PC Specs
EVGA 660 SC 2Gb gddr5
16Gb RAM 1600Mhz
750W PSU
total cost $580

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Some ships being low poly has absolutely nothing to do with the game engine.
It has to do with the said ship not being built with more polies, because, frankly, it's not worth the effort to make them higher poly most of the time.

That's not going to change.

Cockpits do not make the game any better. It makes the game considerably worse. They obstruct field of vision.
Remove visible cockpits.
For the love of god do not go down the Star Citizen road of "immersion".
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline ChaosUnlimited

Some ships being low poly has absolutely nothing to do with the game engine.
It has to do with the said ship not being built with more polies, because, frankly, it's not worth the effort to make them higher poly most of the time.

That's not going to change.

Cockpits do not make the game any better. It makes the game considerably worse. They obstruct field of vision.
Remove cockpits.

and i think that kinda sucks as i think everything should eventually get a higher poly version or better textures but again nothing i really can do but hope and dream

cockpit's in my op make the game feel better  and i enjoy star citizen's cockpits... though mechwarrior 3 had best cockpit view ever even for a game that is not a space game.... and came out in 1995

anyhow my redownload to see if downloading everything fresh and updated will change my mind i havn't played in a while so  maybe i'm just remembering outdated stuff that actaully got updates

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 07:39:14 pm by ChaosUnlimited »
PC Specs
EVGA 660 SC 2Gb gddr5
16Gb RAM 1600Mhz
750W PSU
total cost $580

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Remove visible cockpits.
For the love of god do not go down the Star Citizen road of "immersion".

I generally don't like cockpits, however there's two solid reasons to have them, head-tracking & VR, and given we already support the 1st then a case can be made for well designed cockpits, e.g. Diaspora style
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...