Author Topic: Hornet missiles absent in Exodus  (Read 3467 times)

Hornet missiles absent in Exodus
I'm enjoying my first playthrough of the Freespace 1 campaign using the Freespace Port Mission Upgrade pack and FSO 3.8.0, and I've run into what I think is a bug, although it's a minor one.  In the Weapon Selection screen prior to Exodus, the Hornet missile is supposed to be available because the mission briefing said so, but it's not.  My ship was not preloaded with them, and it's also missing from the secondary weapons list.  The Fury, Interceptor, and other missiles are there, but the Hornet is not.  Any ideas as to why?

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Re: Hornet missiles absent in Exodus
That is indeed a good question.

I did not change anything in the Pool for the campaign missions and also i did not change any tech related events.

In the first check, both (original fsport and fsport-upgrade) versions of the mission have the same amount of Hornets in the Pool in "Exodus" aswell both of them have the same Tech-Events in "Doomsday" that make them usable in the campaign in the first place from the next mission onwards.

I will take a closer look, even i do not know why that happens, because Doomsday was one of the missions that is nearly identical to the FSPort version of this mission (except that the Lucifer jumps in instead of appearing out of nowhere)

Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

That is indeed a good question.

I did not change anything in the Pool for the campaign missions and also i did not change any tech related events.

In the first check, both (original fsport and fsport-upgrade) versions of the mission have the same amount of Hornets in the Pool in "Exodus" aswell both of them have the same Tech-Events in "Doomsday" that make them usable in the campaign in the first place from the next mission onwards.

I will take a closer look, even i do not know why that happens, because Doomsday was one of the missions that is nearly identical to the FSPort version of this mission (except that the Lucifer jumps in instead of appearing out of nowhere)
Thanks for taking a look.  Since I probably wouldn't use Hornets for this mission anyway, I'm going to continue the campaign unless Hornets are still not available for the following mission, or there is some reason to believe that my pilot file is corrupted.  I hope that's not the case, because I'm 2/3 of the way done with the campaign.

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Mhh.. the first test with a shortened campaign file was negative. I was not able to reproduce this.

I cheated my way through Doomsday and got the Hornets and the Banshee for the next mission. The first secondary bank of my Hercules was also predefined with Hornets as they should, also the Banshee for the 2nd primary bank.

Do you have the Banshee available or is this one also missing?
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Stuck at work right now, so I'll have to check that tonight when I get home.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 12:01:56 am by ralentor »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yeah I just looked at my own files, and both the original FS1 mission, and the FSPort mission it was based on, have the proper events.  Since the Upgrade Pack is based on FSPort it should work too.

I can think of two possibilities:

1) You skipped past Doomsday, e.g. by failing the mission 5 times, and maybe that prevented the Hornet from being allowed
2) There is some mod incompatibility that is preventing you from using the Hornet.

If you press Ctrl-Shift-S to make all weapons visible, can you find the Hornet in the tech room?

The Banshee and Hornet Swarm entries are already there in the Tech room.  I didn't have to Ctrl-Shift-S.

I also haven't activated any other mods.  I installed FSO using the FSO installer, played the main FS2 campaign, and then activated the FS Port Mission Upgrade to play the FS1 campaign.

When I finished Doomsday, I intended to replay it to get the Galatea Survivor medal because I had lost one escape pod.  However, I must've accidentally accepted the outcome because when I restarted the game the next day, I was already on the Bastion.  Maybe something happened at this point that caused the missing weapons.

I'm going to complete Exodus and see if those two weapons become available in the next mission.  I seem to remember that happening once before with the Prometheus cannon where it became available on the next mission after it was supposed to show up.  Maybe my pilot file is mildly corrupted somehow.

I finished Exodus, and the Banshee is now available for the next mission, but the Hornets are still absent.  However, they are available in the mission simulator for Exodus, along with the Banshee.

No worries, I'm going to keep going and not sweat it.  The Hornets will probably show up in the campaign eventually, and if not, I can always use the Interceptors.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 12:06:47 am by ralentor »

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
The Banshee and Hornet Swarm entries are already there in the Tech room.  I didn't have to Ctrl-Shift-S.

That is actually very strange. Because their appearance in the Tech Room is bound to the same events that make them usable for the player within a campaign  :confused:

I am totally stumped, because if the Event was not triggered during Doomsday they should also not be visible in the Tech Room. No idea... and i was still not able to reproduce this error on my end here.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 04:28:19 am by Novachen »

I have the SOTY version of Freespace 2 on CD, not the GOG version, patched with FSO of course.  Maybe it's a bug specific to the SOTY version?

BTW, the Freespace Port is really well done.  Having a great time playing the campaign that started it all.  The only mission that I found frustrating was the Hammer and the Anvil.  It was really tough to protect all three cargo containers from the relentless barrage of Shivan missiles.  Must've taken me twenty attempts or more to finally get all three to the node.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
That is actually very strange. Because their appearance in the Tech Room is bound to the same events that make them usable for the player within a campaign  :confused:

Can you take a look at the mission and make sure you didn't accidentally chain the allow-Hornet event to the event before it?  That's one thing that could cause the bug, but in the original mission, those events are not chained.

BTW, the Freespace Port is really well done.  Having a great time playing the campaign that started it all.  The only mission that I found frustrating was the Hammer and the Anvil.  It was really tough to protect all three cargo containers from the relentless barrage of Shivan missiles.  Must've taken me twenty attempts or more to finally get all three to the node.

Yes, for some reason that mission has become a lot harder in the Port than in original FS1.  Whether it's due to a change in AI or missile accuracy or something else, I can't say.

Offline Novachen

• Twitter

Can you take a look at the mission and make sure you didn't accidentally chain the allow-Hornet event to the event before it?  That's one thing that could cause the bug, but in the original mission, those events are not chained.

Nope. It is like in the original FSPort mission.

Code: [Select]
$Formula: ( when
   ( true )
   ( allow-weapon "Hornet" )
   ( tech-add-weapons "Hornet" "Banshee" )
   ( tech-add-ships "PVF Thoth" )
)
+Name: New Tech
+Repeat Count: 1
+Interval: 1

$Formula: ( when
   ( true )
   ( allow-weapon "Banshee" )
)
+Name: Maybe New Tech
+Repeat Count: 1
+Interval: 1

I tested this in a shortened campaign file, where Doomsday was the first mission. I played it with both outcomes. So with and without the medal.
Banshee and Hornets were available in the next mission nevertheless. Even i miss all the other weapons in this version, because i skip all missions that unlocks the other weapons beyond the MX-50, Fury and ML-16 of course.

So i am not able to reproduce this error and i can not explain why this one should not work in a full campaign.

I'm now playing Last Hope, and I noticed that Beta wing is not available on the weapons loadout screen.  Alpha is there, but Beta is not.  I expected Beta to be there because that's what I've seen on two youtube videos.  Strangely enough, Beta wing is present in the mission once it starts though. 

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
I'm now playing Last Hope, and I noticed that Beta wing is not available on the weapons loadout screen.  Alpha is there, but Beta is not.  I expected Beta to be there because that's what I've seen on two youtube videos.  Strangely enough, Beta wing is present in the mission once it starts though. 

Yes i know. But that is not a bug this time, that is actually intended. There should also some other missions where this is the case, because within the Story the player have full control over a operation only with the start of the Altair missions. Before this, this happens to make the impression, that there are still other wing leaders who choose their own loadouts.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 11:12:17 am by Novachen »