Author Topic: FS2 Trace viewing  (Read 2700 times)

Hi all,

I am working on a trace viewer to see the time taken during fs2's execution time. (let's make it fast!)

I would like to brand it with HLP/FS2 artwork. So it looks like it works with fs2. Are there any restrictions on using the HLP image and a shot of maybe a Deimos being laser'd by a Moloch for the splash screen?

Thanks!

Ok, no response means I need more details.

here is a link to the splash screens I made.

http://imgur.com/a/3XPcy

and here is the trace viewer.

https://github.com/TheMatthew/spacecompass/releases/tag/v0.02-alpha

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Maybe mention this thread on our Discord server?  Link should be in my signature.  (have to hit 'expand', sorry, my sig is a bi ton the large side)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Maybe mention this thread on our Discord server?  Link should be in my signature.  (have to hit 'expand', sorry, my sig is a bi ton the large side)
He mentioned it there, first.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

I think I may hit a cycle by doing that. :) They recommended I post here. Either way, I will be clear. I will take down the artwork if the authors do not approve.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I think the issue is whether or not the rights holder for the FreeSpace IP would approve, really.. we aren't the rights holders to anything in retail FreeSpace, unfortunately.

Offline m!m

I don't think this is an issue with the FreeSpace IP holders since the artwork he is using is based on stuff from the MediaVPs.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I can't really comment about using the images in splash screens, but what about the viewer? That sounds interesting, do you have any screenshots of it in use?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
If software is not specifically for FSO related things, I wouldn't use FS2 IP at all in it.  If this is exclusively for FSO stuff, I don't see any real issue with MVP assets in splash screens, etc, unless the original asset author has issue with it.  But that's not usually likely around here.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Sorry for the late replies:

You can find the viewer here, I hope it helps. https://github.com/TheMatthew/spacecompass

As for the reason for using fs2 assets, to be honest, I like fs2 a lot. I want to give something back to the community that supplied me with blue planet, just another day and sync. This is an extension of "Trace Compass". The tool "space compass" is 100% for the freespace 2 community. If it works with others, fine, but this is my primary focus. I will also do my best to mainline features as we go. I don't see my employer going "Rear_admiral_tarsus please add a 17 year old game to our supported platform list, I will pay you to implement and maintain that." So I think space compass will always be a thing, but I see it hopefully getting smaller and smaller with every release of trace compass. Or, that new features helping the devs can be implemented in here and if, by any chance, this allows them to isolate heisenbugs faster, I will be thrilled to believe I helped. :)