Author Topic: Children of Dead Earth  (Read 2086 times)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Children of Dead Earth
So I was doing a little research on Atomic Rockets for some designs I am working on when I saw this:

Has anybody played this?  I'm tempted to check it out but I'm a little worried it might be beyond a dumb pleb like me.  In any case it looks cool as flock.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Luis Dias

Re: Children of Dead Earth
It looks like anti-fun. Except for engineer-minded people. Those people will have a blast, I think.

Scott Manley did a video series on it and after a few missions he was saying that the actual combat just comes down to making a pass at interorbital velocities and rolling the dice. It doesn't sound like one to play for the gameplay.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I'd watch it, but not play it.  :)  As Robert Heinlein wrote in "the Cat Who Walks Through Walls", "...'velocity' is a direction as well as a speed, which is why rocket ships don't make U-turns."  Freespace's "WWII in space" model is much more fun for me to play than a "Newtonian" model.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
On the other hand I-war and Warhead were both a lot of fun. So it's not like a Newtonian game can't work.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
There is a big difference between a simpler Newtonian space sim and space sim which also simulates orbital mechanics.

Newtonian space sims certainly can work (see Ive Found Her, Diaspora, or Star Citizen :p).

As for sims which simulate orbital mechanics.. lets just say it is an acquired taste.. :D

I played Children of dead Earth and it was interesting at first but I got bored after few hours.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Newtonian space sims certainly can work (see Ive Found Her, Diaspora, or Star Citizen :p).

exactly one of these is newtonian
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
exactly one of these is newtonian

Newtonian space sim usually means that ships have proper inertia. In contrast with Freespace or Wing Commaders, where you are always moving forward and cannot glide in arbitrary directions. Thus all three are Newtonian (however may have speed limits).
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
If there's a speed limit, it's not Newtonian. By definition.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

indeed the speed/space limits are what differentiates COADE from those games

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Kerbal space program, but with railguns. . . .

I see nothing to complain about.

<sidenote> I haven't played it yet, but from what I know the game handles ship/weapon designs very fluidly-  drones and missiles are interchangeable concepts and anything that can fit inside a gun barrel can be used as a projectile,

Nuke-Launching Gattling guns?
YEP!

Coilguns that shoot Railguns that shoot Mass drivers that shoot drones that fire lasers?
Why not?

The only things that limit you are Mass, Cost, The laws of physics, and practicality.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:34:34 pm by DefCynodont119 »
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline Davros

If there's a speed limit, it's not Newtonian. By definition.
It would be Einsteinian 

Not THAT speed limit.  :p
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.