Author Topic: Differences between the current FSO engine and the one used for Wing Commander S  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Zarkov

Differences between the current FSO engine and the one used for Wing Commander S
So I’ve been trying to get freespace style space sims to run on VR headsets. I’ve been using VorpX to get VR experience from these games. Sadly most of these games are too old, since VorpX only supports only DX9 or higher. However VorpX also supports OpenGL, which made me think of FSO.

Now I haven’t been able to get the current version of FSO to work with VorpX. But I have managed to get Wing Commander Saga to work quite well, not perfect but definitely enjoyable. Which is awesome since I’ve wanted to play a mission/story based space sim in VR since I was kid.

However getting FSO to work would be a lot cooler, because there’s such a huge library of mods available. My guess is that the current build of FSO is running a more recent version of OpenGL that just isn’t supported by VorpX.

But It might be something completely different as well, because the Wing Commander Saga was heavily modified version of FSO if I’m not mistaken.
So I was wondering does anybody know which version of FSO was the basis for Wing Commander Saga, or if there’s any repository of old FSO builds available anywhere?

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Re: Differences between the current FSO engine and the one used for Wing Commander S
Well, i would say WCS is based upon 3.6.7 or even earlier, like 3.6.5 before they went rogue with their own branch.

So this is really antic.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 06:14:06 pm by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Differences between the current FSO engine and the one used for Wing Commander S
It's actually based on 3.6.12 or 3.6.14. A little less ancient, but still several major changes behind FSO in terms of graphics infrastructure (we pretty much replaced the entire renderer since then)
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
So this is really antic.

False Friend Alert. She means "ancient".

(While "antique" (!) exists as an english word, it has a somewhat different meaning than the german "antik", as the german word has a much stronger assoication with the historical reference to Ancient Rome or Ancient Greece.)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Zarkov

Cool, Thanks everyone. Version 3.6.12 works with the exact same profile. Pretty much the same result with the difficulty of reading the edges of the screen but everything else looks awesome.  I’m going to try install some old Media_VP’s and see if I can tweak the settings.

Also a general thanks to everyone who was involved with the FSO project and its mods. It’s really cool to keeping these types of games alive.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
So this is really antic.

False Friend Alert. She means "ancient".

(While "antique" (!) exists as an english word, it has a somewhat different meaning than the german "antik", as the german word has a much stronger assoication with the historical reference to Ancient Rome or Ancient Greece.)

Uh... well.  :rolleyes: Thanks.

Oh, still 3.6.12. So i was way too far in the past, because i thought the Prologue was based upon the own branch already. Thanks for clarification, though.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 01:27:05 pm by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.