Author Topic: In-game Graphics Options?  (Read 576 times)

In-game Graphics Options?
So, I've been enjoying FSO with the 2014 media VPs. However, I noticed recently in game that the detail settings are not maxed out. Both, model detail and nebula detail are set at 4/5. I'm just curious with how much FS has evolved do these in game settings still have any effect? Should I increase them to max or leave them be?

Secondly, does anyone know a good link where I can compare the different lighting presets available in wxlauncher? I know there's a page here on this forum, but none of the example images load up.

Thanks!

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Re: In-game Graphics Options?
So, I've been enjoying FSO with the 2014 media VPs. However, I noticed recently in game that the detail settings are not maxed out. Both, model detail and nebula detail are set at 4/5. I'm just curious with how much FS has evolved do these in game settings still have any effect? Should I increase them to max or leave them be?

Because Models still have several Level of Detail stages, yes the model detail option has still an effect, at least. On 1/5 Model detail, the game looks bad even with MVPs  :D

Secondly, does anyone know a good link where I can compare the different lighting presets available in wxlauncher? I know there's a page here on this forum, but none of the example images load up.

3.8.0 uses a complete new lightning system. So all old lightning presets are somewhat irrelevant. Currently the option in wxlauncher so has a complete other effect than in previous builds. All example images are not representative anymore.

Here is a discussion about that.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:32:58 am by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.

Responsible for the german translation project FreiRaum - FreeSpace auf Deutsch.
Also responsible for the Nova Upgrade Project, which upgrades and fix older campaigns to make them play- and solveable again with current builds and MediaVPs.

Release List:
German Translations:
Awakenings, Between the Ashes 1, Deneb III, FreeSpace 2 (in development), FreeSpace Port, Silent Threat: Reborn & The Destiny of Peace

Nova Upgrades:
A Walk in the Sun, Into the Halls of Valhalla, Luyten Civil War, Renegade Resurgence, Rogues!, Storm Front Saga, The Deuterium Connection, Venice Mirror & What If: Another Great War

Thanks, after reading the discussion I've gone with these settings for now:
-ambient_factor 65 -no_emissive_light -spec_point 0.6 -spec_static 3.0 -spec_tube 0.4 -bloom_intensity 30

One more thing, the engine glow from ships has a flickering effect that looks a bit like an unwanted artifact at times, depending on which angle you're viewing it from. Can I disable this somehow to see how it looks without?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Remove the -fb_thrusters commandline argument (listed in the launcher as "Enable Framebuffer Thrusters")
Let there be light
Let there be moon
Let there be stars and let there be you
Let there be monsters and let there be pain
Let us begin to feel again
--Devin Townsend, Genesis