Author Topic: Interplay IP being sold (including Freespace)  (Read 31222 times)

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Re: Interplay IP being sold (including Freespace)
also i think your getting way to defensive over really nothing i love the game just think the graphics could use more work i wish i could help in that department but i don't enjoy making textures or 3d models. and i'm just learning how to program and its really hard so i woudn't be helpful in that department either.

I'm not getting defensive. You're obsessed with having tens or hundreds of thousands of polygons PER MISSION because newer engines can probably do it. I mean, what's several gigabytes of extra RAM needed to play, right? It's not enough that the limits were bumped up years ago and we're to the point now that non x64 builds literally quit with insufficient RAM messages while playing Blue Planet or anything.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Luis Dias

I'm not at all interested I buying the licence to FS in order to make FS3.

Buying it in order to remove any restrictions on the SCP on the other hand.....

Seconded, also, would it pertain to the remaining rights, therefore making it possible to open source the entire game?

Now that would be really really awesome.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
I'm curious how this will affect Descent Underground actually
Then again, I also wonder if Descendant would pick up the IP for themselves now that they can

But damn, this is like a dream almost coming true. Imagine if Deep Silver actually decides to pick up Freespace! ****, I should start emailing them right now "HEY GET THIS DAMMIT"
"No"

Offline ChaosUnlimited

• old games new people bring it.
also i think your getting way to defensive over really nothing i love the game just think the graphics could use more work i wish i could help in that department but i don't enjoy making textures or 3d models. and i'm just learning how to program and its really hard so i woudn't be helpful in that department either.

I'm not getting defensive. You're obsessed with having tens or hundreds of thousands of polygons PER MISSION because newer engines can probably do it. I mean, what's several gigabytes of extra RAM needed to play, right?

wait how am i obsessed over have higher poly models.... i started this conversation with wanting a 3rd updated graphics game more as in the newer api and then it went on to the current one because u disagreed with wanting a 3rd game and then u attacked me wanting vulkan or dx12 or even opengl 4, because u think opengl 3 is good enough and then i stated that opengl was not able to do what vulkan or dx12  and possibly even opengl 4.
than it went to the higher poly models and textures. and i really only when that route because that is  really the only way to increase graphics with the older api's from what little knowlege i have. which is not much.

more can be said but this conversation frustrates me  as i can't really get my point across in text format now if we actually talked maybe i could but i have difficulties explaining things and the way i think so how about we just agree to disagree hmm.
PC Specs
AMD-FX 6100 six core 3.3Ghz
EVGA 660 SC 2Gb gddr5
16Gb RAM 1600Mhz
750W PSU
total cost $580

Offline ChaosUnlimited

I'm not at all interested I buying the licence to FS in order to make FS3.

Seconded, also, would it pertain to the remaining rights, therefore making it possible to open source the entire game?

Now that would be really really awesome.

i do believe if you buy the rights u get all rights even the one that would allow expansion of the open source policy as you now own the game/rights

heck i would do it just so that i could build a game with an entirly new engine either built from scratch or from another engine like unity or unreal.
though that is way out of my leguege 1 because i don't have that kinda doeh secound because i only know how to make simple windows in java and simple console applications in c++ (simple as in text adventure type stuff the non advanced kind )
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 08:03:22 pm by ChaosUnlimited »
PC Specs
EVGA 660 SC 2Gb gddr5
16Gb RAM 1600Mhz
750W PSU
total cost $580

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Nobody "attacked" you. If you take pointing out the fallacy of your arguments as attacks, you're not going to last long against the people that actually work on this project and have many years of experience. Your posts have been primarily MOAR POLIES PLZ. That's not how it works. You want a sequel with an all-powerful engine that really wouldn't show much more than what the current engine does now.

Also, double posts are unnecessary. You can add more than one quote to a reply.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 08:07:46 pm by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline ChaosUnlimited

Nobody "attacked" you. If you take pointing out the fallacy of your arguments as attacks, you're not going to last long against the people that actually work on this project and have many years of experience. Your posts have been primarily MOAR POLIES PLZ. That's not how it works.

Also, double posts are unnecessary. You can add more than one quote to a reply.

fine you disagree not attacked.

also good to know i havn't managed to master the forumns as i am barely on them. generally just to check the test builds to see what they are implementing for new features and such i don't usually post because my typing skills are not even average.

also another reason why i think vulkan would be awesome to have is its faster than opengl on some hardware configs(mostly amd) dunno if it would be faster for this game/engine but you won't know till you try
PC Specs
EVGA 660 SC 2Gb gddr5
16Gb RAM 1600Mhz
750W PSU
total cost $580

Personally I could support a Kickstart fund raiser to purchase FS IP so as to not run into problems in the future. Also I think the game looks fine but I would love to see multiplayer coop campaigns added down the road. Once HLP owns it another Kickstarter could be done to generate some funds so the right people could spend some quality time making the improvements.

Last time the Freespace IP sold, it went for $5000. This sounds like we might be able to email the guy who's handling this & possibly Kickstart an effort to buy the rights & make a canon FS3 right here.

This myth really needs to die. What Interplay bought (for $7500, in fact) was Volition's remaining share of the residuals, i.e. their right to a portion of the revenue from future Freespace sales. Interplay always owned the Freespace IP, which is worth considerably more, which is why they were able to put it on GOG long before they bought those rights; they were merely consolidating the last little bit of it. Those residuals were of no use to anyone else on the planet, HLP included, so no we can't just chip in a few bob each and buy Freespace back.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 08:23:21 pm by Phantom Hoover »
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

:v: are pretty tied down right now with a new game coming out, but space games are pretty big right now so I guess DS could buy it for their next project...
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Snarks

This. How valuable is this?

Offline ChaosUnlimited

i would attempt to support a kickstarter if one were put up don't have a income atm.

about to replay blue planet waiting on the enhanced graphics to finish downloading from the installer taking a really long time not even getting near dl speed (been running since before i started this discussion)

any other mods that go with blue planet ???
PC Specs
EVGA 660 SC 2Gb gddr5
16Gb RAM 1600Mhz
750W PSU
total cost $580

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
Revival Productions or :v: could buy it
Stuff

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Here are a couple of links regarding cockpits:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=84459.0
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=71151.0

I used to enjoy a cockpit view in games such as Crimson Skies and MechWarrior 3, but i have found that I don't use them as much any more when there is the option to turn them off.  I just prefer to see more, especially on the lower third of the screen.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It's interesting that Fallout is not on the list. That IP and the licensing fees it generates must be the only thing keeping Interplay alive these days.

Offline Rhys

Last time the Freespace IP sold, it went for $5000. This sounds like we might be able to email the guy who's handling this & possibly Kickstart an effort to buy the rights & make a canon FS3 right here.

This myth really needs to die. What Interplay bought (for $7500, in fact) was Volition's remaining share of the residuals, i.e. their right to a portion of the revenue from future Freespace sales. Interplay always owned the Freespace IP, which is worth considerably more, which is why they were able to put it on GOG long before they bought those rights; they were merely consolidating the last little bit of it. Those residuals were of no use to anyone else on the planet, HLP included, so no we can't just chip in a few bob each and buy Freespace back.

In that case, I think the best we can hope for at this point is if the eventual buyer recognizes that most of the profits made from the IP are a result of the game's modding community. This kind of happened with Falcon 4.0 BMS, where the original IP was sold off and the new owner came to an agreement with the sim's modding community allowing them to continue development at the cost of adding a company logo in the splash screen. I don't see how something like that couldn't be worked out in this case.

Though I suppose it might be worth mentioning that the SCP is open source, while BMS is not. I'm not well versed in copyright laws and such, but I can foresee there being some issues in that regard.

Oh well. At least DS won't be getting his hands on it.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
It's interesting that Fallout is not on the list. That IP and the licensing fees it generates must be the only thing keeping Interplay alive these days.
Interplay hasn't owned Fallout in years.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Anyone know how to get CD Projekt Red (makers of Witcher III and GoodOldGames) involved? If they owned the IP to these properties... Well, just look at what Bethesda did with Fallout.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

In that case, I think the best we can hope for at this point is if the eventual buyer recognizes that most of the profits made from the IP are a result of the game's modding community. This kind of happened with Falcon 4.0 BMS, where the original IP was sold off and the new owner came to an agreement with the sim's modding community allowing them to continue development at the cost of adding a company logo in the splash screen. I don't see how something like that couldn't be worked out in this case.

Though I suppose it might be worth mentioning that the SCP is open source, while BMS is not. I'm not well versed in copyright laws and such, but I can foresee there being some issues in that regard.

I'd bet the IP covers the story, characters, events, etc. and not necessarily the engine. My guess is that the biggest "worry" would be that some new IP owner would pop in and say we couldn't make FreeSpace related campaigns/missions/cutscenes/models/whatever anymore. But then that might be sticky ground legally given how FRED was released with the original game. Though, I'm not sure what the legal jargon involved would be.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr

I'd bet the IP covers the story, characters, events, etc. and not necessarily the engine. My guess is that the biggest "worry" would be that some new IP owner would pop in and say we couldn't make FreeSpace related campaigns/missions/cutscenes/models/whatever anymore. But then that might be sticky ground legally given how FRED was released with the original game. Though, I'm not sure what the legal jargon involved would be.

I think we are safe regard whoever gets the IP, since there's no (to my knowledge) legal precedent to a released source code being retracted after so long by a new owner. 
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim