Author Topic: Cold Waters: In the Deep Seas the Sonarmen can hear you scream...  (Read 2835 times)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Cold Waters: In the Deep Seas the Sonarmen can hear you scream...
The folks that developed the turn based Atlantic Fleet game have rolled out a rather enjoyable sub game, Cold Waters.  If you enjoyed Jane's 688i or MicroPose Red Storm Rising then this maybe worth a look:

This fella was a bubblehead on 688s and has generated a lot of quality content for the game.  I've only dipped my toe in at the moment but seems like it will be an fun game once I come up to speed.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 10:22:23 pm by StarSlayer »
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline crizza

Re: Cold Waters: In the Seas the Sonarmen can hear you scream...
Bought it, played it, still lovin' it.
And Jive Turkey is a great guy and since Jingles pointed so many to his channel...

I now regularly watch a jive turkey cold waters video pretty much every evening. It's very entertaining!

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
Been playing this one recently, of course, with the mod that lets you play as the reds.

Hot damn, you better pray you get to shooting position first (somehow), because those Mk 48s are hard to get away from.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
It's hilarious how quickly this game goes from normal ass puckering tension to **** your pants terror:

Lost the wire on a Mark 48 just as it was executing its countermeasure avoidance maneuver on this Whiskey class SSK.  Because of how slow a diesel boat is, instead of whipping back around into its flank the fish instead passed in front, continued its circle and somehow sniffed me out 4000 yards away and making 5kts.  I then had to lead it on a merry chase down to 800ft before cutting back high and it reacquiring on the sinking wreck of a Foxtrot I had killed earlier.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
...and other white knuckle hijinks like hydroacoustic conditions that are absolute **** at 111 dB.  After going shallow and deep to see if passive could get a wiff failed, I was forced to go active search... 

and have Sonar report a Victor II under 2000 yards dead ahead a couple hundred feet above.  We both launched terrible snap shots at each other but amazingly my torpedo evasion maneuver brought me right into his baffles at only 1700 yards. The following sums up the results:

Offline crizza

Re: Cold Waters: In the Deep Seas the Sonarmen can hear you scream...
And now imagine these conditions while hunting a Typhoon.
I picked it up, fired and then it was gone.
So I followed it and ran straight into the jaws of two waiting diesel-electric subs.
Finished the game on casual, even being sunk in enemy waters during a Typhoon hunt, abandoned ship and was assigned a new one :D
On my second attempt, I went on easy and BAM, second mission: Load specops -.-

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

Offline crizza

Sadly no screenshot, but holy ****, the Los Angeles Fl.III is dope.
Sitting comfy at 80 feet, having aquired a whole soviet landing force, I dish out 10 TLAMs and dive.
Seconds later, I'm chased by  at least 8 warship dropped torpedos :D hell yeah :D

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
MK 48, I am not the Victor I you are looking for, move along move along!

This fella was a lot less adept at avoiding his own fish, though the MOSS and the ambient noise being over 100Db probably helped it find its way home.

Back to back baffles shanks, neither poor diesel ever got a whif

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Orders came down from COMSUBLANT that a Soviet SSGN wolfpack was attempting to break into the Atlantic via the Denmark Strait.  USS Cincinnati was tasked with intercepting this force, keeping the Convoy Routes supplying the NATO push into West Germany secure.

After a few days patrolling between Greenland and Iceland, Sonar reported three submerged contacts closing on our position.  Cincinnati rigged for ultra quite and prepared to let them slip by...

Keep that finger of the active sonar Victor III.

After the Attack Boat and SSGN passed by, Cincinnati tucked quietly in behind.

Open outer doors...

Surprise Baffles Sex!

Scratch one Charlie. 

Sorry Bud, you probably should have heel and toe'd it when your friends got shanked.  Especially when yours was the least capable boat of the bunch.

Helm make your depth 50 feet and prepare to raise the radio mast, we will transmit an After Action Report to COMSUBLANT.

Also the Russians were not happy about me interfering with their plans to land a amphib force at Ålesund...

Give me a break Ivan, you must be running low on launch platforms at this point. 

The Planesmen are going to have need to be issued some Tylenol for stiff arms after this ****.

Conn, Sonar: Explosion on the bearing of the Master Six, contact is breaking up.

After some very intense maneuvering and shooting USS Cincinnati succeeded in keeping the Admiral happy and Norway safe for those pretty blondes.