Author Topic: Subnautica, or How I Learned To Love Deep Water  (Read 20081 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Making some wiring kits.

Stepping out the door, we are immediately confronted with-jesus christ it's a shark get in the seamoth.

I head out in my new upgraded Seamoth towards the wreck I remember from earlier, right on the 200m border. But on the way, lurking along the bottom, I notice things. Lithium deposits are good since they give me the ability to make plasteel ingots, which is necessary for a lot of things I want to do. But also, parts of the Cyclops.

Also bits of the Power Transmitter, not sure what I'd use that for. Do my nuclear reactors melt down? Maybe it's for the thermal generators? Also more Cyclops bits. I like this area, it's visually appealing, either way.

Anyways, returned to the wrecksite.

Large predator with lightning. Not good. Gonna have to be careful about this.

Alien containment? Am I in X-COM too now?

Welp, more scanning lifeforms then. And hoping none of them are Chryssalids.

That's lava. It's much more clear than the last time I saw it.

SPACE GUNS!

Behold the conquering hero, Gasopod, First of His Line, Ruler of the Area Around the Moonpool. This guy has at least made the Moonpool a safe entry and exit; it has ladders on the sides, in case you fall in while trying to get stuff out of your vehicle/add upgrades/whatever. It's good it does, because I've actually fallen in a couple times.

While hunting up for silver around the Mountain Island, I decide to hang out underwater a bit, and...Cyclops parts. The last one I need.

Then some asshole Biter ruins the moment, but I've unlocked the Cyclops. Now I need to build it.

Going back to the mobile vehicle bay, let's see what it takes.

Reduce to starter material level, that's...50 Titanium, 5 Lithium, 10 Quartz, 5 Stalker Teeth, 6 Creepvine Seeds, 2 Gold, 1 Quartz, 1 Silver, 2 Table Coral Samples.

But first...SPACE GUN.

The stasis rifle freezes normal-sized enemies, even groups of them depending on how long you hold the trigger to get a large effect, in a bubble of slowed time briefly. This gives you time to get away, scan, or otherwise take action, but does no actual damage. It's not effective at long ranges due to shot travel time in most cases, though, making using it nerve-wracking. I prefer just avoiding enemies, but if that's not possible this is better than trying to knife them.

Remember this name. I think it's the equivalent of "placeholder", considering you hear several different stories about this guy. Also pictured: sharks.

There's a wreck very close to the Aurora, but nothing in it worth having. What am I doing over here? Hunting up more Titanium.

Huh. Not seen this before...

You remember that weird rain of boulders? Here, it's, uh, in reverse. All of those ones with five or six floaters are actually moving upwards.

Oh great, the mess is back at home. But I have the mats now, so.

Get Cycloped, nerd.

With a giant splash, it lands in the water, leaving no trace.

So here it is.

The "board Cyclops" marker is for the swimmer entry, which is a pair of hatches in what would be the peak tank on a ship; forward and bottom. The first opens up parting in two directions when you're close (presumably it interfaces with your PDA?) leading to an interior hatch that will leave you inside a small area forward with a door.

Here's what it looks like on entry.

There are five two-by-six lockers in there, though you can actually build stuff inside the Cyclops including your own lockers. The ladder leads directly to the bridge; the second hatch beyond is for the vehicle bay, and then beyond that, the lower half of the engine room.

Incidentally customization controls are on the bridge for naming and coloration. I painted it red, for better visibility in low light, or so I thought.

Vehicle bay opening up. With the Seamoth at what altitude you deploy relative to the seabed doesn't matter so much, but deploying a PRAWN should be done from less than the length of the Cyclops above the seabed so you can get back in it. The hatch visible here is the rear one, while above you can see the enameled glass and a hatch for vehicle entry and exit.

Looking down at the Seamoth docked with the Cyclops.

An essential feature given the vehicle's size: The Cyclops has three camera views you can switch to, in addition to looking straight out the front glass bubble, which makes manuevering easier. These are a Keel camera for judging depth off the bottom and side clearance, a camera just forward of the screw for judging location of the screw in comparison to the rest of the Cyclops (I scrape the screw on projecting bits of bottom while trying to follow a slope more than any other collision), and finally a camera on the conning tower for side clearance and top clearance, which you wouldn't initially think you'd need to use much underwater. You'd be wrong. I've actually had to use the top camera several times during surfacing from trenches or passage through caves.

Also pictured: being able to see the inside of my base from outside. This is a bug I encounter fairly often, alas.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 04:34:48 am by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Re: Subnautica, or How I Learned To Love Deep Water
I've only seen that bug when I was in the Cyclops, so that's definitely odd.

Make sure you've got plenty of power cells for the Cyclops, though. That thing is power-hungry as all hell. The power efficiency upgrade module apparently boosts efficiency to 400% but you can't tell.

Also, amusingly, your base has a similar layout to mine.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 02:56:02 am by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
FYI the camera views have 3 different light settings: Off / Low / High

Can't remember if it's click or right-click that cycles through them.  Also, interior and exterior lighting switches are across from the customization panel, but you probably saw that.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I've only seen that bug when I was in the Cyclops, so that's definitely odd.

Make sure you've got plenty of power cells for the Cyclops, though. That thing is power-hungry as all hell. The power efficiency upgrade module apparently boosts efficiency to 400% but you can't tell.

Also, amusingly, your base has a similar layout to mine.

I'm actually posting about a week slow, so for example the Seamoth got named, then got wrecked by a Reaper Leviathan, already. (I wasn't in it, which made for a truly terrifying moment to see the Reaper that close on turning around and then realize oh ****, it's got my ride, I have to swim to escape.) My base layout has changed up too, with an observation tower/someday I hope they let me dock the Cyclops, a second Moonpool, and some additional rooms and windows.

The Cyclops is actually pretty okay on power use in my experience. Which is not to say I don't have a complete set of backup power cells plus four extras aboard, but I find that regular change out means I rarely use more than two or three power cells on a trip.

And remember you can build stuff in it. It's secretly a perpetual motion machine, as charging power cells off Cyclops power charges them faster than power for the Cyclops drops, especially with the efficiency module. I have two Power Cell chargers inside the Cyclops for this reason.

A Feddie Story

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
"Just remember that Scooty Puff Jr. sucks!"

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Anyone having problems with lag / crashes, take a read through here: (possible fix, if it doesn't help, just move folders back where they were)

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/146057/an-updated-guide-fix-crashes-lag-stuttering-and-keep-your-saves-through-subnautica-upgrades#latest

EDIT: Updated the guide after I found we hadn't been clearing everything, and as well, found the way to avoid having terrain in base when doing this.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 03:59:17 am by jr2 »

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
The Amazing Disappearing Cyclops
Okay, so I've had it with these ****ing sharks etc. It's time for some chemical warfare.

Mister Seamoth AI, load tubes one and two, gas torpedoes, open outer doors. You can see the torpedo system there where it looks like I've installed those rising headlights. Upsides: two tubes on one install. Downsides: more installs don't get you more tubes, four rounds per each installed torpedo bay, reloading after ready rounds are expended requires you to get out of the Seamoth and manually reload. Each torpedo is also fairly bulky at two-by-two in the inventory grid.

The other problem is if you really intend to go out and fight a Reaper, you'll probably only have eight ready rounds. Or even four ready rounds, which probably isn't enough to kill it.

Why?

Sammy the Safety Reaper will explain.

A Seamoth's ability to survive Reaper attack is proportional to the number of installed Hull Reinforcements. One lets you live through it once from full health. Two lets you live through only one attack, but gives you more safety margin on remaining hull integrity if a bunch of bonesharks show up on the way home. Three will let you live through a pair of Reaper attacks...sometimes. A Seamoth only has four module slots to start with though.

The gas torpedoes are only temporary HP damage unless you max it out, because dead is dead, and will force creatures to flee. Vortex torps create a gravitic disturbance, temporarily disabling creatures by sucking them in. Seamoth dogfighting is actually kind of disappointing. This has nothing to do with the Seamoth, which is a superb dogfighter, and everything to do with long travel times on the weapons making landing a shot difficult. Both have large proximity area of effects and a safety fuze to detonate at about 200 meters, so if you're one of those people who actually mastered the Infyrno missile you might get a lot of mileage out of it.

Ultimately my only kill was taking out my knife and stabbing one to death while it was disabled by the vortex torps.

That Bulkhead thing I picked up on the Degasi survivor base on the floating island lets me install these doors to subdivide my base safely so it can't flood entirely in one go. At some point I'll need to do another base layout series.

Old Cyclops disappeared due to a bug. This is new Cyclops. It's unpainted. It didn't stick around either. Here's the view from the Keel camera, looking forward and slightly to starboard. Or, you could just check out the little needle-and-planview thing to figure where the camera's oriented! At least horizontally. You get to figure out where it's pointed vertically on your own.

Dead shark is ****ing dead.

Exploring the edge of the Koosh Zone with my new deep-diving Seamoth, such as it is. That fish is new, never seen one before. I didn't get out to check.

Volcanoes. Check out the Kooshes, too.

You know I have a strong suspicion that I had the only working goddamn lifepod on the Aurora.

Hugging a rock wall dropoff, goes deeper, mainly looking for uranium and magnetite, I spot this. It fades out after a few seconds. Did someone just subspace-jump out at my approach? Am I going to be fighting underwater Shivans?

There's some Uranium.

Okay, clear baffles, ensure area is safe before exiting the Seamoth. Hey, what's that purple thing?

That looks...surprisingly humanoid. It's obviously not a tool-user with those claw arms, but...what the **** is it doing?

OW **** OW ****. WHY AM I NOT IN THE SEAMOTH? WHAT THE **** JUST TOOK THIRTY PERCENT OF MY HEALTH AND WHY DID I TRAVEL THROUGH SUBSPACE FROM THE SEAMOTH'S PILOT SEAT TO A HUNDRED METERS AWAY. Gotta get out of here, back to the Seamoth! All ahead full, emergency surface, once I'm inside it.

Ladies, gentlemen, and misc. hard-to-gender fish of the Subnautica thread: that was a Warper. And it does what it sounds like.

A Feddie Story

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Yeah stay as far as **** away from the things that warp. They WILL wreck you and are by far the creepiest things in the game. They also tend to surround the "important" wrecks.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
The Cyclops disappearing bug has been fixed, be sure you've updated Subnautica.

Pro tip: after using Stasis Rifle, knife hits are OHK on anything inside the stasis field (makes sense, as you'd have time to stab anything in just the right spot).

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
The Cyclops disappearing bug has been fixed, be sure you've updated Subnautica.

I'm actually posting about a week slow,

By this point it's more like a month, but you could probably have figured that out. I have it through Steam, it updates automatically.

A Feddie Story

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Saw you mentioned it disappearing, figured I'd better be sure (some people shut of auto-updating).

EDIT: updated the guide (or rather, made a new one) for clearing cache / keeping saves between Subnautica upgrades (while still enjoying the new content).

credit to IGP (guy who made the YouTube vid I linked in the guide)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 04:02:32 am by jr2 »

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Trying to find the last couple of wrecks I haven't hit yet. Dunes is not going well, though not because of Reapers. (Because I can't find the thing.) Maybe I should go for the second Grand Reef wreck instead.

A Feddie Story

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Trying to find the last couple of wrecks I haven't hit yet. Dunes is not going well, though not because of Reapers. (Because I can't find the thing.) Maybe I should go for the second Grand Reef wreck instead.

Upgrade depth on Seamoth, pack a bunch of Power Cells in the Storage, profit?

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Upgrade depth on Seamoth, pack a bunch of Power Cells in the Storage, profit?

Death sentence with the number of Reapers in the Dunes; I'd never be able to search it without at the least losing the Seamoth. I found the last Grand Reef wreck, so that just leaves the Dunes one.

I still haven't gotten the Drill Arm for my PRAWN, which is why I'm looking.

A Feddie Story