Author Topic: Release - Moving Arms Sathanas  (Read 7279 times)

Offline Axem

Release - Moving Arms Sathanas
Here's a Sathanas with moving arms, just like the FreeSpace 2 ending cutscene. You can control the arms with the trigger-subobject-animation, using the scripted type. I added a new turret, turret54, that is placed where the 4 arms will meet in the middle. The arms are also set to trigger when "turret54" fires, but the arms reset far too soon to make it look good. Maybe a kind hearted coder can make that work properly. :)

Also included are some additional things to help you recreate that subspace effect the Sath makes from the ending cutscene. There is a scripted sexp that automatically change the 4 arm turrets to a "subspace effect" beam, that fires the beams for a point right in front, and a scripted sexp that causes a subspace effect (made by mjn) to appear for a set duration. These sexps only work with the Sathanas, there are hard coded values in the script.

There's also a sample mission to see how it works. Pressing 1 will make the arms animate, pressing 2 will cause the beams to fire. I'd suggest that maybe just one or the other be used, since the beams look kinda wonky when they are up close, but maybe you don't mind it that way.

How everything is sequenced is up to you. In my tests and sample mission, a delay of about 6-7 seconds after the arms are triggered or the beam firing is triggered seems like the right time to start the real effect.

Have fun!

Here's some old videos of this in action. This was an earlier rev, but the basics are the same. The arm animation is more smoothed out better now.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=154owMgeeqgTKhwTX1dRkOgcfZ5aeSGqG
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 12:23:46 am by Axem »

Re: Release - Moving Arms Sathanas
You made my dream come true! :eek:

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
That is very cool, indeed.  :yes:

That's why HLP had HTTPS issues... HTTPS were subspaceweaponed.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

That is very cool, indeed.  :yes:

That's why HLP had HTTPS issues... HTTPS were subspaceweaponed.

No it was overloaded with awesomeness.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
This is nice.   :yes:

Praise be to Axem.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I've re-downloaded this file 4 times, but I always got a "Error in that File" message. Opening other rars works fine for me.

Offline Axem

Weird, try that link now.

Bizarre. Still doesn't work for me. The JournalSystemViewer file (and every other rar file I have) opens without problems. Anybody else having problems opening the file?

Offline Axem

I just made Winrar archive as a zip that time. Hopefully that'll do it then...

Works fine for me now, thanks! :)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
It always seemed to me in the cutscene that the center of the effect was like a distorted hole in space, with rippling around its edges.  Could perhaps the frame-buffer effect used on shockwaves and engines be used here to give it more of a shimmering effect?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

It always seemed to me in the cutscene that the center of the effect was like a distorted hole in space, with rippling around its edges.  Could perhaps the frame-buffer effect used on shockwaves and engines be used here to give it more of a shimmering effect?

As shockwaves, maybe - they could be overlapping and/or slowly moving. Thrusters - depends on the arrangement, and you probably would need to have another ship (of course you can add them to the Sath too and disable them). But I generally dislike framebuffer shockwaves, they look aweful IMO, and there's no way to add something like that to a single effect. It'd be cool to have some table/script to have something like pre-defined special effects, but it's rather dreaming.

Took a look at the files. Awesome job! :) Just my usual complains now... ;)
-The "replace-turrets-and-fire-in-the-middle" only seems to work on the fire-beam part, if I remove the pre-replaced turret loadouts from the mission it is firing BFReds again.
-The new "arms" subsystems need some flags, they're targetable and can be blown up (not entirely unrealistic, but still).
-The bounding box of the Sath need to be fixed, the arms aren't included. It's an issue that already comes from the MVPs.

Offline Axem

Well, this Sath is mainly meant to be a "special effects" Sathanas, not a replacement for the Sathanas in a typical combat role.

I don't quite understand what your first point is. The "lua-sath-subspace-beams" sexp just changes and fires some beams at a special point, nothing else. If you're editing something, then that's on you. :p

Heh, I was just so hyped about this that I simply didn't wanted to think about the normal Sathanas ever again. :p

What I said about lua-sath-subspace-beams is that the OP implies that it also replaces the BFRed automatically, what it doesn't.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Awesome!

Now we can have Special Ops missions out by the Capella Star and have proper effects.  (mission: enter subspace generated by Sath?)

Awesome!

Now we can have Special Ops missions out by the Capella Star and have proper effects.  (mission: enter subspace generated by Sath?)

I think there's already such a mission, made by Sesq'; can be found in Scroll and on the SA website.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yup, it's called The 4th Vial.

Offline Axem

Oh I see the problem now... What I was checking to see if it worked, the turret was already changed to the subspace weapon in the mission file...

The turrets should be switching, but they're not. I'll look into that tomorrow and hopefully have a fix.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm working on an animated version of the subspace effect. But I'm also working on the cutscenes, the HD interface, and BtA2... ETA is Soon.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Do you mean an animated version of the effect included here or a subspace that could be used as beamglow? I'm asking because there's already an animated one in the new INF release.