Author Topic: Interplay IP being sold (including Freespace)  (Read 31254 times)

Offline Axem

Re: Interplay IP being sold (including Freespace)
I'm going to buy the rights and JAD will become ultra-canon. :)

Or is that ultra-cannon? :-P
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline CT27

I don't think just because BP is so great (and I do like it though I don't find it perfect) that I wouldn't want to see Volition try to make FS3 if they could.  They'd give it their best effort.  Just because something is so good and may even be the pinnacle of its genre doesn't mean further projects in that vein should be forbidden.

Like others, I would be wary about some average joe buying this and making a campaign and declaring it FS3; but I'd be willing to give Volition a chance. 

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Has there been any news regarding the bidding process yet?
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline CT27

I did think of one possibility:

If "we" (the community here through a kickstarter or pooling of resources or whatever) "bought" these rights, could we retcon Silent Threat and declare Silent Threat:  Reborn canon?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
No.

Whatever FS3 Volition might make would be nothing like BP, I don't even know why they're seen as mutually exclusive. BP's narrative aims are very different from the canonical stories.

Offline CT27

I've heard this name brought up in this thread and elsewhere but don't know much about him:

Who exactly is this "Derek Smart" and why is he bad and why would it be bad if he got the rights to FS (to make FS3)? 

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

If "we" (the community here through a kickstarter or pooling of resources or whatever) "bought" these rights, could we retcon Silent Threat and declare Silent Threat:  Reborn canon?

Now I definitely could get behind that idea.

Now the big question is how much the IP is going for and what is in the bundle? Yeah, the bundle is probably too expensive for us to buy on our own, but there are other (maybe even larger) communities we could partner with. If we got enough money we'd just split up the IP between the respective communities.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
We would have to form a corporation to make the buy. I suggest a nonprofit group. The rights could be held and the IP open sourced. The company could make money through sale of game projects that are sold using the SCP - sort of like Unreal Engine. It would be a volunteer system.

Time is of the essence. We would have to nominate a council of members to spearhead the effort and coordinate it.

If I had the money I would donate it in exchange for shares. I don't, but I do have a tiny bit of time, and I could trade a couple hours per week to making this happen - IF anyone else wanted to H[e]LP. :) ;) lol

In case anyone's wondering, one of the big reasons I want this to happen is because I don't want anyone else making an FS3. I don't think anyone should make an official, canon FS3. I just don't see the need when we have so many amazing imaginings already.

The big challenge is the bulk buy will require a LOT of money. But we could try and Kickstarter it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 01:28:38 am by Unknown Target »

Offline Kie99

We could declare it canon now, but what'd be the point?  We're the only people playing these games, a declaration that what we as a community made is official and what the actual game developers made somehow doesn't count is vanity now and it'd be vanity then.

I've heard this name brought up in this thread and elsewhere but don't know much about him:

Who exactly is this "Derek Smart" and why is he bad and why would it be bad if he got the rights to FS (to make FS3)? 

He was, perhaps still is, a game developer who wanted to buy the rights to Freespace in the mid 2000s and make FS3.  He has a reputation as a developer of very bad, bug filled games and personally of being a very temperamental with a large, easily bruised ego.  I don't know how valid any of that is though.

Full thread about it is here, at one point the man himself actually joins up.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Crazy_Ivan80

• Node Warrior
I'm not at all interested I buying the licence to FS in order to make FS3.

Buying it in order to remove any restrictions on the SCP on the other hand.....

this, and of course making sure no one else (like a certain 'smart') get his/her hands on it. Control, after all, has a worth of it's own.
It came from outer space! What? Dunno, but it's going back on the next flight!
Proud member of Hard Light Productions. The last, best hope for Freespace...
:ha:

Offline Nagrach

• Just another Freespacer
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/773568956523225088?lang=de

"Right. So I should go buy the Freespace IP now then, right?"

- Derek Smart
Crabby the crappy crab crap.

-273 °C. Finally a place where I don't need to sweat.

Offline Kszyhu

He might be trolling, though.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
He is. He stated that the rights are not even sold separately.

Also, imho, if we were to start raising funds, it could be more beneficial to just get someone dedicated to get the multiplayer right.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Lorric

He is reminiscing about back then:

https://mobile.twitter.com/dsmart/status/773577832886829056

The thread on another forum he links to will show you the time when this went down for if you want to hunt down the Derek Smart thread here on HLP.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I don't think anyone, even :v:, could make FS3 better than BP team already did. :) Besides, given the current trends in games, it'd most likely turn out as one of the following:
1. Epic, grand scale MMO game to end all games, with a long development, lots of hype and no real depth once it gets released after all this (a number of recent "grand projects").
2. Dumb, arcade-y shooter designed for gamepad and console play, with no story worth mentioning (most older space sims).
3. "Retro" game looking and playing like Wing Commander 1, with great literary ambitions and not much else, including budget and development effort (too many indie games to count).
4. Cinematic FPS focused on multiplayer, with the ability to fly a few spacecraft over a small map (typical AAA stuff).
5. Boring, grindy trading sim with only "player-created story" and lots of procedural stuff (the usual modern way of doing space sims until Star Citizen started the "grand project" thing).
6. A multiplayer-only space shooter with controls slightly simplified from FS2 and lost of ways to squeeze money out of you (another popular genre these days).
This is pretty depressingly accurate, modern day game industry would definitely turn FS3 into something... significantly 'streamlined'.

I also agree with the things that Luis dias said. (Others have brought up good points too, just pretend I agree with those too!)

It's just the state of the industry. It takes millions of dollars to make a modern AAA game, so it needs to sell millions of copies to get a return of investment. A niche game that has at least 24 buttons just as basic gameplay functions but should be playable on a gamepad for the average joe, isn't really going to fly in sales predictions. Now Freespace has like a ****ton of redundant keys (you don't really need a targetting key to see who last ordered a hamburger) but even if you reduce it to just necessary keys it's a really tight fit on a gamepad. So inevitably somethings gotta give and options/features will end up cut, dumbing the game down.

And storywise, nobody is realistically going to give FS2 a proper official story successor. For volition, FS2 was clearly just another project they once worked on. Watching them trying to play their own game on stream was depressing, they couldn't figure out their own controls, and barely seemed to remember much of the game in general. They're not like a dedicated community fan base that has disected and thought about the game and its story for over 10 years. They'd need to come up with a story within roughly 2-3 years while developing a new game, which would likely more end up being a sort of reboot of the franchise because selling the idea of doing a sequel of a poorly sold game from 1999 to the sales department is... unlikely to succeed.

The shivantown story snippets seemed... pretty weak, and honestly doesn't hold a candle to the storyline being told in BP: WiH. On that subject, while BP is incredibly strong, its not a natural progression of the FS2 formula, and makes for a 'poor FS3' in that regard. But has never been intended to be that anyway. So I'm just repeating what lead writer Battuta has been stressing for years (even a few posts up). But that's part of the beauty of the modding community, exactly because nothing is canon post FS2, we've got campaigns that tell so many stories and explore so many different possible freespace subjects. With different writing styles, story telling methods, talking protagonists and silent ones.

I dont think HLP is realistically going to obtain the Freespace IP. There is most likely no way that the whole bundle of IP's is going to be in anyone's price range here (not even if we all bundle all our powers). But if we somehow magically did, the only thing I would really like to see out of it is the liberation of the restrictions that are currently on the engine. Possibly allowing people to create commercial products on the freespace engine? We've got people creating complete games with it as it is, for absolutely jack bollocks. Then I look at the steam greenlight and see talentless hacks make more money than all of the actually highly skilled an talented creators here combined, have ever made creating Freespace content and it kind of ircks me at times.

also
Derek smart
DEREK SMART
DEREK SMART
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 11:45:52 am by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
A niche game that has at least 24 buttons just as basic gameplay functions but should be playable on a gamepad for the average joe,

*Points to Elite Dangerous*
Mapping a space sim to controller is highly functional

It'd be easy enough to follow suit on that design and come out significantly on top
"No"

Honestly, if we don't want to get shut down in a year or two like many other projects have seen happening before, we really ought to have the license.
I'd definitely chip in some money to make it happen, besides I've been modding and playing for years and am finally making some real progress, I don't want to get some C&D or get sued right when I'm about to release stuff. I'm really serious about this concern.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
A niche game that has at least 24 buttons just as basic gameplay functions but should be playable on a gamepad for the average joe,

*Points to Elite Dangerous*
Mapping a space sim to controller is highly functional

It'd be easy enough to follow suit on that design and come out significantly on top
Yeah okay, I didn't say that it isn't possible. The point I was making is that by doing that you'll probably going to have to make concessions and cut things out of the game to accommodate gamepads. Which will end up simplifying the game.

Elite dangerous 'only' uses half the keyboard? (I never played the game myself)

Freespace 2 uses the whole keyboard

Let me quote myself and change it a bit:
It's just the state of the industry. It takes millions of dollars to make a modern AAA game, so it needs to sell millions of copies to get a return of investment. A niche singleplayer game that has at least 24 buttons just as basic gameplay functions but should be playable on a gamepad for the average joe, and has no long term milking projection of microtransations, isn't really going to fly in sales predictions. Now Freespace has like a ****ton of redundant keys (you don't really need a targetting key to see who last ordered a hamburger) but even if you reduce it to just necessary keys it's a really tight fit on a gamepad. So inevitably somethings gotta give and options/features will end up cut, dumbing the game down.
(changes underlined)

On the subject of Elite. That's exactly the type of game that I would not want to see Freespace turn into. Freespace's strength is its narrative driven mission structure, Elite's is... not that.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 08:08:34 pm by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them