Author Topic: -no_glsl in 3.8  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Abaddon

• Behind you, pilot!
Hey -

Just wanted to ask if there's a direct equivalent to the legacy 3.7 no_glsl flag in 3.8, or if there's a way I can get more or less the same result. I have a laptop with Intel integrated graphics, which really chokes on OpenGL shaders - no_glsl is the only thing that gives me a decent framerate in 3.7.4. I'd like to be able to run some new campaigns if possible, but I understand if the option has been totally phased out.

Thanks.
There are four types of critics:
  (1)  People who reflexively criticize any idea (contrarians)
  (2)  People who enjoy making you suffer (sadists)
  (3)  People who are angry for no good reason (nuts)
  (4)  People with valid criticisms (bastards)
- S. A.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
"Disable normal maps" and/or "Disable height/parallax maps" are the flag options you are looking for.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
In addition to those, you should probably also use the "Disable deferred lighting" switch and make sure that post processing is off. While there is no way to disable shaders entirely, that's probably the best configuration for low-end systems right now.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline m!m

You can also try the in-game detail options. Some of them (especially the lighting options) can have a big performance impact.

Offline Abaddon

• Behind you, pilot!
That bundle of options did help a bit. It's not as smooth as 3.7.4 was, but it's definitely at least playable now. Thanks.
There are four types of critics:
  (1)  People who reflexively criticize any idea (contrarians)
  (2)  People who enjoy making you suffer (sadists)
  (3)  People who are angry for no good reason (nuts)
  (4)  People with valid criticisms (bastards)
- S. A.