Author Topic: Models/POF conversion question  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Models/POF conversion question
So to keep this short, I want to take one of the lower LOD models of the Orion out of the .pof file and convert that to something usable by AutoDesk Inventor. Inventor recognizes .dxf,  .prt/.sldprt, .stl, all AutoCAD files, etc. My purpose is to use such a model to make a CAM program to mill out a desktop model.

What would I need to do to extract the lower LOD model and convert it to other filetypes?
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: Models/POF conversion question
Export it to .dae from pcs2, and then use blender/3dsmax to export to .stl?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
I think in PCS2 you can delete sub objects and meshes (IIRC you select it and then there's a red X top right?); you could save a copy of the POF and then delete everything but the object you want to get the LOD mesh. Another option could be to import the while thing and delete the extra parts if you can import into Inventor (not aware of the program I'm afraid so not sure).

In terms of exporting, aye as Droid says .dae is probably a good route; most modellers tend to recognise it. I think .cob might be another universal one too?
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Isn't the .cob plugin for PCS2 kinda un-maintained & broken? I'd recommend using .dae as it gets far more use by modellers/model-importers.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Instead of shooting for a lower LOD of the hi-poly model, it seems like it might be a better call to go for LOD 0 of the original retail model.  Unless you mean that you want a lower LOD from the retail model to create something practical for milling, in which case blissfully ignore this!