Author Topic: OK I repurchased FS2 from GOG  (Read 1485 times)

Offline NickM

OK I repurchased FS2 from GOG
Naturally...I have problems;

After installing the GOG version of FS 2 (and before I have tried to install the FSO), I fire up the game & my screen goes black & the following message appears:

Input Signal Out of Range
Current Settings: H=59kdHZ V=74Hz

Change settings to 1920 x 1200-60Hz

Now...thinking that perhaps my Screen's resolution was wrong, I checked it out & found my resolution was already 1920 x 1200 (though it looks like I can only manage 32 bit and 60Hz); My graphics card is an ATI Radion HD 2400 XT

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: OK I repurchased FS2 from GOG
This is before FSO is installed? Any reason why using FSO isn;t an option? I'm sure that would fix the problem, and you don't need to run any graphical enhancements or anything if you're worried about performance or maintaining the old feel of the game.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Unfortunately original Freespace2 only supports the 1024x768 & 640x480 resolutions, and sounds like your monitor can't support resolutions that low/old.  Running Freespace2 Open should fix this issue for you.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline NickM

I tried it before I downloaded FSO. Downloading it now.

Offline Yarn

Input Signal Out of Range
Current Settings: H=59kdHZ V=74Hz

Change settings to 1920 x 1200-60Hz
I think the problem is that your video card was trying to send a 74 Hz signal (or perhaps one just below 75 Hz) to your monitor, which might not be able to display a signal of that refresh rate. (Usually the video card can obtain the monitor's capabilities, even through a VGA connection, but this might sometimes fail.)

If you're using a VGA connection for your monitor, consider switching to a digital connection like DVI if both your monitor and video card support it. I don't know whether it will help prevent cases like this, but it should provide better image quality.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 12:36:27 am by Yarn »
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline NickM

OK, I added the FSO on top of my GOG FS2; just to be cautious I added only FS2. So far it works juuuuust fine. However I want to add a few more of the mods. Do I just re-run the FSO installer & I will get the rest of the mods (FS1, Derelict, Silent threat-et all, etc)?

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Yep, the installer will download as much or as little as you want.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp