Author Topic: Interplay IP being sold (including Freespace)  (Read 31336 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Interplay IP being sold (including Freespace)
Buying it in order to remove any restrictions on the SCP on the other hand.....

This. How valuable is this?

For one thing, it would allow us to release the engine under a proper open source license, which is a prerequisite to get it listed in various Linux distros default repositories. It would also allow us to properly use code released under GPL (something we cannot currently do), which would make a few features possible that we can't currently support (like, for example, h264 support for videos).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

This. How valuable is this?

For one thing, it would allow us to release the engine under a proper open source license, which is a prerequisite to get it listed in various Linux distros default repositories. It would also allow us to properly use code released under GPL (something we cannot currently do), which would make a few features possible that we can't currently support (like, for example, h264 support for videos).

OK. Here's my $7. I've been saving for this for years. :)
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
which would make a few features possible that we can't currently support (like, for example, h264 support for videos).
Last I heard, licensing wasn't a problem with that branch anymore.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline m!m

which would make a few features possible that we can't currently support (like, for example, h264 support for videos).
Last I heard, licensing wasn't a problem with that branch anymore.
The LGPL version of FFmpeg is sufficient for the new cutscene player but it requires custom built binaries which is the only thing that is still an issue with that branch. There are pre-built binaries but those use the GPL license so we can't use them. If we could release the source code under GPL (which would also cause a lot of legal trouble) we could simplify a lot of things.

Are we sure that the IP actually includes the source code? As far as I know that is still owned by Volition (according to the copyright statement in the source code).

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
This is hardly suprising considering how little new, functioning buisness Interplay has had in recent years, not including the legal costs after going head-to-head with Bethesda (see below)...

But on the other hand, I cannot help but wonder if this will acctually produce results; the values of the IP can and might still be misjudged to either end. (Considering this forum, we might just overstate the value of the Freespace IP a bit)

It's interesting that Fallout is not on the list. That IP and the licensing fees it generates must be the only thing keeping Interplay alive these days.
Interplay hasn't owned Fallout in years.

Interplay used to have control of the IP up until a legal battle with Bethesda starting around the release of Fallout 3, when Interplay re-released the original two games as well as Fallout: Tactics as retail bundle called "Fallout Trilogy" is most regions. Which then lead the accusation of misleading advertisement and breach of contract by Bethesda. As part of the settlement the IP went 100% to Bethesda.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm actually not sure anymore. Depends on what exactly :V:'s deliverables were, I suppose.

Offline ViRGE

I'm not at all interested I buying the licence to FS in order to make FS3.

This. The whole thing would be a long shot to begin with, but getting control of Freespace to actually make it free to clear up all legal issues once and for all is a meaningful goal. I don't really expect that there's anyone who would screw with the SCP at this point, but there are definitely risks if someone more proactive got the IP.

(And then maybe, maybe once day it can be licensed out to a studio to do a proper FS3.)

Offline Luis Dias

Forget FS3. If I had lottery money, I'd definitely buy the licence just to ensure there would be no FS3. Then I'd hire a bunch of people to do two things and two things only: Improve the engine and all the assets and the other thing, improve all the tools for more intuitive and snappy modding. And at the end, either sell the result as a "remaster" (like Homeworld), or better yet, just give it all out (after a good marketing stunt to get it as wide as possible).

IOW, the outlandish fantasy scenario does not include a studio publishing some idiotic sequel that will most assuredly disappoint in almost every level (story-wise, interface-wise, gameplay-wise, etc.) and basically burn out any outside interest in the series (just look at what the ending of Mass Effect 3 did to its community).

No, it would include the exact opposite: the groundwork for better modding, greater and better stories, interesting gameplay, etc. IOW, something that would improve the community.

But as far as I can tell, the price is nowhere near the "thousands of dollars" that some people brough up. It's way more. So it will probably be bought as a package by some big studio. Which will sit on top of it until some fan developer within it may convince the top suits to do "something" about it. And when that time comes, just hope it's not something stupid. Like FreeSpace 3.

The absolute best thing we could do with the license, without a doubt, would simply be to start distributing FSO as an all-in-one install.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Couldn't we even completely replace retail assets at that point? Maybe even offer them as a classic mod instead of the newer higher quality assets being the mod?
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Couldn't we even completely replace retail assets at that point? Maybe even offer them as a classic mod instead of the newer higher quality assets being the mod?

Um.. what's the difference?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Luis Dias

Ease of access to the big crowd out there, I guess. You just click "Install" and when you double click the game's icon, not only it's the new launcher by default, it's the mediavps2020 by default.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I think Homeworld Remastered is kind of the gold standard for how to do this.

Offline Luis Dias

Yeah wouldn't mind that.

Except there's a problem there.

Current FSO version and mediavps2014 is probably better than anything today's studios could come up with. Not because they couldn't, but because they wouldn't.

Hello everyone,

I reached out to the seller of the IP and was informed that they are selling them in bulk only. http://imgur.com/a/6Zemd

I also received a pdf with the details of the sale that i cant attach as it is too large. If you are interested in seeing it i can upload it to google drive.

Edit: I have uploaded the PDF to Google Drive. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx7rn7kEXNCaYm11VzB0Y3FkZmc/view?usp=sharing

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 01:30:23 pm by Kinslayer »

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
If this is legit, then  :v: need to get all over this. Shame the Descent IP is in a different bundle if I am interpreting this right!
I do not feel... I think!

I think the sale is legit. I can reply back to the email and say that i am still interested to get an idea on the bidding process.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Kinslayer, please email and find out. I will be very interested in pitching substantially into this.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Okay, this is the third thread on this topic. Time for some merging.

Alright i will reply to the email and will post when I receive new information.