Author Topic: Screencap Contest - April 2019  (Read 5562 times)

Re: Screencap Contest - April 2019
Old school?

Yes, this should do nicely:

And without HUD:

Really highlights those beautiful retail Arcadia textures  :lol:

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Man, I just took a good long look at that one, then looked back at the other shots. Utterly amazing how far this game has come along.

Cool shots also!

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Sticking with the sub-theme "what you first encounter is old school"

The PVF Anubis (here in Hammer of Light-colors, from Light of Antares) is the most old school enemy I can think of - shooting them down since the day I first had to protect the GTC Orff.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 08:26:25 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam

First one was not planned, but I thought it looked cool.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
That's a very late entry from me. Sorry!

Heeeeere's Lindos! Old but new!

A Demon class destroyer can nearly taste the flesh of a crippled Hecate.

One poor Earth Alliance vessel is caught in a trap (158th).
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
A Demon class destroyer can nearly taste the flesh of a crippled Hecate.

That one get's my upvote  :lol:

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Thanks, man! I can only hope I get an upvote from HLP_Prophecy, too!  ;7
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Sorry guys, need a bit longer to judge entries! Great work all around  :nod:

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
When we finally get a high-detail Demon, the current design is gonna look real outdated, real fast.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

I asked about it recently on the FSU board... chances that it happens are VERY tiny... :(

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Reminder that I'm looking for someone to take over screencap contest management/judging! Would immensly appreciate applications. Contact Axem for permission first!

And the winner is... Colt!

This shot is the classic of classic matchups - the two OG heavyweights, Orion and Typhon, duking it out. The relative sparsity of the scene makes it feel like something you'd see in an FS1 mission - but with the added bonus of showing off some of the slick new hi-def textures that the community has produced over the years.  :nod:

Probably the hardest contest I've judged, so many great entries. Some of them would have been sure winners under a wide range of other themes.  :)

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Woohoo!

I asked about it recently on the FSU board... chances that it happens are VERY tiny... :(
An updated Demon for me is my #1 wish, and tied with the Myrm getting a modeled cockpit.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.

Let's make more campaigns featuring the Demon, doing cool stuff - create some urgency and motivate those modelers!

"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

I, for one really like featuring the Demon.
- It's got missile launchers, which can be reconfigured to launch all sort of stuff (also a reason I like Vasudan destroyers)
- Thanks to its large health pool, it's naturally quite resilient and can get involved in longer fights without needing to break out special hitpoints and/or extra tough armor types
- Related to that, its big beams are among the toughest turrets in the game
- It's not overkill-powerful compared to the Ravana due to how its beams are set up (although since it pack LReds, it's still kill-powerful, but hey at least you've got more than 15 seconds to deal with it)
- It's got a pretty good turret coverage, so buffing up its AAA capabilities is fairly easy and effective, compared to Orions, Hecates and Typhons

It's not like the Demon wasn't a good ship, just... it is cursed... :shaking:

Often, the poor modders that tried to HTL this ship disappeared, either for a long time or entirely.