Author Topic: What is the most unique feature you have found in Freespace ?  (Read 1373 times)

Offline potterman28wxcv

• Just a fan player
What is the most unique feature you have found in Freespace ?
I've been wondering recently, why do I keep coming back at Freespace ? There are plenty of other space games out there, and yet Freespace is still my favourite.

I think the most wonderful feature of Freespace, the one that keeps me playing, is that you're not just a random dude who is told to shoot at things and progress. You're not a one-man-army either (well, not in Insane at least) - I mean, you can save the day even if you end up alone, but it's really hard and you have low probability to succeed.

You're neither one nor the other - you are a commander. With big responsibilities on your shoulder. You have to be careful with your wingmen ship/weapon assignment, as well as not give them stupid orders and help them when you can. Because if they die, either you're gonna be the next, or your mission will fail.. But even though keeping them alive is a high priority, the success of your mission is #1 priority. And at times you might end up sending your wingmen to die, because that's the only solution left.

When you fail a mission, you can think of how you could have done better, and change your strategy accordingly. I mean, it's not just your pilot skills - it's also your ability to understand what is going on, and to take the right decisions.

This is something that I have only seen in Freespace so far. You can give me a game with great graphics, or a game with awesome battles, or a giant MMO spacegame set in the Freespace universe. If there is no squadron management, it will never beat Freespace in my eyes.

What about you ? What kept you playing during all these years, aside of the community ? Why did you start modding this game in particular, and not another space-game ?

Offline Kie99

Re: What is the most unique feature you have found in Freespace ?
FRED.  There have been some amazing campaigns that have come out due to that that have kept my interest in the game, often with zero or hardly any mods.  Being able to create your own campaign or play other people's right off the bat is an absolute godsend.  It wouldn't be a tenth of the game without it.

I can't really compare it to other games - I've never played anything remotely similar to Freespace - but without FRED I'd probably have long since forgotten it.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
FRED.  There have been some amazing campaigns that have come out due to that that have kept my interest in the game, often with zero or hardly any mods.  Being able to create your own campaign or play other people's right off the bat is an absolute godsend.  It wouldn't be a tenth of the game without it.

I can't really compare it to other games - I've never played anything remotely similar to Freespace - but without FRED I'd probably have long since forgotten it.

This.

Everything great about FS that wasn't part of the original retail release can trace it's existence, directly or indirectly, back to FRED.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

The best feature in Freespace?

I am also for FRED.

Because i do not know any other game that have a mission editor in the first place or does have a so active community like this game.
Okay, there are space games with an active community, but none of those is like Freespace. There are Open-World games, which always have the problem, that it is too difficult to tell a intense and exciting story.
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele