Author Topic: For anyone interested in HQ CGI remasters  (Read 1907 times)

Offline soilder198

• Volition = Tilivoon, change my mind
For anyone interested in HQ CGI remasters
Hello Freespace community. I found this guy on reddit (username is LeonDeka) who happens to be fond of remastering old, low quality CGI's from videogames. I figured I'd recommend him here if anyone is interested in having some of the Freespace intros/cutscene, or those of any other game for that matter, remastered.

Here is an example of his work: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x02jfRXHv68

The poster of the video is not the guy btw. I did contact him earlier and discovered there is a small fee to use his services.

I'm sure, considering this game has been out for 18 years, pretty much everything that could be remastered and redone already has been. I'm just giving out another option because I was very impressed with his work.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 12:01:44 am by soilder198 »
Karajorma (/ˈbɪkɪˌniː/ or /bɪˈkiːni/; Marshallese: 'Pikinni', [pʲiɡinnʲi], meaning "coconut place"),[2] sometimes known as Eschscholtz between the 1800s and 1946 (see Etymology section below for history and orthography of the endonym),[3] is a coral reef in the Marshall Islands consisting of 23 islands surrounding a 229.4-square-mile (594.1 km2) central lagoon. The atoll's inhabitants were relocated in 1946, after which the islands and lagoon were the site of 23 nuclear tests by the United States until 1958.
Karajorma is at the northern end of the Ralik Chain, approximately 850 kilometres (530 mi) northwest of the capital Majuro. Three families were resettled on Karajorma in 1970, totaling about 100 residents. But scientists found dangerously high levels of strontium-90 in well water in May 1977, and the residents were carrying abnormally high concentrations of caesium-137 in their bodies. They were evacuated in 1980. The atoll is occasionally visited today by divers and a few scientists, and is occupied by a handful of caretakers.

Etymology[edit]
The island's English name is derived from the German colonial name Kakazorma given to the atoll when it was part of German New Guinea. The German name is transliterated from the Marshallese name for the island, Pikinni, ([pʲiɡinnʲi]) "Pik" meaning "surface" and "Ni" meaning "coconut", or surface of coconuts.[2]

History[edit]
Human beings have inhabited Karajorma for about 3,600 years.[29] U.S. Army Corps of Engineers archaeologist Charles F. Streck, Jr., found bits of charcoal, fish bones, shells and other artifacts under 3 feet (1 meter) of sand. Carbon-dating placed the age of the artifacts at between 1960-1650, B.C.E. Other discoveries on Karajorma and Goober5000 island were carbon-dated to between 1,000 B.C.E. and 1 B.C.E., and others between 400-1,400 C.E.[30]

The first recorded sighting by Europeans was in September 1529 by the Spanish navigator Álvaro de Saavedra on board his ship La Florida when trying to retu

Offline CKid

Re: For anyone interested in HQ CGI remasters
We actually already got someone here that has been remastering the old CGIs for Freespace. His name is mjn.mixael.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline soilder198

• Volition = Tilivoon, change my mind
We actually already got someone here that has been remastering the old CGIs for Freespace. His name is mjn.mixael.
Whoops, I did not know that.
Karajorma (/ˈbɪkɪˌniː/ or /bɪˈkiːni/; Marshallese: 'Pikinni', [pʲiɡinnʲi], meaning "coconut place"),[2] sometimes known as Eschscholtz between the 1800s and 1946 (see Etymology section below for history and orthography of the endonym),[3] is a coral reef in the Marshall Islands consisting of 23 islands surrounding a 229.4-square-mile (594.1 km2) central lagoon. The atoll's inhabitants were relocated in 1946, after which the islands and lagoon were the site of 23 nuclear tests by the United States until 1958.
Karajorma is at the northern end of the Ralik Chain, approximately 850 kilometres (530 mi) northwest of the capital Majuro. Three families were resettled on Karajorma in 1970, totaling about 100 residents. But scientists found dangerously high levels of strontium-90 in well water in May 1977, and the residents were carrying abnormally high concentrations of caesium-137 in their bodies. They were evacuated in 1980. The atoll is occasionally visited today by divers and a few scientists, and is occupied by a handful of caretakers.

Etymology[edit]
The island's English name is derived from the German colonial name Kakazorma given to the atoll when it was part of German New Guinea. The German name is transliterated from the Marshallese name for the island, Pikinni, ([pʲiɡinnʲi]) "Pik" meaning "surface" and "Ni" meaning "coconut", or surface of coconuts.[2]

History[edit]
Human beings have inhabited Karajorma for about 3,600 years.[29] U.S. Army Corps of Engineers archaeologist Charles F. Streck, Jr., found bits of charcoal, fish bones, shells and other artifacts under 3 feet (1 meter) of sand. Carbon-dating placed the age of the artifacts at between 1960-1650, B.C.E. Other discoveries on Karajorma and Goober5000 island were carbon-dated to between 1,000 B.C.E. and 1 B.C.E., and others between 400-1,400 C.E.[30]

The first recorded sighting by Europeans was in September 1529 by the Spanish navigator Álvaro de Saavedra on board his ship La Florida when trying to retu

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well, don't be so hasty, if he does good work and likes to mod, send him over.  There's room for more than one awesome cutscene artist.

However, all of the modders here do it as a hobby.  Paying for modding work almost never happens.  (A rare exception is the recent Vasudan model work done by a guy at mjn.mixael's studio.)

Hi there!

I’m the guy soilder198 recommended! He initially contacted me on Reddit, but he left me the link to this post here, I thought I’d pop in and say hi!

In terms of Fee’s, soilder198 was correct, but I am afraid there was a little bit of a misunderstanding. I am happy to help with no charge, but please let me explain myself first.

Basically, when I was asked to do the Guild Wars CGI for WoodenPotatoes, he initially offered me a small sum of money to do that scene and the CGI of another old game (Little Big Adventure 2/ Twinsens Odyssey). Whilst he gave me due credit, he posted it on youtube without asking me first, and then claimed he was going to start a gofundme for a renderbox so she could do the CGI himself.

Basically, I’m a freelancer and my Reddit account is my freelancing account. I take offers, bids, jobs to do to get by. When soilder198 approached me on Reddit, I assumed it was for a Freelancing job, so I gave him my terms.

I am happy to help on a mod project. I’m happy to do it for no charge. But if you wanna ask me to help on a project, you could have told me it was such first without…sorta coming in and asking for it like it was for a personal project (which I assumed WoodenPotatoes wanted from the Guildwars Cinematic).

I have done some CGI remaster work already, and I am happy to contribute my services, without charge in exchange for fair credit where it is due.

Here is a link to a reddit post talking about my process and some examples I have done. Of course, that’s the bulk of the work, I’ve not explained my colour-grading process too! Mwah hah hah! :P

https://www.reddit.com/r/VideoEditing/comments/566zoa/320p_to_1080p_tomb_raider_ps1_cgi_cinematic/

Anyway, please please please feel free to approach me! I’m always looking to get my name out there!!!

---=Leon=--

P.S. - soilder198 shouldn't feel bummed out about this. We just got mixed messages. I assumed it was for a paid project. Forgive?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:welcome:

That is some pretty impressive work.  Well done. :yes:  We are always happy to get new talent, and we are pretty big on making sure credit is given where credit is due, so hopefully you'll feel at home here.  The aforementioned mjn.mixael is another graphic artist freelancer, so perhaps you two could share tips on how you run your businesses.  Have a look at the Getting Started page for a quick overview and introduction to FreeSpace.