Author Topic: Where can I get player help / walkthrough?  (Read 1689 times)

Where can I get player help / walkthrough?
Sorry, have looked through all the sections, don't see anything relevant.
I'm just totally stuck on Operation Templar: Tightening the noose.
have spent hours playing, and need help on a strategy.

hope you guys can direct me to the proper forum section.
Thanks! :yes:

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: Where can I get player help / walkthrough?
There's some walkthroughs on the wiki, unfortunately none seem (from a quick glance) to cover Operation Templar.

https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Category:Campaign_Walkthroughs
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Is it the single player version? I'm not sure if it has been re-balanced while being converted...

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Is it the single player version? I'm not sure if it has been re-balanced while being converted...

Would be interesting, which version of Templar s/he is playing ^^. Because there are several out there :). And some of them are indeed designed and balanced for single player.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The version that's included with FSPort should be properly rebalanced from what I remember.

It's part of FSPort? I always used some version for FS2.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
AFAIK there are following ones:

1.) The original coop campaign by Volition for FS2 that is part of retail.
2.) The single player campaign by Volition for FS2 that was part of the Sim of the Year Edition that was simple the previous coop campaign for single player use.
3.) The single player campaign by another User for FS2 which was simple a rebalanced version of the released Templar campaign for FS2. No idea who rebalanced it back then.
4.) The enhanced rebalanced single player campaign by The FreeSpace Port Team for the FSPort that included a command briefing with some Silent Threat: Reborn references.
5.) The slightly updated and changed one based upon 4.) by myself, that i have released in Nova Upgrade: FreeSpace Port.
6.) And last but not least 4.) was rebalanced and converted back into a coop version again by another user, which is also unknown to me, but only for FSPort multi this time.

That makes at least six different releases of the same campaign i am know of alone ^^. And except for the third mentioned, all of them should be still available easily and are in circulation on HLP during the last couple of months.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 06:48:10 pm by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The original :v: singleplayer port from the Sim of the Year edition is essentially unplayable, since the co-op version is understandably balanced for multiple players and/or respawns.  I never got anywhere with it in my retail days without cheating. The Port version (and Novachen's I'd assume) are far more reasonable.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
There are some playthroughs on YouTube; they might be helpful.

Hey - I'm a man - hence the name :eek2:
thanks for the suggestions.
what does the term "Balanced" mean? I'm guessing that means it was meant for mutliplayer (which I never do) so that a single player really cannot win?

well, I've been so close to completing it that it seems possible, but very difficult.

I'm playing the version from Knossos 0.13.3 - installed the mod "Silent Threat Reborn", then in the campaign list, select "Operation Templar."
the mission is called Tightening the noose.

I guess I don't quite understand how all this stuff works ---
I can access the same mission if I select "FreeSpace Port" and hit PLAY, then select the Campaign "Operation Templar" in the same way.

The Youtube video is pretty good  - but you cannot tell how he instructed the other wings - while he was shooting fighters, what did he tell the other wings to do ?
that's what I need to know, a good strategy of command.

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
what does the term "Balanced" mean? I'm guessing that means it was meant for mutliplayer (which I never do) so that a single player really cannot win?

well, I've been so close to completing it that it seems possible, but very difficult.
Human wingmen will be more competent than AI, so simply porting the mission over without any difficulty changes will massively increase the difficulty, just like what you're experiencing.  A balanced campaign or mission is one that is challenging enough to be fun but not so difficult that it's frustrating or impossible to complete (unless you're deliberately going for a Dark Souls-esque campaign, which isn't really done in FS).
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

wow I may have to give up.
no matter how may ships I clear out, when all is looking great, all my wingmen die off, and I'm left alone,
then another wing of enemy fighters comes in from nowhere and just creams me.
have easily run this mission 50 times now with different strategies...

but I think it's really impossible. :mad:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
What difficulty level are you playing on?  If you are running the version that comes with FreeSpace Port, then it should be within the average player's ability.

There are also a few other videos you could try watching:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=templar+tightening+the+noose